STS buying advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS buying advice in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, New person here - thinking about joining you guys and buying an STS. I've looked at a few, ...
    VivienM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

STS buying advice

Hi guys,

New person here - thinking about joining you guys and buying an STS.

I've looked at a few, the one I'm thinking of is a 2007 V6 AWD, 1SB, FE1, with the navigation/15-speaker bose system. 85K kms, though it was originally a US car (seems it was owned by GM for the first little while, then it was imported north).

I saw the list of warranty repairs on the dealer's computer screen, nothing seemed too unusual. Rear axle seal early on, the driver's side door lock recently, etc. There was a GM preowned warranty that ended three weeks ago - I assume that's why the previous owner traded 'er in.

Any general advice? Things I should look for?

Two other things:
    1) the tires seem to be nearly worn. Michelin LX4 or something like that. I've been doing some research, it seems like it's hard to get a good solid boring long-lasting all-season tire in the right size for these cars? Anything you guys would recommend?
    2) just how bad is the fuel consumption on these?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Continental contact dws or Pirelli p zero have my vote.
    is3_ftw and is3_ftw like this.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Re: STS buying advice

Do you specifically want a V6? Not a great deal of difference between V8/V6 mpg.

dannyquest is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

VivienM, My 06 STS V-6 gets about 21 city & 27.5 highway. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    Do you specifically want a V6? Not a great deal of difference between V8/V6 mpg.
    I think so? A couple of reasons:
    1) The V8s on the used market here are all 1SGs, which means magnetic ride - the sense I got lurking on this forum is that magnetic ride is extremely costly to maintain?
    2) V8 requires premium gas, which is another cost...
    3) I'm guessing the V6 burns a lot less gas when it's idling. Traffic here in Toronto is quite awful, so I'm hoping the V6 will be a whole lot more efficient sitting in traffic waiting to turn left?

(Yes, #3 hints at why I'm attracted to this car: I like the ventilated seats and the 15 speaker Bose system for sitting in traffic)

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Drive some differently-equipped STS before buying. Decide the options you want since upgrades are generally difficult/expensive. These cars do vary a lot.

On tires, I'd recommend against the OEM Michelin's. While long-lasting, like most such, they are to hard to have the best traction. I have Conti DWS on my AWD. My wife's RWD gets snow tires in Winter (Blizzak's) & Conti DW in Summer. If you get more than 3 snows a year or can't afford to stay home, get snow tires or AWD.

----------

Our V8's run fine on 87 octane. It's true an AWD 1SG gets poor mileage. All the rest are closer than you'd think.

Guy.Seminerio is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

I have a pretty key piece of advice. In 2007 they went to a 6 speed for the v8, so go 07+ for v8. In 08 they went to a 6 spd for the v6, so 08+ for the v6. Although I'd recommend the 8 over the 6. That's just me. Look up the fuel economy numbers of a 2007 v6 vs a 2007 v8. very close since the v8 had the 6spd.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Drive some differently-equipped STS before buying. Decide the options you want since upgrades are generally difficult/expensive. These cars do vary a lot.
    I've driven... three? A fairly base model that didn't impress me much, a 1SG, and this one.

What options is this car missing? V8? adaptive cruise? the ZF steering rack? magnetic ride? the xenons?

It has the FE1 suspension; if anything I'd rather have a little softer, so I doubt the FE3 would be an improvement.

On tires, I'd recommend against the OEM Michelin's. While long-lasting, like most such, they are to hard to have the best traction. I have Conti DWS on my AWD. My wife's RWD gets snow tires in Winter (Blizzak's) & Conti DW in Summer. If you get more than 3 snows a year or can't afford to stay home, get snow tires or AWD.
    How long do the Conti DWs last?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I have a pretty key piece of advice. In 2007 they went to a 6 speed for the v8, so go 07+ for v8. In 08 they went to a 6 spd for the v6, so 08+ for the v6. Although I'd recommend the 8 over the 6. That's just me. Look up the fuel economy numbers of a 2007 v6 vs a 2007 v8. very close since the v8 had the 6spd.
    Perhaps not coincidentally, the 2008s seem to be way more money than the 2007s around here...

DWS has a 50,000 mile warranty. DW's are a Summer tire and don't have a mileage warranty.

Fleet cars have the softest ride, rentals, etc. as do the ones with 17" wheels. Do you like automatic high beams? The HUD is a really nicw addition to the Nav, IMHO.

I love ACC but not everybody does.

Well the 2008s were a major refresh for the STS, both with appearance and available features. Maybe a 07 v8 is the way to go. By the way, not sure what your budget is, but the STS platinum would be a nice little treat for yourself. Different grille, leather wrapped interior with some nice contrast stitching, and I think that's it.

DWS has a 50,000 mile warranty. DW's are a Summer tire and don't have a mileage warranty.
    In other words, you buy one set every summer?

50,000 miles sounds reasonable.

Fleet cars have the softest ride, rentals, etc. as do the ones with 17" wheels. Do you like automatic high beams? The HUD is a really nicw addition to the Nav, IMHO.
    So, this one is about as soft as can get? FE1, with the S-rated Michelin P235/50R17 on the N93 wheels...

I love ACC but not everybody does.
    Oh, I think I'd love ACC, but that means finding a 1SG with it. The 1SG I looked at two weeks ago didn't...

I don't think people here like V8s as much as down in the U.S., plus the big price premium, so V8s are rare. Really, these cars are rare generally. There are like 70 advertised in the entire province of Ontario, and most of these don't even have the nav/15-speaker sound system.

believe me you're not missing much without the nav.. it sucks. The 15 speakers on the other hand.. very nice. Even the 2014 CTS which is close to the STS in size only tops out at 13 speakers. It's a very nice sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    believe me you're not missing much without the nav.. it sucks. The 15 speakers on the other hand.. very nice. Even the 2014 CTS which is close to the STS in size only tops out at 13 speakers. It's a very nice sound system.
    One thing I've noticed shopping for used cars generally is that very few people seem to get the upgraded sound systems on anything...

One question about the 15 speaker system: will it output sound out of all 15 speakers from an FM radio source? (presumably using some kind of fake 5.1 surround algorithm)

----------

Oh, one other question about the nav. Does the bluetooth work passably with an iPhone?

I disagree on the Nav. It works fine with the later map disks & the firmware upgrade.

Most Michelin's are rock-hard after a couple years and dangerous when when it's wet; lose them and the ride will improve regardless of the replacements.

Fleet & rental cars get some or all of the following RPO's:

6LJ - SUSPENSION
    7LJ - SUSPENSION COMPONENT
    8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    FCH - Or similar
    FE1 - 4 WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
    FLT - FLEET PROCESSING OPTION
    GU2 - AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO = > 25 mpg
    JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
    JJD - I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
    JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
    JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    The v6 burns something much worse than gas, oil. They eat it big time and have timing chain issues. The v6 wouldn't even be an option IMHO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.