need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Funny you said the CTS. I have read horror stories of the V6 problems. Good, or should I say, bad ...
    is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Re: need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS

Funny you said the CTS. I have read horror stories of the V6 problems. Good, or should I say, bad to know that the V6 is both in the CTS and STS. I am going to call my insurance companay tomorrow, as I found an 07, silver on black V8 rwd with 75k miles on the ODO. The bad is that the wheels are 20's. If I am going to test drive a car, it should have stock wheels.

My next question is, what is the difference between the 05-07 model yr and 08-12 model yr? This goes with additional option and features, tranny issues, recalls, etc. The more info, the better This is for the Northstar V8 motor

Thanks for the help so far. Keep them coming

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The CTS does have an engine option that I'd find acceptable, I don't know the RPO but it's commonly known as the V.

centennialman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4

Quote Originally Posted by is3_ftw View Post
    i have been searching on autotrader and craigslist for local STS. Not sure what options are more known to have problems or recalls. What are the common color/trim combo with accessories that are an option and not standard. Im trying to narrow my search, so I am not looking at every STS and not know what I am looking for. I will be test driving one here in the not so distant future. But for now, I just want to kick the tires without going to the Stealership and get hassled by the not so considerate sale person, that dont know anything about the car that they sell. I figured I at least ask here and hopefully get some good insight on what is out there with minimal additional expenses, if there is such a thing with any car.

Thanks for taking the time to read and the help
    As far as I know, 08 was the first year with a 'direct injected' V6. And that would be my year. 300+ horsepower on regular gas, plus decent mileage if you are light footed. Go to an 07, and you loose 50 HP, and probably need premium gas (could be wrong here). For example, I drove Toronto to near Ft. Lauderdale on pretty much 50 gallons (US) of gas. So, about 30 mpg. It's also an STS-4, so the traction is amazing. As is the braking, because it also came with the performance braking system. It's the most stable car I've ever driven. I've driven it about 24K miles in the 2 years that I've owned it; 1 bad coil pack and front hub so far, but all covered either under the 100K mile / 5 year warranty, or the extended warranty that I bought (definitely consider this).

Glad you're happy. So are we!

2007CadiFatty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V8

I bought my '07 STS V8 RWD with 57,000 miles in October and after 5,000 miles it has had no problems whatsoever. I just drained and refilled the coolant since it was probably the original. Speed governors vary, mine cuts out at 109 mph which is absurd but HP Tuners makes software to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    The CTS does have an engine option that I'd find acceptable, I don't know the RPO but it's commonly known as the V.
    I see that you have an 07 and 06 STS. besides the AWD and the RWD differences. What noticeable difference is it between the 1SG and 1SE on yours?

haha, I was looking at the CTS-V, but I really dont need that much hp. I do like the style of both CTS and STS. Im leaning more to the STS for more luxury and less sporty feel. I have an IS300 that is sporty and Im 37. Need for a change

The 1SG has the goodies:

CE4 - HEADLAMP WASHERS
    F55 - CVRTD MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL
    FE3 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
    GU5 - AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    JE5 - 17" PERFORMANCE BRAKES
    K59 - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL INCLUDES HEAD-UP DISPLAY
    KB6 - HEATED/VENTILATED FRONT SEATS
    N87 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
    NV7 - PREMIUM ZF STEERING GEAR
    T43 - REAR SPOILER
    TQ5 - INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL
    TT6 - HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS
    UV6 - RECONFIGURABLE HEAD UP DISPLAY
    V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    1SE is the base model I believe, then 1SF, then 1SG...

The only thing my 1SF doesn't have is the big brakes, upgraded steering, and six lug hubs as far as I know.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Is there a way to tell which package the car has?
    I found one at a car lot(not a caddy stealership). 07 with 75k on the odo. Haven't talked to the sales about price. I can get the VIN #

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Quote Originally Posted by is3_ftw View Post
    Is there a way to tell which package the car has?
    I found one at a car lot(not a caddy stealership). 07 with 75k on the odo. Haven't talked to the sales about price. I can get the VIN #
    Run the VIN on this site;

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

It will list all of the option codes for that vehicle.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

There's a tag on the spare tire cover: V6 models are 1SA, 1SB & 1SC and V8's are 1SE, 1SF & 1SG. Individual option RPO codes are also listed. Running the VIN can produce the same information PLUS all GM dealer-performed maintenance.

If the OP is still looking for motivation, the STS still offers quite a lot of features at a competitve price and there aren't all that many of them on the road. My wife and I love ours.

Detractors can legitimately counter-argue that repairs can be frequent and expensive. Availability of aftermarket modifications and/or are very limited. Opinions vary.

Have fun!

So far, the info has been helpful and hope to hear more feedback from others
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    There's a tag on the spare tire cover: V6 models are 1SA, 1SB & 1SC and V8's are 1SE, 1SF & 1SG. Individual option RPO codes are also listed. Running the VIN can produce the same information PLUS all GM dealer-performed maintenance.

If the OP is still looking for motivation, the STS still offers quite a lot of features at a competitve price and there aren't all that many of them on the road. My wife and I love ours.

Detractors can legitimately counter-argue that repairs can be frequent and expensive. Availability of aftermarket modifications and/or are very limited. Opinions vary.

Have fun!
    Where exactly should I look for the codes on the spare tire cover? Also, I was sitting in the car and couldn't find the trunk release button/lever. Is it hidden? The part that sucks about this car is that they have it on 20" wheels and will only change it to stock wheels when it is purchased and not before then. To me, the bigger wheels will give the ride a different feel, or does it matter?

The downfall about getting the cadillac is finding a new mechanic that I can trust. I have been going to 1 mechanic for the past 17yrs. He only works on Japanese engines and will only do minor engine work on other engines. He saved me over $1500 on my 90k service on my IS. The stealerships wanted $2200 for a 90k service WTF!!

When you're looking at the spare, the 4" x 5" label is staring you in the face. It has the VIN and all the build codes for the car (unless the trunk floor molding has been altered or replaced.)

The trunk release is at the rear of the driver's door map pocket. The wheels indirectly affect the ride due to the very low-profile tires which can make a dramatic difference. Differently equipped STS vary greatly with some drivers finding many of the OEM setups too firm.

Some repairs almost require a Cadillac dealer. Other GM dealers may have access to the corporate network & resources but I think an STS owner will find value in having a good relationship with one or more Cadillac dealers. A good independent (or DIYer with a service manual or AllData) can do most service.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo View Post
    Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that.
    I'll be immediately behind you in line.

Had to do it again this weekend, because the gaskets got a bit pinched putting them back.

90 minutes with the garage hair drier, some clear bathtub caulk, a few creative phrases directed at the engineers who did this, and it should be okay...I hope.

IDK, it's not a common occurance. My wife and I have had our cars for over fours years and neither one has needed it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.