Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 STS oil problem

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Bought mine about 4 months ago, and within that time period it has gone through 7 quarts of oil. We are currently in talks with our dealership, and the Cadillac support team, but I'm not sure if they are honestly going to do anything about it.

I was just looking to see if any of you other guys had this problem, and what exactly you had someone do to fix it?

By the way it only has 66,000 miles on it, seemed very weird to me.

#4 ·
Look in the 1st Gen CTS forum...TONS of info regarding this problem as well as fixes.

Another 3.6 oil guzzler....damn shame cause it is actually a decent motor when it is running like it is supposed to...

#6 ·
If that's the only thing wrong be smart about a trade. It may be tempting to simply unload your headache but understand the real cost to make it right versus that offer. What if Cadillac & your dealer offered to do rings and valves and split the cost with you. (I don't know what it needs, but it might be worth a lot more in that condition than the 'replacement' beinf offered.

Please don't misunderstand. You know your situation far better than I. But make sure you've exhausted all your options if you really do like the car.

If you'd rather just be done with it? So be it!

#10 ·
I tend to agree. If you've got an STS equipped to your preference; you've got quite a special car.

Forum members report that rings fix the V6 excessive oil consumption. Any flawed timing chains & guides are out of the GM distribution system. An engine rebuild would identify any potential cam issues which really aren't all that common, anyway. You'd be good for the foreseeable future. Anything can happen but your V6 would be fine.

They sold you a car 'fit for use'. Be persistent. Be nice. But 1 quart every 500 miles means adding oil every time you fill the gas!

#18 ·
Persistence is the key to get things done. See if they're willing to work with u on half cost for the ring replacement. Talk to the tech manager and let him know that ur on this forum and heard about piston rings issue.
I noticed that stealerships will often try to convince people that they won't do anything, knowing that the customers will just accept the answer and walk away. They know about issues and try to say anything so they don't have to do it. Especially if they have to do it for free. That's a bad situation for stealerships and they don't want something like that getting out, where everyone will want something done for free.

Good Luck whichever route u go with

#16 ·
If you don't get satisfaction (rebuild, compensation, etc.), I believe I would give your engine a chance by the much assailed 'Italian tuneup'. In addition, and in conjunction with the engine exercising (Italian tuneup), I would use a double concentration of Techron (in your gas) just in case you rings are just 'crudded up' (sticking) and the cylinders and rings are not actually scoured/scuffed. If your problem is rings then this above suggestion probably won't help much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.