STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I know a few people are looking to lower an STS but nothing is available. I looked over my ...
    professor_speed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-4

STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits)

So I know a few people are looking to lower an STS but nothing is available. I looked over my buddies CTS-V2 and ever thing looked inter changeable to me. I have an 05 sts 4 with mag ride so your results may be a bit different.

I looked at what spring rates were available and decided to go with eibach CTS springs for Gen2 3.6. for the most part every thing went in as if it were made for the STS. Now there are multiple paths that can be taken depending on what you want I will cover what I know.

With the springs I used the car will sit low. I started with a front fender height of 28 1/2 and rear of 29 1/8. I went through a few stages. first with the springs in stalled and no modifications to the ride height sensors I ended up at 26 3/8 front and 28 3/4 rear. So the front dropped 2 1/8 and the rear 3/8 lol Damn air bags. I unhooked the rear ride sensors and zip tied them all the down. This makes the car think the back end is high and will deflate the bags to a minimum pressure. the rear droped to 27 1/2 or 1/5/8" drop. not bad but still above the front. I then cut one of the lower coils from the rear eibach springs and that got me to 26 3/4. Its low for sure but, even now. should Look great On 20's

Next I needed to re work my ride height sensor rods. based on the motion ratio one would need to lengthen them about 1/4" per 1" drop. so I added 1/2". (5.5") I popped off the plastic ball cups and used 1/4" threaded rod to make new rods, it cost me $1.49

The car rides fine its not bouncy but it is a bit more harsh on pot holes,rapid bumps and such. The body is well controlled I have no complaints.

In theory if a person wanted a 1" front drop and wanted to level the rear you could use either a stock cts front springs and either eibach rears with 1/4" longer rod or cut 3/4-1 coil from the stock cts rears. I would think ctsv springs would be a bit stiffer and better suited to the weight of the sts.

In all there are options to STS owners who want to lower there sts, it might be little work but hell the springs might be available for almost nothing.

good cts spring info here http://www.cadillacowners.com/forum/...ibach-Engineer

The only info I could find sts spring rates, non v models are said to be 10-20% softer. http://www.topspeed.com/cars/cadilla...v-ar11514.html

Good luck Guys I hope this helps the guys that want to drop there STS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Too low for my tastes sounds like. Ill stick with trying to get a set of STSV springs

Re: STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits)

Yeah lots of STS owners are very modification conservative. The Cts-v2 springs may have a similar effect and will be way easier to find. might even be worth trying 1/4" longer rods for your rear ride height sensors. might drop the rear 1/2", I cant stand the ridicules rake these cars have stock. the body already has some what of a big but but then coupled with the rake makes butt second only to a C5

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

but isn't it all about the butts?

Four Fins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 Sedan, 06 STS

So it sounds like my stock 06 FE1 springs can be swapped out easily with some eibach cts springs. Great news. Most importantly, wheres the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    but isn't it all about the butts?
    Like Sir-mix-alot, I can not Lie

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fins View Post
    So it sounds like my stock 06 FE1 springs can be swapped out easily with some eibach cts springs. Great news. Most importantly, wheres the pictures?
    Here you go I hope you like it low. but like I said stock cts-v2 stuff should be about 1 inch less of a drop. sorry it rained about an hour ago so the ride is a bit dirty.

New theme song lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-zCELtfVw
    is3_ftw and is3_ftw like this.

Four Fins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 Sedan, 06 STS

That looks sweet, would be dope with 20's. I like low, nearly every vehicle I've owned has been lowered or on air.

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    It looks gorgeous. Can I get a ballpark price range what it cost you?

Thanks Guys, springs were less than $300 iirc threaded rod cost $2 also in hind site I shout have cut the front bump stops. I guess the cts guys do it to keep the front font from squeaking and bottoming out. but its no big deal I will do it next week, I can get the struts out in under 15 mins now. Also it occasionally throws a suspension code now. I'm going to lengthen the front ride height rods and see if that helps. I also have a set of 20x9 front and 20x11 (5.5" lip) rears I'm trying to get to work the off set is pretty agressive +13 both. I have a fender roller that should be here this week so I can pull the fenders.

