Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurring"

6K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  fredolan 
#1 ·
Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurring"

With 130k, I have a weird nose like a light "knock" or as I call it, slurring when driving 20-30mph with light pedal. Just like when coasting. Weird. When I let off or step on it to downshift, the knock goes away... Bad gas? I use regular... Timing problem?

#2 ·
With 130k, I have a weird nose like a light "knock" or as I call it, slurring when driving 20-30mph with light pedal. Just like when coasting. Weird. When I let off or step on it to downshift, the knock goes away... Bad gas? I use regular... Timing problem?
I had knocking at 80k and I was using regular. I know u can use regular but my caddy didn't like it. I switched to premium and now I have 101,000 miles on my car and haven't heard the knocking since.

#3 ·
Re: Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurr

Steve - If you aren't using Top Tier gas, that would be the first change I'd recommend. If that's not convenient, consider adding some Techron and/or Throttle-body cleaning. If it persists, Try mid-grade or premium.

You could just go to premium and then work backwards, but under those conditions, I doubt you'd really be doing any harm. (I have heard that noise on those rare occasions when I burn crappy E10+.)

#4 ·
Re: Weird knocking when coasting 20-30mph with light pedal; almost like car is "slurr

Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. I'll try premium and see what happens. What will it cost me, an extra $2/tankfull? I'm also thinking about the about the plugs that are still original. Could old plugs cause this do you think? Should I replace them? Next tankful will be premium. I normally use Mobil.

#5 ·

Exxon Mobil is Top Tier. Unless your car has close to 100,000 miles, I wouldn't recommend plugs. If you do change them, use OEM. N* is fussy about plugs.

Living in MA, you might be in an area with a crappy gas formulation. Is it all E10?

----------

http://pure-gas.org/

#6 ·
IF this is knock/detonation...

If the engine has just started doing this, then the problem is not 87 octane, and masking the problem with higher octane won't fix the problem.

Have you pulled codes?

When was the last time the engine saw some WOT?

What happens when the engine is under load? Knock usually doesn't occur under light throttle.

#7 ·

Lost my post... Retyping...

I exclusively use Mobil. Not always high test, mostly regular. WOT? Wide Open Throttle? every once in a while I do it but not often.

This knocking does NOT occur under load. Only when coasting under light load at about 20-30mph. I am noticing now that there is a quick knock between shifts.

I will bring it in and see what the dealer tells me :|

I will report back what the resolution is!!

#8 ·

To answer another question, it is all E10 here in the Northeast I believe. I am only looking at the plugs for misfiring due to age. They may not work that way. Not sure.

#13 ·

OP, I am having a similiar problem just recently with my '06 STS V6. I have just hit 80,000 miles. At cold start, primarily, low RPMs or cruising at higher speeds but only (like you said) when I lightly press the gas, I hear a knocking/slurring sound and a choking acceleration. Almost like having bad gas.

When I floor it, no problems what so ever. But especially when I am leaving my neighborhood in the morning, anytime I slow down and start to accelerate, it knocks and gets choked up a little.

I was thinking either fuel filter, injector or spark plugs. I changed the Air filter and am changing the fuel filter in the morning, but after reading this forum, I have little hope of this resolving the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Ive only had the car since September, 2012, and I would hate for this to turn into a major problem bc this car is a dream.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)

Akatate,

Your experience is very different than mine. I've never heard what I've described when the car is cold or within 15 minutes of cold. When I have heard it, it's on the way back to work after lunch. The engine is essentially warm, but maybe not quite hot.

I've never noticed any affect on performance, hence no concerns on my part.

Make sure the oil level isn't low, it affects the VVT. Have you had your car on a code reader? The V6's often log valve timing sensor codes.

#18 ·

Ok, thx. I'll check it. My oil life % says 50 but I realize this doesn't indicate lvl.
Which is why you should manually check it regularly as there isn't a level indication inside the car, and only a low oil message for 2qts low in the V8.

REGARDLESS of weather or not the car has an oil level sensor, you still need to check the oil manually. The message isn't triggered until the oil level is 2 quarts low.
I agree completely, I do check mine on a regular basis as with the 02 DTS Deville I was using about a quart every 1200 - 1500 miles (125k on the car at the time).
On the 08 STS V8 I haven't seen it budge.

#20 ·

The dealer checked it out and saw nothing. No codes and couldn't replicate the issue. I had since started using middle grade fuel. I also had the high pressure power steering hose replaced since I was going through a quart a month. Was that something I could have done myself? also had the cooling system flushed and new thermostat put in at the same time. So I guess I keep the thing for a little longer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.