Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Possible group buy on D3 lowering springs????

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  williestacks 
#1 ·
I would really like to lower my STS. I have talked to D3 off and on over the past month or so and they are uncertain about if/when they will do another run on springs. BUT, I talked with them today and they said they would do a production run if we could round up 30 or so people to jump on a group buy. So does anyone else want to lower your STS?

#2 ·
I certainly do. I'm at my wits end. I'm ready to start chopping coils out of the factory springs. id prefer coilovers but that seems out of the question & bolt in air struts would be even better but again no one makes a kit. I've spoke with a Swedish company called Intrax that will fab shock absorbers. they're like coil overs only you can adjust the shock to lower the car manually & it runs 3,500USD. personally I'd rather have form over function. I have low rider blood in my veins & this is my first sedan I'm trying to slam. I was going to do the D3 springs and cut an extra coil and find universal drop shocks. but can't even get D3 springs. so I'm tempted to just cut the factory springs. I want my STS on the ground, period.

#5 ·
I would if my current plan goes not work out. I already ordered CTS v6 eibachs. The suspension design of the CTS (second gen) looks to lifted from the sts. The eibach spring rates are progressive so no way to have a true apples to apples comparison. But they front to rear split is similar to the sts-v. starts out lighter and ends up stiffer due to there progressive nature. I will report back on how it all works on with in a few weeks. (CTS v6 had spring rates more in line with the sts-v vs cts-v eibachs) also the weight differance is not much especially when you factor in that the wagon owners have used the eibachs with out ill results. I'm lucky to have a buddy with a cts-v to do some comparisons.

#6 ·
On the topic of an air bag suspension--I been highly into the idea and been doing research for a few months now. The fact of the matter is, there indeed isn't a bolt on kit for the STS, HOWEVER; I finally came across a company that may have an anwser for us.

I been exchanging emails with Tom Parkinson from airbagit.com--they specificly design each of their kits to match factory top and lower mounts for the struts/shocks/springs. Basically; they should be capable to build any kit for any car.

After taking some pics and measurments of the OEM suspension setup on my 05 STS V6 equipped with only "soft ride"--it should be a pretty straight forward setup to install the air suspension.

Here is some info he sent me in an email--very informative IMO:

" This kit here is a great start for your vehicle. It comes with everything you need to get started. There are many ways that we can put these kits together and if you call me here at the shop I can tailor make this kit to suit your needs and more importantly your budget. I would love to assist you in your build. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Have a great day.

Kit to start Strut / Coil
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/Pages1/FactoryCoil.html

Upgrade options
http://www.airbagit.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=upgrade-

Knowledge base
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/kb_html/index.html

Tom"

I will state, however; it's been a week since I've heard from him--I hope to hear back soon.

Another option, may be using AirLift's universal kits but you will in fact have to make your own top and lower mounts.

#7 ·
I believe D3's price is around $400 for the springs...which is not really that high of a price. Its on the higher side but not insane. I also own a 370Z so im used to expesnive part pricing. However, it doesn't look like I can round up 30 people who want to lower their STS. I really wish there were an option because I absolutely hate how high the rear sits.

#12 ·
While build sheets aren't quite as easy to get as they once were, if you're on good terms with your dealer, they can provide one that includes all the GM-performed maintenance. Compnine used to provide one for signing up.

Your spare tire cover has a label with your VIN and all your RPO codes.

It's good to know your car.

#16 ·
STS Serge 172 said:
On the topic of an air bag suspension--I been highly into the idea and been doing research for a few months now. The fact of the matter is, there indeed isn't a bolt on kit for the STS, HOWEVER; I finally came across a company that may have an anwser for us.

I been exchanging emails with Tom Parkinson from airbagit.com--they specificly design each of their kits to match factory top and lower mounts for the struts/shocks/springs. Basically; they should be capable to build any kit for any car.

After taking some pics and measurments of the OEM suspension setup on my 05 STS V6 equipped with only "soft ride"--it should be a pretty straight forward setup to install the air suspension.

Here is some info he sent me in an email--very informative IMO:

" This kit here is a great start for your vehicle. It comes with everything you need to get started. There are many ways that we can put these kits together and if you call me here at the shop I can tailor make this kit to suit your needs and more importantly your budget. I would love to assist you in your build. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Have a great day.

Kit to start Strut / Coil
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/Pages1/FactoryCoil.html

Upgrade options
http://www.airbagit.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=upgrade-

Knowledge base
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/kb_html/index.html

Tom"

I will state, however; it's been a week since I've heard from him--I hope to hear back soon.

Another option, may be using AirLift's universal kits but you will in fact have to make your own top and lower mounts.

I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS!!!! I have ordered tons of stuff from airbagit in the past with mini trucks I just hope the ride will be sturdy enough because most bagged sedans are coil over air struts and my buddies KSport Evo X rides as good as my stock STS but only because the air struts still have coils!

#18 ·
It's a pioneer kinda thing--he forwared some pics I sent him of my stock suspension and said it shouldn't be a prob for his guys who fabricate. The rears would be a combo of airbag spring and a custom lowering strut/shock--the fronts I would like to go with a triple bellow true airstrut but that shall be determined by the experts.

As of right now--I'm waiting on Mr. Parkinson's guys feedback.

I do like the ride height you achieved there, esp for the price! I think having the option to adjust the height to what ever is desired has become really appealing for me now--at 1st I just wanted it lower but now that I been doing reasearch, I like the idea of airbags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.