2006 - 2007 -2008: Which to choose?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By curtc
  • 2 Post By Ludacrisvp
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2006 - 2007 -2008: Which to choose? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Folks, After 18 years of devotion to my crimson 91 ETC, it's time to upgrade; and STS sure looks like ...
    EldoRedo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ETC (Crimson)

2006 - 2007 -2008: Which to choose?

Folks,

After 18 years of devotion to my crimson 91 ETC, it's time to upgrade; and STS sure looks like the way to go. First, I see that the 2008 makeover was seen as quite worthwhile, and the 272 ft/lb torque of the V-6 is closer to the 275 I have now with my 4.9 (and a 102 HP gain!).

The reviewers argued the extra weight and cost of the North* wasn't worth the upgrade for 2008 -- although the price difference isn't that big a factor now, and I also see a lot of people on this forum say they'd pick the North*. I'm sure tempted to go that route, but I'm still a little nervous, thinking it might be more prone to problems and expensive to maintain than the V-6. Is there a consensus yet on the reliability of the V-6 v. the North* used for 2008?

Now, all that said --I'm frankly tempted by 2006/7 because of Redline paint option, a little bolder to my eye than the Crystal Red Tintcoat on the 2008. I'm also not wild about the chrome exterior trim added for 2008. The trade-off, of course, would be the 2007's 255 HP (still +55 from what I have now) but...20 ft/lbs less torque!

Therefore -- I'm wondering if I might be happy enough with a 2007 North* (unless they're notorious)? Or was the 2008 makeover a big enough advance overall to go with that but just a V-6?

Thanks for any and all thoughts and sorry to go on so long, but I respect the opinions of our members and wanted to let you know what factors I am weighing. And hey, no matter what it looks like I can finally stop buying premium gas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 125k
    The 05-07 V6 are very well known for timing chain issues, not good, if you decide on a V6 get an 08+.

In 2008 the V6 got Direct Injection which bumped the HP up to 310 from 255.

The N* was redone for 2005. The HG issue is no longer a problem. The head tech at my local GM dealer said they've never done one. Only major concern is the half case seal, that's still an issue, but not nearly as common as it used to be with the pre-05 N*.

I went with the N* because of the added power and torque, plus that V8 growl A Cadillac shouldn't have a V6 in it IMO....
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Re: 2006 - 2007 -2008: Which to choose?

Thanks for the input. I thought the 08 V-6 was only bumped to 302 HP? And yes philosophically I agree about the V-8!

I checked Consumer Reports today (for what that's worth). For 06-09, all got black dots for totals except 06 with half-black. The 09 came off best, but got black dots for fuel, electrical, body hardware and power equipment. For comparison, CR found the 08 DTS to be very good. Now I'm really hesitant, since the big reason for getting rid of my 91 is to hopefully avoid lots of repairs. Kelly BB has 09 STS N* at $23,350. That's a little more than I'm looking to spend.

I'd had my eye on a low-mileage 2006 V-6 -- but given your comments about timing chains, now not so sure. And Jeeze the DTS just screams Gramps. Heck, I might just keep the ETC after all. But still disappointing because there's so much to like about the STS...

Update: I read through the threads here on timing chain issues and did more online research. This is a problem with the chains apparently stretching, possibly because of a manufacturing flaw, and a replacement kit is available. Cadillac doesn't want to do a recall so has extended some warranties. Sounds to me like if you are well-aware of this problem you should be OK. I feel a little better.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Just go V8

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The V-6's have their fans but the DI didn't boost torque much or eliminate the tendency for timing chain & oil consumption complications. Some options were still only available on V-8 equipped trim levels. But opinions and experience still vary.

Yeah I also found one opinion that "Replacement of the timing chains on this engine is very labor intensive. Labor time is around 13 hours. Average labor cost per hour is $80 (around $120 at the dealer) Parts for the replacement (chains, guides, tensioner, gaskets, fluids, etc.) will run another $450-500. Overall cost of repairs will be in the range of $1500-2000 depending upon the labor rate of the shop that you choose to do the repairs."

So it's looking more and more like a 2008 N* would be the answer...

Here is the first Service Campaign letter to owners from February 2012 about the 2007 STS.

Here is the April letter.

Here is the follow-up letter to owners from May 2012 about the warranty extension. Here, the year range was expanded to 2007-2009.

And one from November 2012 about reimbusements.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

For some members, this 'Service Campaign' was more about a reflash of the OLM to call for more frequent oil changes than extension of warranty coverage.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Quote Originally Posted by EldoRedo View Post
    Yeah I also found one opinion that "Replacement of the timing chains on this engine is very labor intensive.

Timing chain replacement is very labor intensive on any motor, and that much more on an over head cam engine. I have done timing chains on a 1989 Oldsmobile with the 3800V6, which was push rod, so simplier, but still a lot of work to get too. And on a 2002 Jetta VR6, which was pretty miserable. I've also had to do belts on a Miata and a Saturn Vue. Neither of which were a walk in the park, but were much easier overall compared to any timing chain job I've ever done.

Another Vote for the Northstar here. Gotta love the sound of a V8

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

07 v8 since it has 6 spd trans. heard 5l50(05,06) was more reliable by a tech at capital cadillac but thats his experience but it was based on what he has repaired so in a way it has credability

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.