Sunroof Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Sunroof Problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need some insight on my sunroof won't close all the way. I press the button to close it all ...
    army_kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Sunroof Problems

I need some insight on my sunroof won't close all the way. I press the button to close it all the way and it leaves about an inch or two gap. Then I press the tilt button and it closes the gap but leaves a gap in the back and the glass isn't flush like its supposed to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Sunroof Problems

Quote Originally Posted by army_kid View Post
    I need some insight on my sunroof won't close all the way. I press the button to close it all the way and it leaves about an inch or two gap. Then I press the tilt button and it closes the gap but leaves a gap in the back and the glass isn't flush like its supposed to.
    Hello army_kid,

I understand how this can be a frustrating situation. I am unable to offer any technical advice as to how a vehicle is functioning, because I am not a certified technician. If you would like to get your vehicle checked out by a mechanic, and want help setting up a dealership appointment, please let me know.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Consider a body shop over a Cadillac dealer.

There's not too many out here where I live but I'll call around if it comes down to it. I'm just wondering if there's a tool I can use to close the roof all the way without any gaps and what have ya. If it rains, then I'm screwed.

Don't use duct tape. Blue Painter's masking tape comes in wide rolls and comes off gently. You could use a waterproof tape over it in the color of your car until repairs are complete.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Touch the + and - cables together when you disconnect them. Whatever you do don't lock yourself out of the car like I did with my 07 STS before I sold it. Left the damn key in the car. That's why I like how the new fobs have the key in them. Let us know what happens.

06 STS Rob is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS

The s/r in my 06 did something similar... I generally only use the vent but I had decided to open it one day and it wouldn't close. The sun roof would almost close, then open itself back up again. I tried closing it several times but it kept opening again. (kinda like the freaking garage door when it's wet) I looked in the roof track and found that a plastic trim peice had worked itself loose and was jamming the sun roof when it got close to closing. I just pulled the piece out and it closed as normal. That was the last time I ever opened the sun roof fully!
    I would try checking the tracks to be sure there are no obstructions before going to a shop. I always try the simple stuff first.

I disconnected the battery and it's still doing it, looked at the track the best I could with a flashlight and didn't see any obstructions, so I'm back to square one plus the plastic bag and masking tape with everyone looking at it like "Woah dude!" I just don't want to pay an arm and a leg (and if it comes to it, a spleen too) for something not so major.

Sunroof was our '98 STS' 'strike 2'.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    There is a sunroof motor relearn procedure that a dealer should do when replacing the motor. I wonder if they could do that same thing with your current one to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    There is a sunroof motor relearn procedure that a dealer should do when replacing the motor. I wonder if they could do that same thing with your current one to fix it.
    I think I'm going to see if that works and how much I have to pay if anything. Uncle Sam doesn't pay too well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.