Bought a 2007 sts REPO without a key - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Bought a 2007 sts REPO without a key in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone have access to the part # of the original fob for the 2007 cadillac sts. The one for ...
    Just in time is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 sts

Re: Bought a 2007 sts REPO without a key

Does anyone have access to the part # of the original fob for the 2007 cadillac sts. The one for the car with only push button start. I'm done trying to get the new ones to work

----------

Does anyone have access to the part number for the 2007 STS key fobs for remote and push button start I'm done trying to get the new style to work

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I gave them to you, above. Those are the fobs that came with my wife's 2007, built in 2006.

2007's built later and all following years have different door keys and the fobs with the key inside.

----------

The last 6-digits of her VIN are 149707.

Just in time is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 sts

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I gave them to you, above. Those are the fobs that came with my wife's 2007, built in 2006.

2007's built later and all following years have different door keys and the fobs with the key inside.

----------

The last 6-digits of her VIN are 149707.
    thats the problem, the sticker on the drivers door has been removed. i can read a little but not the date of manufacture. when i do the carfax it says

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
    Original Equipment OnStar Vehicle equipped with OnStar &
    Personal Calling
    Press the Blue OnStar button in this vehicle, or click here for activation and membership information
    05/17/2007 10 Potamkin Cadillac Buick Chevrolet
    New York, NY
    212-708-3108
    potamkincadillac.com Vehicle sold

so i dont know if i should have the new style fob or the egg shaped one?

my last 6 of vin are 169966

Either style STS fob will work fine with all 2005-2012 STS. The new-style are more desireable and run about $50 on eBay. The old-style ones don't seem to go through batteries as fast. I gave you the part numbers for both the #1 & #2 old-style fob.

I'd think you'd be anxious to drive your car.

Good luck!

----------

Looks like prices have gone up. The picture on eBay shows the blank is slightly different than the 2005-early 2007 fob.

Asking $95.86!

DBB
    DBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6

I just bought a 2005 V6 STS and it only came with the #2 fob & separate Key. I've asked the dealer to check with the previous owner to see if they can retrieve the other fob. In the event that they can't what's the most efficient and cost effective way to get replacement fob and key? I've seen new fobs go for $70-$85 on Ebay and transponders keys for as low as $10. What method do you all suggest?

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

buy the fob on ebay and program it to your car. It'll be easy because you already have a working fob programmed to your car. The method for doing this is in the owner's manual I believe under the section about key fobs. Get an other key and take it to the locksmith along with your current key that works so they can copy it. When I got my car I only had a number 2 as well. When I was talking to the dealer I asked about the 2nd fob and they said they'd order one and send it to me. They did. We're talking the newer fob though, but same deal.

DBB

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    buy the fob on ebay and program it to your car. It'll be easy because you already have a working fob programmed to your car. The method for doing this is in the owner's manual I believe under the section about key fobs. Get an other key and take it to the locksmith along with your current key that works so they can copy it. When I got my car I only had a number 2 as well. When I was talking to the dealer I asked about the 2nd fob and they said they'd order one and send it to me. They did. We're talking the newer fob though, but same deal.
    Thanks Guy! Does the new fob has the folded key? How much does the dealer charge for the new fob?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    New style fob key will not work on 05-07 models. Have to fab up a key for them.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville

Don't know what the dealer charges but google search under shopping 2008 cadillac sts key fob and you'll see a lot of results. Yes the 08+ comes with the key folded in, but according to 1 bad cad sts that's unfortunately not an option for you. They have the older ones on there too. Although echas3 says you can use the new one. Sorry I can't help you on that one, but they're both very accessible online. Oh and I'm sorry I forgot to mention when I asked for the other fob from the dealer and they ordered it, I didn't mean I paid for it. I had them include it in the purchase so I don't actually know the cost from the dealer. I'm sure you could call your local dealer and easily get a price though. Just not on Sundays. Hope this helps.

DBB
    Thanks everyone I purchased a number 1 Key fob and spare ignition keys off of eBay.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

Since you bought the car from a dealer, and they are accepting it as their problem, have them match the fobs to you car. When you get it back, make sure to set preferences for driver 1 and 2 to be able to remote start the car and test that both fob's will do it. That way you know they have them matched right. (Up to 4 fob's car be matched but only those matched as #1 & 2 have full functionality.)

If you're doing it yourself, check out the link in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum. The manual doesn't do a great job explaining how to reprogram fob's from scratch to get new fob's matched as the right #'s.

Pastor Lou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS4

Hi Laura,
    I seem to be having problems with this site in responding back to you. The dealership is Matthew's Cadillac in Vestal, NY
    Thanks for your quick response.
    Lou
    PS If possible please use my email account? pressman@epix.net

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Lou View Post
    Hi Laura,
    I seem to be having problems with this site in responding back to you. The dealership is Matthew's Cadillac in Vestal, NY
    Thanks for your quick response.
    Lou
    PS If possible please use my email account? pressman@epix.net
    Hello Lou,

I wanted to let you know I received this message and we will continue to interact via Email.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

DBB
    I received my new fob #1 and blank keys. The new fob was programmed as #3. How do I get it programmed as #1? Do I really need to visit the dealer to have fob #1 (which original owner has) removed from my vehicle? Also I've seen posts mentioning that I need to take my blanks to a locksmith to get copied. Can I go to Home Depot to get a key made?

Easy. Use the same matching procedure (in the manual), but keep all fobs known to this car out of range (at least 30' away behind a door) until the car requests fob #1. Then go get it & put it the armrest console fob pocket, etc.

If you need the details of the fob matching procedure, there are many write-ups on the forum. I believe several of them are linked in the 'Sticky' thread at the top of the forum.

----------

Anybody can make a copy of the metal key. You may have to do some light metal-work to fit an early-STS key to a new-style fob. True Value Hardware had everything I needed.

Some vendors will claim the STS requires a 'smart key' or 'key resister'. This is not so. A $2 copy will open the door lock just fine. That's all the STS needs to initiate the programming sequence (albeit four times!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.