Question RE: low oil and engine light codes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Question RE: low oil and engine light codes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my 05 STS started bucking and making a grinding type noise over the weekend. Yesterday while driving, it started ...
    ilvmustng2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Question RE: low oil and engine light codes

So my 05 STS started bucking and making a grinding type noise over the weekend. Yesterday while driving, it started bucking very badly and the engine light came on and started flashing. Luckily I was right at work. Called the dealer and had it towed in. Today they state first that the car had no oil, (had the oil changed 1 month ago and see no signs of leaks) then they called back and stated it had 2 quarts. The said they filled the car with oil and it is running great. They also state that the engine codes were P0303, P0304, P0305. These all look like misfire codes to me. Does this make sense to anyone? Can very low oil cause these codes? Also just an FYI the oil light never came on and they see no issue with this. Also they have no idea how I lost 4 quarts of oil in 1 month. Any ideas from people would be grealy appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    If this is a 3.6L you're probably burning it, well documented issue here on CF...I don't believe the 3.6 has an oil level sensor, time to use the dipstick...

These engines have VVT which relies on oil pressure to function. Low oil will most definitely cause misfire codes if it gets low enough.

I'd start checking it weekly to gauge how much oil your engine is using.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Re: Question RE: low oil and engine light codes

I think you are right, the STS only had an idiot light for low pressure, but not for low oil level. I check my oil level everytime I fill up just to be sure. Some have claimed they burn a few quarts in 1000 miles. I can't remember what GM claims is normal, 1qt every 2K miles? A couple people have had the piston rings replaced and said that stopped all oil burning and the car ran great. Of course, I think most of those were under warranty, as that would be a pricey bill to have to foot.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    The rings got replaced in those engines because they were seized by carbon build up and could no longer move freely.

There is a fix for this oil useage issue somewhere on the CTS forum. It involves drilling out the PCV orifice, installing an oil catch can, and breather cap.

Same engine so it would translate to the STS.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

The 3.6L has an oil level indicator but the only time it is sensed is at startup so it won't be coming and going on a rough road and the oil is sloshing around.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

With this car, I've gotten into the habit of checking my oil regularly... about once every two weeks or before and after long trips, relatively speaking.

Interestingly, if I check it cold, it shows the oil right at the top (maybe a millimeter above) of the "cross hatches" on dip stick. If I start it, let it run for a few minutes, shut it down and let it sit for about 3 minutes, when I check it then, the oil is right at the bottom (maybe a millimeter above) of the cross hatches. Based on this variance I see in the oil level on the dip stick, I can understand how one might always be driving around on the lower side of "full". Particularly if they only check their oil level when the engine is cold.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    The 3.6L has an oil level indicator but the only time it is sensed is at startup so it won't be coming and going on a rough road and the oil is sloshing around.
    Only the n* got a level sensor. V6 does not have one.

Crystal_Pate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I've had this exact same problem and was told it was my coil pack. They should be able to tell you which cylinder in misfiring but my understanding is just replace them all. Good luck

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I wouldn't expect a warranty to replace a good coil pack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.