STS N* v8 MPG
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS N* v8 MPG in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey I'm just curious what everyone else is getting. I have a 2005 with a v8 and I'm getting 11mpg ...
    Cadzilla8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS Northstar V8

STS N* v8 MPG

Hey I'm just curious what everyone else is getting. I have a 2005 with a v8 and I'm getting 11mpg average like 60/40 city/highway I know I shouldn't be expecting very high but still 11 is sorta embarassing haha. I also do not drive very aggressively like maybe once a week ill get it over 4000rpms otherwise nothing crazy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

Re: STS N* v8 MPG

I average about 20-21 with a 75/25 highway/city split...My car rarely moves outside of driving to work these days...If you are driving in a lot of stop and go traffic or encounter a lot of stop lights your mileage is being destroyed. The N* is a pig when not cruising down the freeway, pretty much a truck with 4 doors and a trunk at that point.

How many miles on the car? When were the spark plugs last changed? Do you run fuel system cleaner (Chevron Techron) through your fuel system on a fairly regular basis (I do one bottle every 5k)?
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Subsailor613 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS RWD NAV F55 N*1SF

Depends on your rear end Final ratio, I had a 2005 with a 2.73 and got 16 and 27.
    With the one I have now 2006, it has a 3.23 and 15 and 25.
    Runs great,with a clean Air filter, and Mobile 1.
    I used to have a HEAVY foot, but have calmed down a lot.
    Happy Motoring !

I have a 2.73 ratio. Recently broke 40k miles on the odo. I have a big bottle of Lucas oil cleaner (etc) in the garage I will put some in next fill up. Not sure if the plugs were ever changed

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    That's worse than my V. Doesn't sound right. I get around 16, city/highway mix, with occasional hard driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadzilla8 View Post
    Hey I'm just curious what everyone else is getting. I have a 2005 with a v8 and I'm getting 11mpg average like 60/40 city/highway I know I shouldn't be expecting very high but still 11 is sorta embarassing haha. I also do not drive very aggressively like maybe once a week ill get it over 4000rpms otherwise nothing crazy.

Yeah I wish I could get at least get into the 15 range. But with only 40k miles I can't think my plugs are shot... I changed oil and put new filter in before reset and I'm still getting 11.. I have a volant air intake too which shouldn't hurt my mileage

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Awd v8s are worse than vs.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

That seems like a lot worse. Probably should be in the 15-16 range at least.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Zilla-

If you've got a RWD N* w' 2.73, something does seem wrong. Crappy gas (ethanol) could contribute to your situation but 20 mpg hwy is NOT ambitious at all. Clean the throttle-body & change the air filter if it hasn't been done recently. I assume any idiot lights have received an appropriate response.

To get the best mileage, keep the rpm's at 2k or under.

I have brand new air filter in cleaned throttle body about 2 months ago and am relatively gentle on the throttle. Jason has lead me to believe it might be the fuel filter. I do have 40k miles and I am willing to be it's still the original 7 year old fuel filter on there.

40,000 miles isn't much on a fuel filter and if it's performing well, that doesn't seem likely. Later models don't even consider it a regular service item.

But it's your car. It's in froint of the right rear wheel and takes a special tool.

IMHO, Get your codes read by a good Cadillac dealer before spending any other money.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Since no one else said it, have you checked your intake manifold bolts?

^^^ Very common and throws no codes.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

When I'm in NYC stop and go traffic ill get down to single digits mpg. On the interstate I do about 22mpg. Around here in Fayetteville it's a combination with some retardedly long lights and I really ring this baby out (love to hear the supercharger and feel it pull) and I average around 16mpg. When I used to drive in auto mode I used to get 15 but I noticed the transmission (which is different from yours) was reluctant to shift to 6th so I started driving in manual mode and improved mileage. The v runs the same ratio as the awd by the way, just more power and going to 2 less wheels. And more weight. You're low on mpgs. Not normal. Everything these guys are recommending sounds good. Check codes clean tb, all that.

Have no codes first thing I did check. I'm going to check manifold bolts though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.