New to forum & Help!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, New to forum & Help!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi my name is Topaz. I am new to any type of forum. I have a 2005 & 2008 STS. ...
    topaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 STS

New to forum & Help!!!

Hi my name is Topaz. I am new to any type of forum. I have a 2005 & 2008 STS. I signed up because I have been reading your forums and have been having a problem with the 2005 and was hoping there was someone out there that could help. We have done everything and even took it to the dealer that connected it to the diagnostics and said nothing was wrong with it. That was $70 out the window :/ The car just died out of the blue,totally. The night before smoke came out of the steering column. It drove home ok. My daughter drove it the next day, we went out in my car and came back and it was dead. Had put a new battery in 2 weeks before. They told us it was a bad battery. Exchanged it and car is still dead. Now after the dealer. Car magically started, but there are no turn signals working, back up lights, trunk won't open and seats don't work. Already checked all the fuses. They are all good. Know it is electrical but where?
    Any suggestions? Any help would be so much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New to forum & Help!!!

Moved to the proper "STS" forum ............

Welcome Aboard !!!!

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I've never heard of this before so there's no known issue that we could direct you towards. I would check all grounds and check the cables going from the battery to the alternator.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Welcome to the forums. I'm gonna throw an idea out there that may be a long shot. Alternator? I feel like you wouldn't be able to start the car though. But once when I was on a long road trip in a previous car (2002 Eldo ETC) and the battery messages started coming up and all these little lights, traction control, stability system, a bunch of little miscellaneous electrically operated things stopped working. Needed a new alternator. As soon as I shut the car off it never went back on of course. What does your battery voltage read right now if you were to drive the car. The battery voltage reading on the driver information system that is. Also, you say the car magically started, only now with all these miscellaneous things not working. Has the dealer looked at the car since? If the dealer sees that all these little electrical things are out, I'm sure they can no longer say there's nothing wrong with a straight face, although we all know how unbelievably horrible cadillac dealer service is. It is so blatant.. I find it so unbelievable how incompetent, dishonest, lazy or all of the above Cadillac dealer service is. Just a moment of passion there because I've been wronged by them as have many others. I've read over your post 3 times now over the duration of my writing this response... smoke from the steering column.. wires getting cooked? I thought the fuses were there to prevent this but might this be what was happening there?? Someone who knows a lot more than me will chime in but these are my thoughts and questions. In any event, assuming my shots in the dark are completely off, I hope you do soon get this problem solved. Good luck topaz.

EDIT Not all cadillac service stations sorry. I was generalizing out of rage. I'm sure there are a lot of good ones, like Rippy's

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Like you, there are two STS in my garage. I'm not sure how long you've owned yours, but these are sophisticated cars and dealers can provide good value and know how. Some are better than others and you may have more control over your dealership experience than you realize.

Part of it's basic. Be nice.
    Don't roll-over, but you can be nice and persistent at the same time. You don't have to take no for an answer. Take your time.
    If you don't get the answers you want, ask for options. Can you speak with the Service Manager. Can they escalate to a Cadillac Zone Manager. Don't give up.

One time, I talked my wife into making a tray of brownies when she was taking her 2007 in for service. To this day. they give her the best loaner on the lot!

Get mad if you want but sugar works better.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

HAHAHA!! I'd look into that but I'm not much of a baker. Great story though. Believe me I'm quite diplomatic until my bs radar starts going. I really do hold it in until I really feel like they're attempting to take advantage of me. At that point diplomacy is out the window. I really feel for the people who buy their crap because they don't know any better.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

BS doesn't bother me; it's a sign of weakness. The result is what matters.

topaz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 STS

Thank you all for your help. With nice complaining all the way up to service director after 3 weeks and car still not working. Car is now at dealer and they are going to look at it at no charge to find out the problem. Thanks for the good advice

----------

Ok. When it rains it pours. Now my 2008 STS threw a code according to OnStar P2601. Looked it up and it could be the auxiliary coolant pump. Is this correct? Do I change the fuse first as I read and go from there or would changing the pump be the best thing to do? Is this an easy change out or should I take it to the dealer?
    Thank you all again for your help

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Autozone will pull codes for free. I've only had them pull codes once each from my 2006 STS and my wife's 2002 Bonneville. They've were dead on both times. Work ultimately done at dealership.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

for 'simple' issues their scanner will work, however non engine / emissions related will likely leave you without a clue.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

A little advice...

First, if you had actual smoke coming from the steering column, this needs to be investigated. There is the possibility of wiring/component problems causing parasitic draw and draining the battery. Generally, batteries in the STS are a problem, but smoke is a whole other issue. This may cost a few dollars because there is some work in getting the column apart to the point it can be properly assessed.

Second, be careful about throwing parts at diagnostic trouble codes. There are often problems that can occur which will cause a code to be set, but the problem may not be with the component identified by the code. Troubleshooting is often not that straight forward and there are usually several diagnostic steps taken to correctly identify the actual fault (wiring/connectors as opposed to an actual component or another system that creates an environment variable or parameter that will trigger a code elsewhere). Many, many people have replaced components and come back only to say they are still having a problem. If you're not experienced in troubleshooting and don't have access to the correct resources (service manual, special tools, etc), then I recommend taking the vehicle to a trusted service provider. This may seem more expensive, but sometimes it will actually be less in the long run.

Best of luck moving forward. Please advise on what steps are taken to resolve your issues.

I don't know enough to debate what their scan tool can or cannot do, but Autozone identified a bad oxygen sensor on my wife's car.

I was killing time and wanted to know why the "check engine" light was on. And there is a store less than two miles from where I live. I figured what the heck. Since the OP was concerned about spending $70 for diagnostics at the dealership, having Autozone try to pull some codes might be start.

Quote Originally Posted by malatu View Post
    Since the OP was concerned about spending $70 for diagnostics at the dealership, having Autozone try to pull some codes might be start.
    Nothing wrong with that at all, I just caution people about what they do with the information once they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    Nothing wrong with that at all, I just caution people about what they do with the information once they have it.
    I agree! It may or may not give him the info he needs or wants. 99% of all my work gets done by the dealership anyway. Having the code from Autozone gave me a piece of mind, particualry when the dealership pulled the exact same code. The dealership ain't cheap but I've had nothing but quality experiences with the two I use.

Back to the OP, one point to mention is which engine you have in each of the cars. Anytime there are questions, especially drivetrain, this is very important.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.