2006 STS 3.6 Oil Consumption
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 STS 3.6 Oil Consumption in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 2006 STS with the 3.6 engine, 73000 miles, has been using 1 quart of oil every 7 - 800 ...
    chachd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2006 SRX

2006 STS 3.6 Oil Consumption

My 2006 STS with the 3.6 engine, 73000 miles, has been using 1 quart of oil every 7 - 800 miles. I contacted Cadillac Customer Service and did the oil consumption test through my dealer. Cadillac responded and said they wold pay 1/2 of the cost. I appealed through Customer service and was told that's all they would do. I've told the dealer to go ahead with the repairs, which will cost about $2,900 unless the heads need to be rebuilt or $3,300 if they do. I'm very unhappy with GM and Cadillac for not paying the full cost of repairs since this is a widely known problem. In addition to the STS my wife has a 2006 SRX and our daughter has a 2007 CTS. I owned 9 GM vehicles over the years and have supported the domestic auto industry, so thats what you get for loyalty. Guess how many GM cars are in our future!!

Sorry for the rant!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2006 STS 3.6 Oil Consumption

they didn't have to pay anything at all, you know that right?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k

you're lucky Cadillac agreed to pay for half...Your car is way out of its warranty period. I'd say that's damn good customer service since they agreed to help out with the bill even though they have every right not to.
    C&C and C&C like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

chachd, Same thing with my 06 STS V6. I was lucky I caught it Just before the warrenty ran out. The torque converter gave up after the warrenty. It has taken a while but Cadillac paid half for the converter replacement ( $900.) After I paid $130. for the software up date that didn't work. A local Transmission shop quoted me $1000. Plus sales tax. I beleive that no car should have these type of problem with so many cars. Cadillac should step up an correct the issues for there customers if they want return customers. I have only bought american cars & trucks And don't know how Honda, Toyota treat there customers. Some day I may find out. Danny

Yes, I understand that. However, when you do an internet search for any GM vehicle 3.6 V6 oil consumption you come up with thousands of the same type of complaints. I've not found that for any other vehicle. This indicates a flaw either in the engine design or assembly. If this were an isolated instance I would just chalk it up to bad luck. I have always been a defender of the US auto industry and will never buy a Japanese car, but I now know the frustration that many feel with the auto industry. Defend it all you want but a car should not be burning a quart of oil every 800 miles when it has been taken care of and driven carefully.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    It does not indicate what you claim. It indicates that people with problems with a product will voice their issues online. You have no frame of reference as to how many others are out there without problems.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

How many Toyota engines died due to oil sludge? They denied it for years. There are other such stories.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

ever notice all the F150s out there that have black front wheels due to oil or some other fluids leaking out onto the rim?

No Brand / Model is going to be trouble free. Cadillac did a favor for you that they didn't need to do.
    They did help out a lot of cars that were out of warranty for this issue but they had to draw a line in the sand on the model years they can cover.
    Yours is just too old for the free ride, but they still went above the call for you.

Also, babying the car the whole time can be just as bad or even worse then driving it hard.
    Perhaps your piston rings are seized up and allowing a lot of oil blow-by because you haven't driven it hard enough.

Another part of it may boil down to the fact that you likely are not the original owner of the car.
    There are certain hoops that a dealer will jump through if you were original owner and bought the car from them.

Obviously you've never had the same type of $6,000 problem with a car. Of course I never had either until this STS. I don't buy the driving harder is easier on a car. Why do you think racing engines don't last? The high rpm's wear an engine out faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    ever notice all the F150s out there that have black front wheels due to oil or some other fluids leaking out onto the rim?

No Brand / Model is going to be trouble free. Cadillac did a favor for you that they didn't need to do.
    They did help out a lot of cars that were out of warranty for this issue but they had to draw a line in the sand on the model years they can cover.
    Yours is just too old for the free ride, but they still went above the call for you.

Also, babying the car the whole time can be just as bad or even worse then driving it hard.
    Perhaps your piston rings are seized up and allowing a lot of oil blow-by because you haven't driven it hard enough.

Another part of it may boil down to the fact that you likely are not the original owner of the car.
    There are certain hoops that a dealer will jump through if you were original owner and bought the car from them.

Gonjafishing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Seville SLS 4.6L 32V North*
    Race engines dont last because they have barely any miles on them and nothin is properly seated so it always ends bad but when you want to baby a higher performamce engine you will build carbon on your piston rings and they will seize.. Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonjafishing View Post
    Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.
    This is what I'm sayin.

fly187 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

That's about the funniest thing I have ever read on here! Ford's Black Rim? Oil leaking on rim. ROFLMAO. THat's would be called brake dust, and people that never wash them. Hell my STS does the same thing on the rear wheels if I start slacking in the wash dept.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Quote Originally Posted by chachd View Post
    Defend it all you want but a car should not be burning a quart of oil every 800 miles when it has been taken care of and driven carefully.
    GM warranty guy told me the ones that burn oil were driving too easy and oil consumption was due to carbon buil up.

Thats brake dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonjafishing View Post
    Race engines dont last because they have barely any miles on them and nothin is properly seated so it always ends bad but when you want to baby a higher performamce engine you will build carbon on your piston rings and they will seize.. Obviously you don want to drive mach chicken everywhere but occasional wide open throttles are good for an engine.
    We have broke them in on the dyno in 20 minutes. One engine has over 300 passes on it running in the low nines on nitrous. That one had a what we call a 50 foot break in on the street.
    A lot don't last long because of the stress on parts that were not made to handle big power and being pushed too hard.

Always good to go w.o.t. to keep the carbon down.

Quote Originally Posted by fly187 View Post
    That's about the funniest thing I have ever read on here! Ford's Black Rim? Oil leaking on rim. ROFLMAO. THat's would be called brake dust, and people that never wash them. Hell my STS does the same thing on the rear wheels if I start slacking in the wash dept.
    It could be brake dust but it always seems to be much worse on one side of the car than the other.

I was told that it was a front diff / CV joint seal that would break open and the way it would typically leak it would run down onto the rim.
    This is what I was told while working at a salvage yard when I asked why one of the front wheels on the ford trucks was always worse than the others.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by R/T kota View Post
    GM warranty guy told me the ones that burn oil were driving too easy and oil consumption was due to carbon buil up.

Thats brake dust.

We have broke them in on the dyno in 20 minutes. One engine has over 300 passes on it running in the low nines on nitrous. That one had a what we call a 50 foot break in on the street.
    A lot don't last long because of the stress on parts that were not made to handle big power and being pushed too hard.

Always good to go w.o.t. to keep the carbon down.

Good info I agree with. baby these engines that are prefilled with superior protecting oil and odds are the rings will never seat properly. Drive them hard and you usually will not only have no or little oil consumption issues, but more power as well from a proper ring seat. In the first 100 miles (or on the engine dyno, or a couple passes down the track) rings are pretty much seated, if they are going to be. By 500 miles or so, a hard glaze forms on the cylinder walls and the cross=hatch can no longer abrade the rings further so the short window has passed.

We break in with a good ZDP additive conventional oil and then change to a good full syn after 500-1000 miles max.

If you want the carbon deposits to a minimum, then a properly functioning catchcan is your only solution there (R/T, I assume you run a belt driven vacuum pump so no oil ingestion issues). And not just the standard poor performing cans most purchase.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.