Passenger Side View Mirror (Motor) Replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Passenger Side View Mirror (Motor) Replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    jkharnage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Passenger Side View Mirror (Motor) Replacement

My passenger side view mirror is sticking and making clicking sounds while trying to move into position depending on the driverís memory positions. I have checked this forum but donít see any information about anybody replacing a motor within the mirror housing. I spoke to the parts department a local dealership for a replacement and they stated to me that I would have to purchase the whole assembly and then I would have to get it painted to match the color of my 05 STS. Has anyone replaced the motor within the mirror housing or am I going to the local junkyard to put in my order? Any suggestions or recommendations would greatly be appreciated especially when come to save money? Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Passenger Side View Mirror (Motor) Replacement

A good recycler may have or be able to get your mirror in your color. The only way you'll get only the motor is a pull-your-own-parts yard.

Good luck!

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Any mirror with the correct options (heated, memory, etc) will work. It is relatively easy to change over the painted housing from one mirror assembly to another.

I gladly defer.

Thanks you.

Here is a thread I posted a while back that might be of some help to you...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eassembly.html

One other point, some members (if I recall correctly) have mentioned something like this as well. Some have reported success in readjusting all the mirrors, seats, etc and then re-saving the configuration through the options menus (procedure to save preferences varies depending on whether you have a navigation radio or not).

So do think I could clean the motor and apply new grease to the post to eliminate the noise or should I just find a used one and replace it? I would think that I could find an exact part replacement though GM / AC Delco but it seems that nothing is ever easy with Cadillac. I do appreciate the forum info. and I might try cleaning the motor up this week. I will keep the forum posted....

I don't think that being dirty or needing grease is the problem. I suspect that when you adjust the mirror using your control that it will move just fine. The clicking occurs when either you, or the car, tries to adjust the mirror beyond its physical limit and this noise is normal at that point. The problem you describe is more typical when the position sensor in the mirror adjuster is bad or the desired position information is corrupt in the module that stores this setting. Did you try adjusting the mirrors and re-saving the settings? I have seen occasions where the ball that snaps into the back of the mirror mount for a position sensor has popped out or snapped off. There is also an outside chance that you could have some corrosion on the connector that plugs into the passenger door module preventing the module from receiving position information (I had this happen on my left side mirror). Since the connectors and door modules are kept in a dry location, this isn't as likely. In short, you can try to clean it up but I don't think that will fix your problem without basically overhauling the adjuster assembly. If you do try cleaning it up, it's important to use the correct grease. GM uses a very light weight grease for this application.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT
    I had the same problem on my 03 STS. Dealer service said it needed new actuator but its no longer available. Then Chris from Rippy told me that the actuator was never sold separately. So I bought the whole assembly from eBay for $90.

I also remember the post that DD recall's in post in #6, above. Just by resetting some adjustments and re-saving (as in the manual) the mirror no longer hit it's limit of movement it a particular spot.

If you haven't played a bit with this, I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.