Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurring"
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurring" in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; With 130k, I have a weird nose like a light "knock" or as I call it, slurring when driving 20-30mph ...
    stevenriz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8 1SG

Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurring"

With 130k, I have a weird nose like a light "knock" or as I call it, slurring when driving 20-30mph with light pedal. Just like when coasting. Weird. When I let off or step on it to downshift, the knock goes away... Bad gas? I use regular... Timing problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

josephdav01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenriz View Post
    With 130k, I have a weird nose like a light "knock" or as I call it, slurring when driving 20-30mph with light pedal. Just like when coasting. Weird. When I let off or step on it to downshift, the knock goes away... Bad gas? I use regular... Timing problem?
    I had knocking at 80k and I was using regular. I know u can use regular but my caddy didn't like it. I switched to premium and now I have 101,000 miles on my car and haven't heard the knocking since.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurr

Steve - If you aren't using Top Tier gas, that would be the first change I'd recommend. If that's not convenient, consider adding some Techron and/or Throttle-body cleaning. If it persists, Try mid-grade or premium.

You could just go to premium and then work backwards, but under those conditions, I doubt you'd really be doing any harm. (I have heard that noise on those rare occasions when I burn crappy E10+.)

Re: Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurr

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. I'll try premium and see what happens. What will it cost me, an extra $2/tankfull? I'm also thinking about the about the plugs that are still original. Could old plugs cause this do you think? Should I replace them? Next tankful will be premium. I normally use Mobil.

Exxon Mobil is Top Tier. Unless your car has close to 100,000 miles, I wouldn't recommend plugs. If you do change them, use OEM. N* is fussy about plugs.

Living in MA, you might be in an area with a crappy gas formulation. Is it all E10?

----------

http://pure-gas.org/

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    IF this is knock/detonation...

If the engine has just started doing this, then the problem is not 87 octane, and masking the problem with higher octane won't fix the problem.

Have you pulled codes?

When was the last time the engine saw some WOT?

What happens when the engine is under load? Knock usually doesn't occur under light throttle.

Lost my post... Retyping...

I exclusively use Mobil. Not always high test, mostly regular. WOT? Wide Open Throttle? every once in a while I do it but not often.

This knocking does NOT occur under load. Only when coasting under light load at about 20-30mph. I am noticing now that there is a quick knock between shifts.

I will bring it in and see what the dealer tells me :|

I will report back what the resolution is!!

To answer another question, it is all E10 here in the Northeast I believe. I am only looking at the plugs for misfiring due to age. They may not work that way. Not sure.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Well your plugs should have been changed at 100k using only OEM plugs as the N* is very picky about its plugs.

I wonder if this occasional noise is related to the VVT? I sure hope it's not piston slap.

What is VVT? variable valve timing?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenriz
    What is VVT? variable valve timing?
    Yes.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Akatate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V6

OP, I am having a similiar problem just recently with my '06 STS V6. I have just hit 80,000 miles. At cold start, primarily, low RPMs or cruising at higher speeds but only (like you said) when I lightly press the gas, I hear a knocking/slurring sound and a choking acceleration. Almost like having bad gas.

When I floor it, no problems what so ever. But especially when I am leaving my neighborhood in the morning, anytime I slow down and start to accelerate, it knocks and gets choked up a little.

I was thinking either fuel filter, injector or spark plugs. I changed the Air filter and am changing the fuel filter in the morning, but after reading this forum, I have little hope of this resolving the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Ive only had the car since September, 2012, and I would hate for this to turn into a major problem bc this car is a dream.

Akatate,

Your experience is very different than mine. I've never heard what I've described when the car is cold or within 15 minutes of cold. When I have heard it, it's on the way back to work after lunch. The engine is essentially warm, but maybe not quite hot.

I've never noticed any affect on performance, hence no concerns on my part.

Make sure the oil level isn't low, it affects the VVT. Have you had your car on a code reader? The V6's often log valve timing sensor codes.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Also keep in mind the V6 lacks a low oil level sensor so actually open the hood and check it, so don't rely on an idiot light that doesn't exist.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.