need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have been searching on autotrader and craigslist for local STS. Not sure what options are more known to have ...
    is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Question need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS

i have been searching on autotrader and craigslist for local STS. Not sure what options are more known to have problems or recalls. What are the common color/trim combo with accessories that are an option and not standard. Im trying to narrow my search, so I am not looking at every STS and not know what I am looking for. I will be test driving one here in the not so distant future. But for now, I just want to kick the tires without going to the Stealership and get hassled by the not so considerate sale person, that dont know anything about the car that they sell. I figured I at least ask here and hopefully get some good insight on what is out there with minimal additional expenses, if there is such a thing with any car.

Thanks for taking the time to read and the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jimmbo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

Re: need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS

Water leaking and remaining in trunk lid is common, so is heated steering wheel failure. loose seat cushions is also common. Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that. Rainsense wipers might or might not work consistantly, easy to circumvent and restore to normal intermitant mode.
    mckellyb and mckellyb like this.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The more features it has, the more there is to go wrong. The more advanced the feature, the more expensive to fix. That could be said about most cars.

Someone who feels a comparable car is more reliable should consider both it's purchase price and repair cost. I've found the STS to be a good value.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    Water leaking and remaining in trunk lid is common, so is heated steering wheel failure. loose seat cushions is also common. Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that. Rainsense wipers might or might not work consistantly, easy to circumvent and restore to normal intermitant mode.
    I have not heard of the leaking trunk issue?

Thought GM fixed issue in the last STS/Aurora/Bonneville series cars

----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    The more features it has, the more there is to go wrong. The more advanced the feature, the more expensive to fix. That could be said about most cars.

Someone who feels a comparable car is more reliable should consider both it's purchase price and repair cost. I've found the STS to be a good value.
    little more to it than that

Just because a car has more features doesn't mean it will be less reliable than one with less. That is well documented.

As I have stated before....perceived high( and often) repair costs will drive a luxury cars resale to the bottom quickly

So this drives the car to buyers who can afford to buy it because of its low resale...but cant afford to fix it.

Or...someone who chooses not to repair the car because the value of the car/repair cost ratio is negative. Neither situation is good for the overall market value of the car

These are both considerations in buying a luxury car as well from the dollars and cents standpoint

Warren

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Water leaking into the inside of the lid only... it doesn't pool in the bottom of the trunk (well I guess it would eventually if you never open the lid and love to try and force water in).

Source of leak for some is the 3rd brake light.
    Source of leak for me was around the reverse lights.

Easy fix, and besides the lid is aluminum so not really a big deal and there are some rubber plugs that you can pull to drain the lid of water.

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

well it does sound like the older cars then

I used to have an Aurora and I am not sure where the water came in...but it would gather in the trim and then pool in the spare tire well

Had an 02 STS as well..it didnt leak....though I have seen many others that did

Warren

Our '98 STS didn't leak, but neither do our newer ones.

Like so many issues, far more members post when it does happen than ever post when it doesn't. Nothing here is statistically meaningful; just interesting.

^^ correct. My 02 DTS didn't have any issues with water leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    this is what im interested in hearing. different peoples perspective of their issues of the STS they own or owned.
    my IS300 is the same way on changing the headlights. And on top of that, its the only way to change the signal bulbs as well. And there is 2 bulbs per side i hate hyper blinking signals

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Our '98 STS didn't leak, but neither do our newer ones.

Like so many issues, far more members post when it does happen than ever post when it doesn't. Nothing here is statistically meaningful; just interesting.
    interesting to know

Is it true that the Northstar is a stronger motor than the V6 for '09 or older?

The Northstar has always been the stronger motor (regardless of year).
    More HP
    More Torque
    More Displacement, Valves, Pistons, Cylinders, Lifters ... you get the idea
    More reliable - no timing chain issues, no oil consumption issues.

07+ it has the 6 spd transmission attached to it, V6 got the 6spd in 08+, otherwise they had the 5spd.

In 2010, the Rainsense feature was deleted, but you could still get the N* & ACC. No more after that.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

If it helps, I've had very few problems on my 2005 and it has nearly 100k on it now.

A sensor on a door handle (that unlocks the car when the keyfob is near) went. That was covered under warranty and would have been about $250 if not.

The CD player no longer plays burnt CDs (I use my phone as a mp3 player anyway).

The biggest problem is the TPMS sensors. I replace them and 2 years later the batteries die and they either stop working or start reporting bad values, especially in the cold, but that's a problem that almost everybody I know has with their car anyway regardless of make. At this point I just click off the warning messages and periodically check my tire pressure with a gauge.

Absolutely no front end work, no oil leakage or mechanical problems of any sort.

I don't beat the crap out of it by any means and avoid all of the bumps I can, which I'm sure accounts for something but still...

I hear both engines are reliable enough, but the Northstar has tons of low end power and I gather they get about the same gas mileage (I get about 18 in the winter when I remote start it and 20.5 in the summer, very consistently unless I take a trip on 100% highway on flatter grounds than I normally drive on).

I would buy the car again. My experiences don't speak for everyone obviously, but I say go for it.

Thumbs up Re: need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS

Quote Originally Posted by fps_dean View Post
    If it helps, I've had very few problems on my 2005 and it has nearly 100k on it now.
    Nice to know. 100k miles is a confidence builder. Are you the original owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    The Northstar has always been the stronger motor (regardless of year).
    More HP
    More Torque
    More Displacement, Valves, Pistons, Cylinders, Lifters ... you get the idea
    More reliable - no timing chain issues, no oil consumption issues.

07+ it has the 6 spd transmission attached to it, V6 got the 6spd in 08+, otherwise they had the 5spd.
    Does that mean that the V6 has more issues compared to the Northstar?
    I might be leaning towards the V6 for cheaper insurance premium

The V6 does have more issues. It's the same 3.6 used in the CTS and SRX so if you've looked at those at all you will see what I'm talking about.

I would bet that a V8 with adaptive cruise, forward collision avoidance, blind spot detection and lane departure warning would have almost the same premium as the V6 would. (More safety features available on the V8 model)

Not sure how old you are or your driving record but mine is what I would consider to be relatively cheap. 2 cars for $100 a month with $500 deduct and free glass with higher bodily injury coverage than minimums.
    2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6 ~80k miles.
    2008 STS4 AWD 4.6L V8 ~80k miles.
    I've got no speeding / moving violations.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.