lowering my 2005 cadillac sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, lowering my 2005 cadillac sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ok i have a 2005 cadillac sts with FE1 rear suspension, i bought B&G lowering springs and the front sits ...
    officialmigsz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

lowering my 2005 cadillac sts

ok i have a 2005 cadillac sts with FE1 rear suspension, i bought B&G lowering springs and the front sits nice and so does the rear but my problem is that when the car is still or sitting awhile it sits even but when im driving the car and i stop wherever i am going the rear for some reason raises up like if it has air suspension and it looks factory height in the rear. but if i have FE1 rear shocks shouldnt it not be raising up the car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    They all have ELC (except maybe the V?). FE1/FE2/FE3..... can be thought of as soft ride/sport ride, sportier as the number increases. Different spring rates, shocks/struts, sway bars...

You'll have to shorten the connecting rods on the ride height sensors to "fool" the ELC system.

BTW,

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    They all have ELC. FE1/FE3 can be thought of as soft ride/sport ride. Different spring rates, shocks/struts, sway bars...

You'll have to shorten the connecting rods on the ride height sensors to "fool" the ELC system.

BTW,
    where are the right height sensors located? and where and what are the connecting rods? i also tried looking for ELC fuses and my car doesnt have any at all.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The sensors are in the wheel wells, the connecting rods connect them to the control arms. Not positive on the '05+ cars, but you may only have one with your passive suspension.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Wrong.

Only F55 have air ride.

Others have nivomat shocks which pump up and level out while driving.

Spacers are needed to fix this D3 sold them.

ITSQUIK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS
    I had the same problem & D3 won't sell you the shock hats by themselves if you didn't buy the springs from them. I took my rear shocks back out & removed the hats on them. There is approximately a 1.5 inch thick rubber spacer on top of the shock. I sliced it down to about a 1/4 inch thick & reinstalled. Problem solved.

This is just how I did it, I'm not saying that its the best or the right way but it worked & I don't have any issues.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ITSQUIK
    I had the same problem & D3 won't sell you the shock hats by themselves if you didn't buy the springs from them. I took my rear shocks back out & removed the hats on them. There is approximately a 1.5 inch thick rubber spacer on top of the shock. I sliced it down to about a 1/4 inch thick & reinstalled. Problem solved.

This is just how I did it, I'm not saying that its the best or the right way but it worked & I don't have any issues.
    P.S. From what I was able to find online for images of the D3 part. It looks like that is what they did. Removed the rubber spacer & replaced it with a shortened one.

----------

P.S. From what I was able to find online for images of the D3 part. It looks like that is what they did. Removed the rubber spacer & replaced it with a shortened one.
    how easy is it to remove the shock? cause when its sitting and the car hasnt moved the rear wheel well is even with the top of the tire no gap or finger space and i have stock 17" rims with 235/50/17 tires and once the car is in motion and i stop somewhere the rear lifts up and from having no gap or finger space it ends up having a 2 finger gap. the front is fine its just the rear.

It's not too bad to pull the shocks. You have to get the car off the ground & let the rear suspension hang. There are 2 nuts inside the trunk on top of each shock & there is 1 bolt on the bottom that attaches the shock to the control arm.

It's not too bad to pull the shocks. You have to get the car off the ground & let the rear suspension hang. There are 2 nuts inside the trunk on top of each shock & there is 1 bolt on the bottom that attaches the shock to the control arm.
    do i have to disassemble the whole back arms to get the shock out? and do i have to worry about it having pressure or shooting out? and about how long does it take to take off?

No you don't have to disassemble the whole thing & it does not have pressure like the coil spring. It shouldn't take more than an hour per side total.

No you don't have to disassemble the whole thing & it does not have pressure like the coil spring. It shouldn't take more than an hour per side total.
    cool thanks man how exactly did you trim it down what did you use?

I actually had a band saw in the shop, but if u put it in a vice you can do it with a hacksaw. Just take your time so u get it nice & straight.

Here's a pic of mine.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I actually had a band saw in the shop, but if u put it in a vice you can do it with a hacksaw. Just take your time so u get it nice & straight.

Here's a pic of mine.
    [/IMG]
    looks good what are those 20s? and is your exhuast coming out the middle?

Re: lowering my 2005 cadillac sts

this is how mine looked when i had it on 22s with no drop at all just stock height.
    IMG_103612.jpg

Re: lowering my 2005 cadillac sts

and this is how it looks for now on stocks with the drop springs on.
    IMG_07551.jpg
    IMG_07561.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.