08 3.6 engine noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 08 3.6 engine noise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer I pulled in to the service department and went in to meet with the service manager. ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 08 3.6 engine noise

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    I pulled in to the service department and went in to meet with the service manager. He and a technician walked out to the car with me. Started the engine, popped the hood, and technician says "that's normal" to which I had no response. He said the high pressure fuel pump is cam driven and that is the noise. I said alright then, got in my car, and drove home.
    Good to hear from you oldcaddybuyer. Thanks for updating us on your dealership visit. If you have additional concerns please let us know.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swanka View Post
    My 05 sounded like that on start up when I purchased it (about a week and a 1/2 ago) and had a slight whine sound when driving in city. Turned out that the power steering pump was failing. The honest dealership agreed and replaced it (no charge) after owning for two days.. (BTW a Chevy dealer, not a Caddy one). Happy to report that the car is quiet as an empty room since.
    Hi Swanka,

Glad to hear about your report that your vehicle issue was resolved. Enjoy driving your vehicle around!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Good to hear from you oldcaddybuyer. Thanks for updating us on your dealership visit. If you have additional concerns please let us know.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Additional concerns? I still have the original concern. Nothing was accomplished other than wasting my time. I have not been able to hear the noise my engine makes on any other 3.6 except for the one the OP linked. I still do not believe the noise to be 'normal' and find it ironic how in both cases the service manager said "oh yea I hear that noise...doesn't sound right" but the tech automatically said "yea that's normal" without checking anything.

I don't know which is worse. The fact that it ticks or the fact that it is considered normal for an engine to make such a noise in a Cadillac.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

I have an 08 3.6 DI and mine does not make any unusual noises except you can hear the injectors when the hood is open, but they are not very loud - just kind of a soft ticking..

Clark52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

Just bought the 08 STS myself,.. and have the SAME TAPPING NOISE. It does not go away under any circumstances. I have read all forums, gathered info. from just about everywhere concerning these engines (3.6 V6 DI) and continue to get the same answers you do;..." these sounds are normal for this particular engine ." Injectors a/o fuel pump noise. Seems as though with all the complaints about these engines, GM should,.. by now, have some factory fix, or retro solution, or something. After all, these are CADILLACS,.. not lawn mowers ! PLEASE, if anybody out there has found a true remedy, PLEASE POST.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Via mechanics stethescope or the old hose trick, it ought to be possible to narrow down the source of this noise.

Good luck!

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Clark52 View Post
    Just bought the 08 STS myself,.. and have the SAME TAPPING NOISE. It does not go away under any circumstances. I have read all forums, gathered info. from just about everywhere concerning these engines (3.6 V6 DI) and continue to get the same answers you do;..." these sounds are normal for this particular engine ." Injectors a/o fuel pump noise. Seems as though with all the complaints about these engines, GM should,.. by now, have some factory fix, or retro solution, or something. After all, these are CADILLACS,.. not lawn mowers ! PLEASE, if anybody out there has found a true remedy, PLEASE POST.
    Ear plugs or turn up the radio.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaddybuyer View Post
    Additional concerns? I still have the original concern. Nothing was accomplished other than wasting my time. I have not been able to hear the noise my engine makes on any other 3.6 except for the one the OP linked. I still do not believe the noise to be 'normal' and find it ironic how in both cases the service manager said "oh yea I hear that noise...doesn't sound right" but the tech automatically said "yea that's normal" without checking anything.

I don't know which is worse. The fact that it ticks or the fact that it is considered normal for an engine to make such a noise in a Cadillac.
    Hello oldcaddybuyer,

I apologize for your dealership visit. I do understand how that can be frustrating, especially when the manager states that the noise does not sound right. Have you thought about taking your vehicle to another local Cadillac dealership to have another opinion?

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.