Transmission issues?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By EChas3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Transmission issues? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; A little nervous here. When I hit around 45 mph, I get a little shudder that lasts a few seconds. ...
    BIGGUYRJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

Transmission issues?

A little nervous here. When I hit around 45 mph, I get a little shudder that lasts a few seconds. About the same speed when I begin to brake, I get a slight surge in speed. Just bought this 05 a couple of months ago and it only has 43k on it! Me thinks it has something to do with the torque converter, perhaps?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

Re: Transmission issues?

I believe there is a TSB for that exact issue, the TC is the culprit from what I've read here.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

BIGGUYRJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6
    I can't find where the TSB notices are. I remember seeing them somewhere...

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

GM Bulletin #06-07-30-030A: 5L40-E/5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shudder, Exhaust Moan, Chuggle Noise at Low Speed and Light Load (Reprogram TCM) - (Sep 5, 2007)

Subject: 5L40-E/5L50-E Transmission Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Surge, Shudder, Exhaust Moan, Chuggle at Low Speed and Light Load (Reprogram TCM)

Models: 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS

2005-2007 SRX, STS

with V6 (VIN Codes 7, N, T -- RPOs LY7, LA3, LP1)

2004-2006 SRX

2005-2006 Cadillac STS

with V8 Engine (VIN Code A -- RPO LH2)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a shudder, surge or chuggle on light throttle under light load just after torque converter clutch (TCC) . Others may comment on an engine exhaust moan in the 1200 RPM range between 65-73 km/h (40-45 mph). This occurs with the transmission at normal and commanding the TCC off with the scan tool will eliminate the concern.

Correction
    New transmission calibrations have been released to correct this condition in both V6 and V8 applications. Reprogram the TCM using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.
    After reprogramming the TCM, if the condition persists and mileage is greater than 40,234 km (25,000 mi), replace the torque converter, flush the transmission, and replace the transmission fluid.
    If the condition still persists, contact the Technical Assistance Center (TAC).

Hope that helps
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUYRJ View Post
    A little nervous here. When I hit around 45 mph, I get a little shudder that lasts a few seconds. About the same speed when I begin to brake, I get a slight surge in speed. Just bought this 05 a couple of months ago and it only has 43k on it! Me thinks it has something to do with the torque converter, perhaps?
    Hello BIGGUYRJ,

I apologize that you are experiencing a transmission issue with your STS. If you are interested in taking it back to the dealership to have them try and diagnose the concern you are experiencing, I would be more than happy to assist. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with if that is the route you would like to pursue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

V8 STS only, but yeah. My TC was < $900 at dealer under extended warranty. My AWD V8 had rough low-speed downshifts at about 80,000 miles.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Famous "chuggle"...very common according to my Cadillac dealer who replaced my TC

SRX was highly prone as well they told me
    First step...reflash the trans......if that doesnt work....then

second step...replace the torque converter.....this worked for me....$1300 paid under warranty....but if this didnt work then

third step...rebuild the trans

Warren

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Never had 'chuggle'. They did update my TCM and I miss the old program. I may end up with doing business with Madtuner when the warranty is done.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.