STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok guys I have some updates and more info that may help those that want to lower there sts or ...
    professor_speed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-4

Re: STS Lower springs (YES! cts stuff fits)

Ok guys I have some updates and more info that may help those that want to lower there sts or sts-v. Again all my info is based off my own car so you experience may vary a bit.

Cts gen 2 springs will work and have been working well in my car there are four types of springs that I have info on

STS stock Front 364 lbs linear rear 388 linear (estimated based on 15 less stiff than STS-V)
    STS-V stock Front 428 lbs linear Rear 456lbs linear
    1. stock cts-v springs Front -0.650 rear +0.350 400lbs linear front and rear from what I can tell
    2. Eibach cts-v sedan springs Front -1.250 400-457lbs progressive rear -0.750 (or 1.375 one coil cut) 331-605lbs progressive
    3. Eibach cts-v coupe springs Front -1.875 400-457lbs progressive rear -1.375 (one rear coil cut) 331-605lbs progressive
    4. Eibach cts v6 springs Front -1.875 400-514lbs progressive rear -1.375 (one rear coil cut) 274-582lbs progressive (what I run)

Notes:
    -front bump stops must be cut!, If you don't expect a bounce squeaky ride.
    -Cut the bump stops at the first convolution.
    -I used anti seize in the bump stop between the foam and metal collar to prevent and squeaks. (I have no squeaks)
    -If you have air bags or MRC you must lengthen your ride height rods front and rear.
    -Currently I added 3/8 to the front and 5/8 to the rear.
    -If nothing is done to the rear the air bags will lift the car back to near stock
    -If nothing is done to the front it will throw a "service suspension" code, the front shocks freak out and groin then go in to limp mode (softest setting)
    -If you have Nivomat rear shocks You need to modify the mounting point of the shock an amount equal to the expected drop to keep them from pumping back up (I have no more info on how to cause I don't have those shocks sorry)

----------

2005 STS 20x10 front 255/35/20, 20x11 rear 285/30/20 +35 offset both Varrstoen es1 wheels

williestacks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

to professor_speed and others with the knowledge,

that drop looks awesome. I totally plan to go the same route you did with the CTS V2 springs. but by saying V2, you mean VERSION 2? or the 2nd gen CTS V model? im assuming you mean the 2008-2011 CTS NON-V model? just trying to get a little clarification before I purchase.

I have found lowering springs for the STS-V and I planned to just cut an extra coil or two, but I imagine for the V model they are intensely too stiff as is, so id rather stay away from springs meant for V models. Id totally prefer coilovers, or even coil-over-air. as having a pneumatic system would be awesome but the only thing I can find is universal air bag kits, the "air struts" are old style two bellow bags. im looking more for air-rods that keep suspension body roll stiff like coilovers and rides soft as the factory suspension. hence why coil-over-air is the best setup possible today. but its 5k+ investment and im sure the CTS and STS upper and lower strut tower mounts are completely different.

so with saying all that unless anyone has any info on other options I think ill go with the CTS V2 springs (assuming you mean the 2nd gen CTS base model) love the wheel combo as well. I was going for the same sizing but im glad I got to see what +35 offset looks like and im digging it. I was really unsure how far to go on the offset since I plan to drop my STS to nearly an undrivable state. I plan for it to be on the GROUND. if you have any words of advice id appreciate it.

also, with the +35 offset, say I lowered my rear another 2 inches than your photos show. regardless of the tires, but with +35 offset will the lip of the wheels tounch the fender? or tuck? im gonna guess id have a little neg camber going even lower so theyd probably tuck, and that's the look im going for.

thanks for any help. and your STS looks great.

I put spring rates, how much you can expect the car to be lowered with various cts-v sedan, cts-v coupe, cts v6 and stock cts-v (all generation 2) If you try to go 2" lower than I did, you will need non factory front struts, you will have no travel otherwise and it will ride like crap. The way the suspension works camber does not add much clearance. +35 offset question will depend on wheel width. 9" wide +35 will probably tuck fine. My wheels are pretty aggressive as far as width and tucking them any more might cause rubbing. I have no rubbing with my set up.

STS Serge 172 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

So I see you didn't go with the +13 offset afterall with you're fairly wide wheels lol I was curious to see how you were gonna manage to fit those under stock fenders and neutral camber--either way, your STS is on point! I luv it! Flush! just what I'm aiming for!

I do have a few questions--was camber not effected after the drop? Seems like the front might have just a bit but the rear not much at all?

