Removing dash
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Removing dash in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looking to install GPS antenna on my 06 STS..what's the best way to remove the dash? And how do you ...
    J.Chorba23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

Removing dash

Looking to install GPS antenna on my 06 STS..what's the best way to remove the dash? And how do you do it

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Re: Removing dash

You mean the defrost nozzle or the whole carrier assembly?

J.Chorba23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS
    What's the best way to install the GPS antenna? I was hoping I didn't have to take off the dash

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

I removed the top peice, and then used a coat hanger to fish through the cord for the GPS antena. I believe if you have GPS stock there is a metal plate that the antenna sticks to via it's magnetic base. I used aluminum tape folded over to make a double sided tape to hole the antenna in place.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

There is no magnetic base on factory installed GPS antennas. The metal plate the antenna is attached to is held in place by push-in plastic retainers. If you want to place this in the factory location, you will have to remove the dash carrier but not the aluminum sub-frame. In order to remove the carrier, unless you are prepared to cut or break pieces out the way one of my local amateur Cadillac dealers did, you need to remove the steering column and possibly the shifter (you may be able to get the carrier past this if the column is out of the way). Just to be perfectly up front, to do this the "OEM" way is A LOT of work. I've had my dash out twice now and this isn't something most people generally want to tackle.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    d, do you have any pics we can see from when your dash was out?

I'm not planning to take mine apart, just curious about what it looks like in there.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post
    There is no magnetic base on factory installed GPS antennas. The metal plate the antenna is attached to is held in place by push-in plastic retainers. If you want to place this in the factory location, you will have to remove the dash carrier but not the aluminum sub-frame. In order to remove the carrier, unless you are prepared to cut or break pieces out the way one of my local amateur Cadillac dealers did, you need to remove the steering column and possibly the shifter (you may be able to get the carrier past this if the column is out of the way). Just to be perfectly up front, to do this the "OEM" way is A LOT of work. I've had my dash out twice now and this isn't something most people generally want to tackle.
    I guess I should have specified that what I did was for installing the nav unit in a non nav car. It is definitely not stock. There was plenty of room under the top dash piece to locate the gps antenna and have the dash piece clip back in without interference.

ddalder is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57

I guess I should have specified that what I did was for installing the nav unit in a non nav car. It is definitely not stock. There was plenty of room under the top dash piece to locate the gps antenna and have the dash piece clip back in without interference.
    I understand what you're doing, but the antenna cable is pretty short so you'll need to be aware of location or it may not reach. Even in the factory position, there isn't much play.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts
    d, do you have any pics we can see from when your dash was out?

I'm not planning to take mine apart, just curious about what it looks like in there.
    I'll post some in the next couple of days. You may be able to see one in my thread for installation of my rear fog lights as well.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    I can search for that if you don't want to post them again. I forgot, I think I saw that before. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder View Post

I understand what you're doing, but the antenna cable is pretty short so you'll need to be aware of location or it may not reach. Even in the factory position, there isn't much play.
    I used one of the ebay antennas. The cord was like 10ft long, so I could have put the antenna pretty much anywhere. So there is a neat bundled an ziptied excess in the dash of my car I still need to hook up the vss, but I don't really use nav too much so the whole always facing east doesn't bother me much.

DiceNutz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post

I used one of the ebay antennas. The cord was like 10ft long, so I could have put the antenna pretty much anywhere. So there is a neat bundled an ziptied excess in the dash of my car I still need to hook up the vss, but I don't really use nav too much so the whole always facing east doesn't bother me much.
    Can you please let me know what non oem GPS antenna you purchased that worked, because I just purchased one off eBay and its not working, thanks in advance!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.