Soft Trunk Release Button Not Working / 2006 Cadillac STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Soft Trunk Release Button Not Working / 2006 Cadillac STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everyone, Hope you're all having a great weekend thus far. I recently got rear-ended by someone and had to ...
    Nightshadow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White STS 3.6L V6 & 1995 V8 Red Eldorado ETC

Soft Trunk Release Button Not Working / 2006 Cadillac STS

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all having a great weekend thus far.

I recently got rear-ended by someone and had to get my bumper replaced at an auto body shop. Everything was done beautifully and looks great, only problem is, on a whim I started checking electrical stuff, since I know it is commonplace for them to have to disconnect stuff to maneuver around. Anyway, you know how as long as you have the FOB in your pocket, it will allow you to press that soft button above the license plate to open the trunk? Well that's always worked like a charm and even after the accident it worked fine, however now that I picked up the car from the shop, it will not work.

It works fine if I actually press the trunk release on the FOB, so i know the latch isn't having issues.

Any idea what might have gotten unplugged / reset? Is it something I could quickly fix or is it going to require taking off parts to reconnect? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: Soft Trunk Release Button Not Working / 2006 Cadillac STS

I would recommend that you remove the liner on the inside of the trunk lid and make sure everything is connected. It is possible this is coincidental but worth checking. These soft, rubber encased switches have been known to periodically fail. Was there any damage to the trunk lid that may have necessitated its removal?

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

there is antennas behind the rear bumper one could be wrecked! get her back into the shop... your not the sts on the allstate commercial or what ever it was are you lol

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

It's just as likely that the receiver was damaged due to the collision.

A dealer once had to replace mine. The service writer claimed it was above the top trunk liner. Members have posted that it's behind the bumper. I don't know for sure. When I picked up my car after that repair, I thougt I saw a diagram on how to remove the rear bumper.

Anyone know for sure?

The receiver is under the rear shelf, the antenna is mounted to a bracket attached to the rear bumper cover. I'd agree it is more likely the antenna/connection than the switch. The switch is easier to check, but a good idea to take it back to the shop that did the work.

Nightshadow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White STS 3.6L V6 & 1995 V8 Red Eldorado ETC

Thanks for the help guys. I will talk to the shop tomorrow and see if they still have the bumper that was removed laying around, it probably still has that bracket attached to it then and they simply forgot to attach it to the new one. Hopefully its a quick fix and wont require the car being left there for a few hours all over again.

They would not have been able to attach the new one without the bracket the antenna attaches to. If it was new, they may have forgot to transfer the antenna. If they were able to re-use it, they likely forgot to plug it in. Either way, the bumper cover pretty much has to come off to access the area necessary. It's not too involved, but it will be an hour for sure if everything goes well.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshadow View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I will talk to the shop tomorrow and see if they still have the bumper that was removed laying around, it probably still has that bracket attached to it then and they simply forgot to attach it to the new one. Hopefully its a quick fix and wont require the car being left there for a few hours all over again.
    Hi Nightshadow,

I am sorry you had to deal with someone rear ending your vehicle. I understand how it can be frustrating having to wait hours for a vehicle fix. I hope this one is an easy and quick fix and your trunk release button is working again in no time

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.