Yeah camber is affected. I still need an alignment. Camber is not the real problem though, these cars run 0 camber from the factory so even with a drop I was at about 1.5 front and 2 degrees rear. The big problem is the rear toe curve, the car jump around over bumps. I just reset the camber to help with the rear toe curve, but I have not done a full alignment yet. I still want to wait for my hub rings for the wheels. (these wheels are 5x114.3 not 5x115 so there is small oscillation until the rings arrive. Right now the fronts are flush and the rear is over flush by about 15mm but with the stretch I have its perfect. I will probably run about 1 degree neg camber front and rear, I wanted the car lower but to drive 99% the same. (which it does) The 20x11 +13 was just too much I would say 11 wide with a 35 offset is right on the money for the rear.

ITSQUIK is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    I'll post the info once I find out, but I am in the process of trying to get custom built front air ride struts & rear air ride shocks to be able to have adjustable ride height. Obviously, everyone knows the suspension Mods for our cars is Extremely Limited!!!! This is how mine sits now on Staggered 22's, 22x11 rear with a 295/25/22. She is actually in the body shop now having some serious custom work done. I'm flaring the 1/4 panels out slightly to tuck a 22x13 rear with a 325/20/22, smoothing the rear bumper, molding in the V-coupe exhaust, & a bunch of other little mods to make it Unique!! I'll post those pics as soon as she's out!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Very beautiful car.

ITSQUIK is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio
    Very beautiful car.
    Thank you Very Much!!

Quote Originally Posted by professor_speed View Post
    Yeah camber is affected. I still need an alignment. Camber is not the real problem though, these cars run 0 camber from the factory so even with a drop I was at about 1.5 front and 2 degrees rear. The big problem is the rear toe curve, the car jump around over bumps. I just reset the camber to help with the rear toe curve, but I have not done a full alignment yet. I still want to wait for my hub rings for the wheels. (these wheels are 5x114.3 not 5x115 so there is small oscillation until the rings arrive. Right now the fronts are flush and the rear is over flush by about 15mm but with the stretch I have its perfect. I will probably run about 1 degree neg camber front and rear, I wanted the car lower but to drive 99% the same. (which it does) The 20x11 +13 was just too much I would say 11 wide with a 35 offset is right on the money for the rear.
    The OEM components have that much adjustability in camber? I dont mind running -1 to -2° camber (im currently running -3.5° on my accord ).

On my pervious post on the 1st page I stated that 20X11 +39ish is what I was aiming for--my calculations were pretty close but I knew it wouldnt be perfect without knowing the actual drop.

Thanks for the clarification! But are you gonna switch up your tire size from the current setup? I like how they mildly stretch.

Are these the ones you used:

http://performance-suspension.eibach...ion/buy_online

If it is in fact the 08+ these should wrk also?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-LOWERING...ht_1952wt_1396

Or is it 03-07 V6?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EIBACH-PRO-K...ht_2686wt_1091

Sorry for the all questions :/

I used 08+ eibach v6 springs

----------

20x11 +39 should work 4mm is not much, Im not changing tires any time soon, this was the look I wanted. with a 20" wheel it will run into the sway bar and toe link if you run too much off set (higher numbers) with a 22 you have more clearance. its really only an issue at full drop. the wheels swings away as the arms move up.

Quote Originally Posted by professor_speed View Post
    I used 08+ eibach v6 springs

----------

20x11 +39 should work 4mm is not much, Im not changing tires any time soon, this was the look I wanted. with a 20" wheel it will run into the sway bar and toe link if you run too much off set (higher numbers) with a 22 you have more clearance. its really only an issue at full drop. the wheels swings away as the arms move up.
    Yes; when I was taking measurements, I noticed the sway bar was the nearest of all things to touch 1st.

With, +22, it would infact bring it away from the inside but cause more poke--so a 20X11 +22 is prob too much as you have stated.

Anyhow, all-in-all, great work! Love the stance and I think I might attempt this with the H&R springs if I don't hear back from airbagit.com soon.

Thanks again for your time!

Any update boss??

How is she riding? Alignment specs?

No real problems, I'm happy with the car. It looks fantastic the pics do not do it justice. The car gets comments and looks everywhere it goes. Especially because the Girl drives it most times. She says The car has intimidated the guys at the gym they don't hit on her anymore. I think they feel she is too far out of their league, lol
    Charles Warren likes this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Sweet!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.