Can I put a 2006 STS 4.6l N* in my 2005 STS w/o any issues with ecm or install?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Can I put a 2006 STS 4.6l N* in my 2005 STS w/o any issues with ecm or install? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ive been told there are no issues on using the two different ears and engines...but of course this is coming ...
    Katmann is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Can I put a 2006 STS 4.6l N* in my 2005 STS w/o any issues with ecm or install?

Ive been told there are no issues on using the two different ears and engines...but of course this is coming from the person selling the 2006 N* engine. Ineed to know asap

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Same motor.

Will work just fine.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

Re: Can I put a 2006 STS 4.6l N* in my 2005 STS w/o any issues with ecm or install?

nosey me, what happened to the original??

Re: Can I put a 2006 STS 4.6l N* in my 2005 STS w/o any issues with ecm or install?

Well i still have it, unfortunately I allowed it to go into camel mode several times, in other words it has got very very hot and Im getting 20 plus codes coming up when scanned. most of which are sensors . Which I had planned to slowly replace as I could afford, until recently I have come across a 2006 N* with 58000 miles on it and the only need it has is to have the oil pan resealed in order to stop a slow leak. The price I am able to get the complete engine with half the miles of my engine is less than the cost of the maf, coolant temp sensor, and knock sensor. So I feel it is better to replace the old with the newer. and then sell the 2005 to offset my repair cost. The 2005 is still sound with no coolant in oil and still runs even with all the codes .

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Make sure the 2006's leak is really the oil pan and not a leak from the mating of engine halves. Not a lot of members have reported it, but it is one of the few issues that still get reported with noticable frequency.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Katmann
    Well i still have it, unfortunately I allowed it to go into camel mode several times, in other words it has got very very hot and Im getting 20 plus codes coming up when scanned. most of which are sensors . Which I had planned to slowly replace as I could afford, until recently I have come across a 2006 N* with 58000 miles on it and the only need it has is to have the oil pan resealed in order to stop a slow leak. The price I am able to get the complete engine with half the miles of my engine is less than the cost of the maf, coolant temp sensor, and knock sensor. So I feel it is better to replace the old with the newer. and then sell the 2005 to offset my repair cost. The 2005 is still sound with no coolant in oil and still runs even with all the codes .
    How did you let it overheat several times?

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    How did you let it overheat several times?
    that's my question too...

Unfortunately where the overflow hose attaches to the radiator had been broken by the previous owner and quik fixed by using jb weld to adhere the nipple that the hose attaches to. After sometime I guess the heat broke the jb weld down and the entire piece fell off during driving so I had nothing to attach my overflow hose to. My neighbor came up with a solution, or so it seemed involving some two way vacuum connectors and some rtv gasket covered by some waterproof epoxy. This did not work for long and as I was driving I lost all my coolant and another two gallons of coolant driving ten miles to get to work. I stopped and thought I had repaired it enuf to get to work, but apparently not. On the way home is when it cameled out and now makes clanging noise when started.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.