People with the 2005+ Northstars: Do you have problems with oil leaks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, People with the 2005+ Northstars: Do you have problems with oil leaks? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems with the Northstar engines leaking oil at the half case seal? Reason ...
    bob k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Seville SLS

People with the 2005+ Northstars: Do you have problems with oil leaks?

I'm wondering if anybody has had any problems with the Northstar engines leaking oil at the half case seal? Reason im asking is because we are in the market for a new Caddy, and trying to decide if we should try a newer Northstar or go with the 3.6 (and possibly deal with the timing chain stretch). We had a 97 SLS with 205K, but its really starting to show its age, and it leaks oil like crazy. You can see smoke come out from under the hood when you park the car, the half case seal is shot. Boss also has a 1999 STS, and it leaks oil at the half case seal as well. We really love these cars except for that issue, and would love to know if GM has finally fixed this problem on the newer Northstars, so im looking forward for some of you to chime in! Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: People with the 2005+ Northstars: Do you have problems with oil leaks?

My '06 Northstar with 55K miles doesn't leak a drop.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I think you mean to ask about the 3.6 they drink oil not the LH2 N*

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

The half case seal leak does still happen on the redesigned N*....But it isn't nearly as common as it was in the FWD variation, I've only seen a few threads regarding that in here.

As far as the 3.6 (both non-DI and DI variations) they not only like to stretch timing chains but they are much more notorious for drinking oil than the LH2 N* is...GM utilized a very poorly designed PCV system in those engines.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My wife & I have had our V8's for 4.5 & 5 years and our garage floor has been dry the whole time except for one leaky water pump on my car years ago (and a few Winter car turds). We have driven over 100,000 miles and think very highly of the N*.

Her car was a Hertz rental and does burn a little oil; less than a quart in 10,000 miles. She goes strickly by the OLM, ignoring the annual oil change advice in the manual. She gets it changed with new Mobil1 when alerted (about every 18 months & 10k). I check it when she gets back from road trips and add a sip when it's low. (It's her car. Why fight forces of nature?)

My car was broken in by some wonderful person in northern Wisconsin who had the dealer change the oil 4 times at 3,000 mile intervals to break-in my N* for me. I have the service record. It now uses virtually no oil and I don't spare the throttle. See the 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum. It's true, this N* thrives on WOT & compression braking.

It's fun, too!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    As far as the 3.6 (both non-DI and DI variations) they not only like to stretch timing chains but they are much more notorious for drinking oil than the LH2 N* is...GM utilized a very poorly designed PCV system in those engines.
    Members also report cam & ring issues. They aren't as frequent, but there's nothing like catestrophic oil loss to ruin a trip. This forum contains multiple such reports.

If you like the V6, that's fine, but do yourself well and check the oil often.

bob k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Seville SLS

Thanks for your input. Its a bit frustrating because between the two engines you are deciding what kind of problems you are willing to tolerate. I didn't learn about the 3.6 oil consumption til now, and now im really averse to getting a GM car with the 3.6. Its frustrating because we really love the look of the Cadillac and there is nothing else on the market like it, but after our experience with the Northstar we are hesitant in having to deal with the half case seal again. Not an easy choice...

LH2 is a rock even if the half case leaks is a small seeping nothing to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by bob k View Post
    Thanks for your input. Its a bit frustrating because between the two engines you are deciding what kind of problems you are willing to tolerate. I didn't learn about the 3.6 oil consumption til now, and now im really averse to getting a GM car with the 3.6. Its frustrating because we really love the look of the Cadillac and there is nothing else on the market like it, but after our experience with the Northstar we are hesitant in having to deal with the half case seal again. Not an easy choice...
    I'd tolerate a weaping half case seal over worrying my timing chain might snap at 70MPH anyday....Let's see, buy some Mobil1 once in a while or buy a new engines if the valves bend and cylinder walls score...hard decision...
    Past Cadillac's

Bob K can't shake the mis-information that the 2005 & up 4.6 Northstar uses excessive oil. IMHO, there is no real pattern of this, even when abused. Some examples will burn a bit but very few leak. Most engines burn a little, especiall when producing like power & torque.

It's only real shortcoming is that it only gets average mileage. (It was expensive to build, but that's moot now!)

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    It's only real shortcoming is that it only gets average mileage.
    I average 20-22MPG per tank...I'll take that in a full size, 320HP V8 powered luxury car any day...
    Past Cadillac's

He's awd as am I. 13.5 mpg average.

^^^ I do not disagree. My wife & I took her car on a trip to visit Mom today and got 24.5 mpg. Once before trashing the rock-like Michelin Energy tires that hers came with, we ran a full tank at around 80 MPH (2,000 RPM) and got 25 mpg calculated.

As Curt observes, I'll take that. It's not bad considering the STS is a 2-ton Luxury Sport Touring Sedan with over 300 HP & 300 Ft/lbs Torque. But some competitors are a bit more stingy on gas. I know of a car costing about $80k that makes almost 400 HP & gets 30 mpg. I do not want to trade; even at $4, just $1,000 still buys 250 gallons of gas. "Not bad" is not a slam; it's merely OK.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    ^^^ I do not disagree. My wife & I took her car on a trip to visit Mom today and got 24.5 mpg. Once before trashing the rock-like Michelin Energy tires that hers came with, we ran a full tank at around 80 MPH (2,000 RPM) and got 25 mpg calculated.

As Curt observes, I'll take that. It's not bad considering the STS is a 2-ton Luxury Sport Touring Sedan with over 300 HP & 300 Ft/lbs Torque. But some competitors are a bit more stingy on gas. I know of a car costing about $80k that makes almost 400 HP & gets 30 mpg. I do not want to trade; even at $4, just $1,000 still buys 250 gallons of gas. "Not bad" is not a slam; it's merely OK.
    Your wife's is rwd and yours is awd correct?

The 273 rear in the base rwd v8 will net good mpg while the awd with its greater mass and 323 gearing will eat fuel like a fat kid eats cupcakes.

I don't mind it. The toys and power are worth the trade off to me. I've never had an Eco car, ever. Always a GM V8. Not to mention with PA winters and my other car an SLP SS Camaro I wanted something which would prove to be a tank in snow. My STS4 has passed many a SUV and truck stuck in snow.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My '06 AWD V8 STS gets 22-24 MPG when the weather warms up. If you spin the wheels to get going and slide them to stop the mileage drops accordingly.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD, 97 STS

Well, I have 190K miles on my '06 and it does leak oil a bit -- apparently from the cam covers because it is running down the side of the block onto the PS pump. I also see this starting on my 110K mile SRX, and even a bit on my 80K mile SRX. So yes, they will eventually leak enough oil to drip on your driveway, but not for a long time. Unlike my 140K mile '97 STS that burned/leaked about ten times as much

As for mileage, I have never seen 24 MPG on my 323 geared RWD STS, and right now it is averaging about 13 MPG with city driving. So safe to say mine eats fuel. Still, as others have pointed out, no one buys these to be miserly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.