I need helpful hints on changing oil on 3.6 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, I need helpful hints on changing oil on 3.6 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just bought this 05 with only 43K miles, and wish to do the oil change myself, as I always have ...
    BIGGUYRJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

I need helpful hints on changing oil on 3.6 STS

Just bought this 05 with only 43K miles, and wish to do the oil change myself, as I always have done. However I am unfamiliar with this vehicle. Is there any special caveats anyone can offer?

For beginners, I see this vehicle uses a cartridge filter, and there is a gasket for the cover, right? Where is it? I haven't been underneath it yet.
    I usually use Mobil 1, however I'm considering going to Amsoil premium, 25K or 1 year change interval.
    I usually flush the engine on my first change. Any problems doing so on this engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Re: I need helpful hints on changing oil on 3.6 STS

BIGGUYRJ, The oil filter is a cartridge. Under the hood on the side of the engine driver side. Unscrew the top off & replace the filter. Drain & refill with oil. Danny

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'd recommend against Mobil1 or anything that isn't recommended. 2005-6 V6 oil should have GM rating GM6094M 5W30. I don't know what you mean by a 'flush'. I'm skeptical.

Mobil1 carries rating GM4718M, perfect for the V8's & later V6's.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Flushing is for toilets...Don't.

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I'd recommend against Mobil1 or anything that isn't recommended. 2005-6 V6 oil should have GM rating GM6094M 5W30.
    Mobil1 carries rating GM4718M, perfect for the V8's & later V6's.

...btw....oil...only a side note...
    ...this is a sticker you can find in the door opening area on an export (this is a 2006) STS...V6 and V8

...note...there is (also) a 0W40 recommendation...for Europe...

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

QUOTE=EChas3;3456225]I'd recommend against Mobil1 or anything that isn't recommended. 2005-6 V6 oil should have GM rating GM6094M 5W30. I don't know what you mean by a 'flush'. I'm skeptical.

Mobil1 carries rating GM4718M, perfect for the V8's & later V6's.[/QUOTE]

My 2005 STS manual and on the oil fill cap, specifies Mobil 1 5W30 for the 3.6 v6 and 4.6 v8 GM 4718M, no mention of GM6094M . I too would be leary of any flush.

carter's_sts is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

I always use Mobil 1 in my V6 (2006) and it also has that on the filler cap.

PzNuts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Mobil1 5W30 here as stated on the oil cap.
    No tricks on the change: Pop the cartridge from the top of the engine, open the drain plug, reverse order and drop oil.
    There is a rather large socket required to get the cartridge off but you can pick it up anywhere.
    Don't know why you would flush the engine that already has 43k on it.

NicholasZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS V8; 2006 STS V6; SOLD: 2004 Deville Base

Cadillac STS Owner's manual, section 5-20 and 5-21 state use only GM6094M registered products with viscosity and thickness SAE 5W-30. The only list I found of registered products for GM6094M is at the location below. The list has Mobil 1 5W-30 as a registered product for both GM4718M and GM6094M. Since this list is from Stanford University and not GM themselves, I'd recommend just verifying that the oil container you purchase states it is a GM6094M registered product and is SAE 5W-30. Just in case there are multiple Mobile 1 5W-30 products?

http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/...ngine_oils.pdf

FYI - Image from STS Owner's manual: STS_Oil.JPG

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

GM6094M & GM4718M have both been superseded by Dexos1™

I think 4718 might have superseded 6094

i do know that i have seen some mobil1 bottles that had both 4718 and 6094 on them

either way you will be fine with any of these three GM oil specs (GM6094M, GM4718M, Dexos1™)

there's a grey area when it comes to oils that "meets or exceeds dexos" - like Amsoil - when it comes to warranty issues, but you're out of warranty and your car never called for dexos anyway, just GM6094
    also, this is a discussion that's already been had a few times over in other areas of this forum
    the short of it is: while technically they're not dexos licensed and tested by GM as such Amsoil will stand behind their product and i doubt the only difference you will notice is in how much it costs vs other dexos oils

on top of all this just stick to the Oil Life Monitor (OLM) and you shouldn't have any oil-related issues
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

NicholasZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS V8; 2006 STS V6; SOLD: 2004 Deville Base

Thanks for the information Chris, I wasn't fully aware of the newer GM Dexos. For anyone that would like additional information, here is one of the more comprehensive web locations I found:

http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html

Key information I took away was to use Dexos 1 not Dexos 2, the first is currently designed for gasoline engines and the second for light duty diesel engines.

BIGGUYRJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6
    Quote Originally Posted by NicholasZ
    Thanks for the information Chris, I wasn't fully aware of the newer GM Dexos. For anyone that would like additional information, here is one of the more comprehensive web locations I found:

http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html

Key information I took away was to use Dexos 1 not Dexos 2, the first is currently designed for gasoline engines and the second for light duty diesel engines.
    Thanks 'Nick'. If you follow your thread further you come to the list of Dexos1 certified lubricants:

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrand...sedbrands.html

I was pleasantly surprised at how many there are on the list. Including the aforementioned Mobil1. I am also surprised at the location of the filter! Finally it's in an easy place to get to, AND it won't spill oil all over the place! Way to go, Cadillac!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.