STS Serge 172 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Drop is looking mighty! Good wrk on being a pioneer!

Nice wheel size! I been doing some research and trying to source an airbag sispension and I got a solid lead--in the meantime I wanted to see what kind of wheels I could fit but will be difficult to determine without having the drop in place.

From what I measured fitting a 20X10+ will require to run some higher offsets :/ if all my measurments are accurate I plan on running something along the lines of: Front--20X10 +32 Rears--20X11 +39; this is at 0 camber th0, I'm sure it'll change once dropped.

Again without the drop it's hard to determine but that's my plan till I source the airbag suspension.

I look forward to see how the +13 offset fits--the fenders on the STS are already flat (rolled) on the inside so pulling them would be the next step for sure. Keep us posted!

williestacks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Quote Originally Posted by professor_speed View Post
    Thanks Guys, springs were less than $300 iirc threaded rod cost $2 also in hind site I shout have cut the front bump stops. I guess the cts guys do it to keep the front font from squeaking and bottoming out. but its no big deal I will do it next week, I can get the struts out in under 15 mins now. Also it occasionally throws a suspension code now. I'm going to lengthen the front ride height rods and see if that helps. I also have a set of 20x9 front and 20x11 (5.5" lip) rears I'm trying to get to work the off set is pretty agressive +13 both. I have a fender roller that should be here this week so I can pull the fenders.

so you're saying CTS V2 factory and/aftermarket suspension components work? as if I were to purchase coil overs for the CTS V2 they would fit on my 06 STS? (non mag/air)

DBB
    DBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6
    What are the factory rake/ front and rear ride height settings for a 2005 STS V6 FE1 soft ride suspension? How much higher should the rear sit vs. the front?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife's car is 28.5" to the top of all 4 wheelwells on OEM 17" wheels. It's Summer, so the tires are Conti DW 235/50R17. It's a 2007 with FE1 with some other suspension options that may be unique to fleet/rentals (listed below).

For comparison, my 2006 AWD 1SG on Conti AWS 235/50R18 w' F55 & FE3 (Sport + MRC) is 29" in front and 28" in back. I do run the back tires about 2psi lower but that is its usual stance, anyway.

2007 suspension RPO's
    6LJ - SUSPENSION
    7LJ - SUSPENSION COMPONENT
    8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    FCH - HERTZ RENT A CAR
    FE1 - 4 WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
    FLT - FLEET PROCESSING OPTION
    GU2 - AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO
    JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
    JJD - I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
    JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
    JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED

is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Quote Originally Posted by williestacks View Post
    so you're saying CTS V2 factory and/aftermarket suspension components work? as if I were to purchase coil overs for the CTS V2 they would fit on my 06 STS? (non mag/air)
    If I'm correct on this, the springs are placed over the stock shocks. So ur still using the same top and bottom mounting points. Where the CTS coilovers might have a different mounting points and will not fit on the STS.

DBB
    DBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    My wife's car is 28.5" to the top of all 4 wheelwells on OEM 17" wheels. It's Summer, so the tires are Conti DW 235/50R17. It's a 2007 with FE1 with some other suspension options that may be unique to fleet/rentals (listed below).

For comparison, my 2006 AWD 1SG on Conti AWS 235/50R18 w' F55 & FE3 (Sport + MRC) is 29" in front and 28" in back. I do run the back tires about 2psi lower but that is its usual stance, anyway.

2007 suspension RPO's
    6LJ - SUSPENSION
    7LJ - SUSPENSION COMPONENT
    8HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    9HC - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
    FCH - HERTZ RENT A CAR
    FE1 - 4 WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
    FLT - FLEET PROCESSING OPTION
    GU2 - AXLE REAR, 2.73 RATIO
    JJA - PT DRESS SUBASSEMBLY INSTALLED
    JJD - I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
    JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
    JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED
    Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.