08 3.6 engine noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 08 3.6 engine noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm buying an STS. I was looking at this 08 3.6L with under 40k miles. The noise kind of sounded ...
    Graysuns157 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sts

08 3.6 engine noise

I'm buying an STS. I was looking at this 08 3.6L with under 40k miles. The noise kind of sounded like a belt tensioner bearing or maybe the infamous timing chain issue. It was a little confusing because it sounded like it might be coming from the back of the block (about the area in the video). It does not sound like fuel injector tick to me. No codes. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNslTd-K15o

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Re: 08 3.6 engine noise

I recently took mine into the shop for the same issue. It is making an odd noise and it is not the fuel injector. They gave me a service bulletin and said the noise is normal. I plan to take it to another GM dealer and try again. No codes for me either but the noise is ridiculous.

Thanks for the reply oldcaddy. Does your noise sound the same as the one in the video? Do you know what FSB it was the dealer gave you?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    I recently took mine into the shop for the same issue. It is making an odd noise and it is not the fuel injector. They gave me a service bulletin and said the noise is normal. I plan to take it to another GM dealer and try again. No codes for me either but the noise is ridiculous.
    Hi oldcaddybuyer,

I understand the noise from your vehicle can be frustrating. Can you please private message me your contact information, VIN and the dealership name and location you took your vehicle to that gave you the service bulletin.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Do a few searches. The V6 has a little part near the back that gets noisy; not spendy.

Good luck!

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    EVAP purge solenoid is a common failure on the 3.6. When it's bad it creates a loud ticking from the rear passenger side of the engine.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

That's what's tickling my memory. Thanks, Curt.

Thanks guys. It is louder on cold start up. It is louder on the drivers side. The reason I wanted to pinpoint it was just to make sure it is nothing major. It seems to run fine. With the mileage so low there should not be much wrong with it. I just don't want to buy something that needs thousands worth of work right away. Maybe Ill just buy it, but that noise in the video still makes me nervous.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    I wouldn't buy that car...Go look at another one, that doesn't sound normal.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Graysuns157 View Post
    Thanks for the reply oldcaddy. Does your noise sound the same as the one in the video? Do you know what FSB it was the dealer gave you?
    Sorry it took me awhile to respond. Yes, my engine sounds exactly the same. It drives me nuts! No way that noise is normal. The video you posted is the first I've found that sounds the same. I tried several STS on the lot at the dealership and they don't make that cyclical ticking noise. The service department said it was normal and refuse to do anything further and cite:

#07-06-04-025H: Information on Clicking/Ticking Sound/Noise Heard During Cold Start - (Jul 27, 2012)

However, the engine makes that noise when its warm. I can drive two hours, stop, and it sounds the same. TICK TICK TICK

I used the service department at the dealer I normally do business with and they thoroughly pissed me off. Parked it with an identical year and mileage STS and it did not make that noise. The service department said both engines sounded the same. They claim not to hear the ticking I do and said I hear the fuel pump which is supposed to be loud.I will take it to the Buick/GMC dealer next to see what they say.

Both 17 year old Fleetwoods are quieter than my STS. I miss the N* in the 03 Seville. It burned oil but at least it didn't sound like a frickin wind-up toy.

Ill pass on this one. Thanks for all of the advice. I might just get a N*. I had the head bolt problem on my 98, but since that has been fixed I might just avoid the DI and go back to the N*. Good luck oldcaddy. I read that FSB and it seems to fit in some ways but not in others. In the video (the engine is warmed up) it is faster than 1 per second and it just does not sound like the aux fuel pump or injectors to me (but I could be wrong). Hopefully the next dealer takes car of you. You might want to have them look at the FSB and admit that the noise does not really match the description:
    "The 3.6L SIDI engine (VIN V - RPO LLT) uses a direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures. A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm. The rapid ticking noise on cold start up is the fuel pump (located on the rear of the left cylinder head) building up high fuel pressure. When the engine warm-up is completed, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to tick at a lower rate of approximately one tick per second during idle. The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under higher fuel pressures. These sounds are the results of a normal direct injection fuel system operating properly."

I took the STS in today for a second opinion. The service manager heard the ticking noise and agreed with me that it was not normal. Its scheduled to go back Monday for further investigation.

Graysuns - smart choice to pass on that ticker. Get a N*

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hope to hear a good report after your STS goes in on Monday, oldcaddybuyer! Enjoy your weekend and if you should need any assistance in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us on the forum.

Sarah G. (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

Swanka is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

My 05 sounded like that on start up when I purchased it (about a week and a 1/2 ago) and had a slight whine sound when driving in city. Turned out that the power steering pump was failing. The honest dealership agreed and replaced it (no charge) after owning for two days.. (BTW a Chevy dealer, not a Caddy one). Happy to report that the car is quiet as an empty room since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hope to hear a good report after your STS goes in on Monday, oldcaddybuyer! Enjoy your weekend and if you should need any assistance in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us on the forum.

Sarah G. (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care
    I pulled in to the service department and went in to meet with the service manager. He and a technician walked out to the car with me. Started the engine, popped the hood, and technician says "that's normal" to which I had no response. He said the high pressure fuel pump is cam driven and that is the noise. I said alright then, got in my car, and drove home.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.