Adding Satellite Radio to a 2005 non navi STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Adding Satellite Radio to a 2005 non navi STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello everyone, My 2005 STS radio has AM/FM, CD Changer, and Bose System. It was not wired for Satellite radio. ...
    DBB
    DBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

Adding Satellite Radio to a 2005 non navi STS

Hello everyone,

My 2005 STS radio has AM/FM, CD Changer, and Bose System. It was not wired for Satellite radio. My installer has suggested that I use the below components to add Satellite to my existing system. The components should run thru the SAT band on the radio. He said that if the radio is Satellite radio capable (obviously not ready -in my case ) then I can get satellite radio and Bluetooth capability with the below items. Has anyone successfully done this or is there a thread on this?

Thanks,
    DBB
    http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=isgm574

http://www.installer.com/item/displa....php?it=issr11

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=scc1

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Adding Satellite Radio to a 2005 non navi STS

I've been active here for quite a while and can't recall anyone putting in the effort to upgrade a base radio like yours just to add XM. I could certainly be wrong but the links you provided appear to show products designed to pirate the XM interface to provide another input to the system. I know that's how my uPAC-STS provides HD radio (useless) and iPod (useful). You don't have that; I don't see how it would work.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to dive in the deep end and install an aftermarket head-end with add-in's to handle saving the car's driver preference features when needed.

Regardless, if you can get a cash return warranty, have at it!

DBB

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I've been active here for quite a while and can't recall anyone putting in the effort to upgrade a base radio like yours just to add XM. I could certainly be wrong but the links you provided appear to show products designed to pirate the XM interface to provide another input to the system. I know that's how my uPAC-STS provides HD radio (useless) and iPod (useful). You don't have that; I don't see how it would work.

In your shoes I'd be tempted to dive in the deep end and install an aftermarket head-end with add-in's to handle saving the car's driver preference features when needed.

Regardless, if you can get a cash return warranty, have at it!
    I was originally wanting to install an aftermarket head unit. However after reading a number of threads I was left believing that I would have to forfeit most of the creature comforts like seat memory....If there are add-in's to preserve the features can someone please let me know.

I recommend doing some searches using your favorite tool in the form of "cadillac forums sts aftermarket radio driver preferences" or variations of that. I think there's someone doing it.

Leave out "Cadillac forums" to search beyond this site.

Good luck.

PS - or you could just be lazy and wait for someone who's done it to notice & post, assuming they aren't lazy, too.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

When GM indicates the stereo is "XM Ready", it means that the head unit is capable of communicating with an OEM S-Band receiver module used to provide XM audio. My 2004 Bonneville was also 'XM Ready'. It was an option in the US, but not Canadian vehicles due to CRTC regulations at that time. I built a wiring harness, purchased all of the OEM components and added factory XM to my Bonneville. I see no reason, other that cost, effort and technical ability why this should not be possible in the STS also. Aftermarket may be easier, but I'm pretty hard-core OE. As far as the wiring required, the module will connect a left, right and common audio signal to the existing audio system, along with power, ground and a connection to the vehicle data bus (this is how the head unit commands the receiver to change stations, etc). There is also a single coax cable required to connect to the roof mount antenna. There are two versions of the roof mount antenna. One is for cars with XM and the other is for cars without. You would also require a new roof mount antenna to make the whole system work.

DBB
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    When GM indicates the stereo is "XM Ready", it means that the head unit is capable of communicating with an OEM S-Band receiver module used to provide XM audio. My 2004 Bonneville was also 'XM Ready'. It was an option in the US, but not Canadian vehicles due to CRTC regulations at that time. I built a wiring harness, purchased all of the OEM components and added factory XM to my Bonneville. I see no reason, other that cost, effort and technical ability why this should not be possible in the STS also. Aftermarket may be easier, but I'm pretty hard-core OE. As far as the wiring required, the module will connect a left, right and common audio signal to the existing audio system, along with power, ground and a connection to the vehicle data bus (this is how the head unit commands the receiver to change stations, etc). There is also a single coax cable required to connect to the roof mount antenna. There are two versions of the roof mount antenna. One is for cars with XM and the other is for cars without. You would also require a new roof mount antenna to make the whole system work.
    Thanks ddalder! I appreciate your insight. I would prefer to only add XM radio to the original stock head unit. To me it seems that any modification to this vehicle's radio is no simple process. So no matter if I replace the stock head or add on to it a number of things have to happen. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get this system right.

With that said I have a question for you:
    1. Is every stock radio "XM Ready"?

Thanks again for your very informative insight.

DBB

I don't know a lot about the non-navigation radios in the STS, however in 2003, many GM radios were XM Ready. Generally speaking, if a GM radio has a 'BAND' button instead of one marked 'AM/FM', it is XM Ready. I would be very surprised if yours wasn't. It may be necessary to use a Tech2 scan tool to turn on the XM functionality (I had to do this with my Bonneville). I have my own Tech2 so it wasn't a problem, but you may need to approach a GM dealer to help you with this.

I had expected the pricetag on that tool to moderate, but ebay sellers are still around $1,500 & up.

Do dealers buy them to encourage business?

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Do dealers buy them to encourage business?
    Not sure what you mean.

They are still pricey tools. One problem is of course the ability to update the software. There are regular updates for these. It is possible to purchase a subscription through ACDelcoTDS for this but it isn't practical unless you have a business due to the cost. With the newer MDI interface, the Tech2 isn't used nearly as much anymore. I am a little surprised the price has remained high, except that for older cars it's still a great tool to have.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    What's the MDI interface? Does that connect directly to a laptop? What year did they switch to that?

MDI - Multiple Diagnostic Interface. This is an interface that connects the OBD-2 port on the vehicle to a PC. It has support for Ethernet networking. All diagnostic and programming functions can be completed using the PC and (especially programming) at speeds much greater than the Tech2. Some newer cars require the use of this interface as the Tech2 cannot perform some of the newer functions. GM now strongly discourages programming vehicle modules with the Tech2, although it is still possible in some cases depending on the vehicle/module in question. The MDI has been around for a few years now but I'm not sure when it was first introduced.

If you look on eBay under automotive tools and search for GM MDI you'll see what one looks like.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Thanks for the info.

I was suggesting that delaer service departments (or GM) might find an economic advantage in buying up Tech 2's. By keeping the supply limited, GM car owners would have fewer alternatives for service.

It was meant to stimulate dialogue as a sarcastic comment. If GM actually limited access in that way, some third-party service provider would likely sue for access.

DBB
    Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    When GM indicates the stereo is "XM Ready", it means that the head unit is capable of communicating with an OEM S-Band receiver module used to provide XM audio. My 2004 Bonneville was also 'XM Ready'. It was an option in the US, but not Canadian vehicles due to CRTC regulations at that time. I built a wiring harness, purchased all of the OEM components and added factory XM to my Bonneville. .
    Can you share/ document the process of the wire harness you built?

I'll try and post some additional pics/info over the next day or two.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.