Tires...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Tires... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Seems to be a constant topic of discussion here. Does anyone have experience with the Nitto Motivo? These were recommended ...
    ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Tires...

Seems to be a constant topic of discussion here. Does anyone have experience with the Nitto Motivo? These were recommended to me by one of the shops I deal with. I'm looking for something quiet and comfortable. I have never been a big fan of the Continental brand, which some have reported success with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Re: Tires...

Even though you pay a premium.. Michelin pilot sports are what I had on my 07 sts. Liked them a lot. Nice and grippy as well as quiet. Then not long before selling I had to change the rears. Went to Pirelli p6. Great tire but didn't have them long enough to really break them in. Still quite and very grippy. Obviously these were both all seasons. I had the 18inch rims. I would recommend either of these tires.

----------

Still quiet and very grippy. Should've proofread.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on the car right now and find them quite noisy. The reason I'm changing them is because the sidewalls have become deeply cracked. I always maintain recommended pressures so I'm not sure why this is happening. The tires are still 50-60% which is very disappointing. I've always been a big Michelin supporter but I'm also starting to see the same problem on my Bonneville. This also has the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Ive had 3 different sets since OEM Michelins

1st were Michelin A/S Sport Pilots, handled great, great looking tire, superb dry wet and snow traction, directional and asymmetrical so forget rotations, were worn out and rubber was peeling off (yes peeling and flaking off) them at 8k miles, complete junk.

2nd were Pirelli P Zero Nero, handled great, great dry traction very good in rain worked well with AWD in snow would not recommend for a RWD as snow though, asymmetrical so can be rotated left to right at least, lasted about 12k,

3rd and current are Continental Contact DWS, they have been on for 8k and still have 7/32 tread left, asymmetrical so can be rotated left to right, EXELLECENT wet and snow traction I went places my gfs Accord on a set of Blizzaks could not, the fault lies in their dry performance I push the limits of my STS on backroads where I live DAILY and these tires due to their soft sidewalls do not perform nearly as well as the A/S or PZeros I had on before but I also got tired of replacing tires every year so I made the sacrifice.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'm not as impressed with Michelin as I once was. In some cases, it seems like their quest for long life has had adverse consequences. A few years ago, Continental seemed an attractive choice. Times may have changed, again.

Wow I never had those issues with the michelins. That's exactly what I had the pilot sport all seasons. When I replaced the rear tires they were borderline dangerous bald. Still going strong. Something to do with the climate maybe?? Certain climates are not conducive to keeping tires for more than a couple of years due to drying out and cracking. Oh well.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    How old are the tires? I have had some descent luck with touring michelins on another car. Currently I have the Yokohama YK580's and I like them. We actually got them on the wifes car first and I was so impressed put them on the STS when it was time.

I had these Michelin tires installed on April 19, 2011. They currently have a total of 24,346 km (15,122 miles) since new. I have always believed that a person should never be cheap when it comes to tires, brakes, steering or suspension. These cost me about $1,100.00 installed and balanced. I never had this type of problem with Michelin until the last two sets. I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm not impressed (or happy).

I definitely agree on your comment about never going cheap on key components on the car especially where safety comes into play. Sorry the Michelins didn't work out for you.

Med_Phys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Another vote for the YK580

cooncat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8

I use the Kumho LX Premium. They are the touring grade. The seem to have a relatively long life. They are rated for 60,000 miles. They have smooth, quiet and grippy ride.

is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

I never liked the kumho tires. When I had them on my 93 intregra, they lost grip and became noisy at 60% tread life. My IS300 came with Michelins, but the price turned me away when i had to replace them. Then continental DWS came into my life. I drive my RWD IS300 to the mtns in the snow to snowboard. And it rains here in WA 9 months out of 12 and they haven't let me down. I'm on my 2nd set on the rear after 3 yrs and I drive 25k a yr. Fronts are now starting to show their time to be replaced.
    Tire rack dot com and discounttiredirect dot com are the best prices that I found.

Not familiar with the Nittos u were recommended, but Nitro Neo Gens are good summer but bad tread life
    Good luck with whatever tire u get. Let us know which brand u went with

Nitto lists the Motivo as a "All Season Ultra High Performance Radial" with a limited tread wear warranty of 60,000mi/100,000km. They claim to rate very high in ride comfort, wet performance and quietness but dry performance is slightly below their top rating (UTQG Treadwear: 560, Traction: A, Temperature: A). Given my driving style, and what I'm looking for, these will work well for me if they are what they claim to be. More than likely I'll be putting on a set of dedicated winter tires when the time comes.

is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Sounds like a winner with UTQG specs.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I definitely agree on your comment about never going cheap on key components on the car especially where safety comes into play. Sorry the Michelins didn't work out for you.
    Never skimp on your shoes, tires or mattress!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.