The time has come (HID's)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, The time has come (HID's) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The time has come and i am ready to order a set of HID's for the STS, i have a ...
    06WhiteDiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V

The time has come (HID's)

The time has come and i am ready to order a set of HID's for the STS, i have a few questions regarding the order and would hope a few members could provide me with some more information.

1. Should i purchase the 35w or the 55w kit?
    2. Do the stock projectors affect the light output? I have 8000k 55w on my Buick Regal and really like the blue look. I did notice that while using the search function most users recommend 6000k.
    3. Is the HID harness necessary? I ordered them for my Buick Regal and it turned out to be a waste of money since i did not need to use them.

On a side note i will be ordering from DDM Tuning, i have never had any issues with this company and have referred many friends and received positive feedback. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado_97 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, W/Nav

Re: The time has come (HID's)

Did you have factory HID's cause you can get 6000k or 8000k HID's for your sts on ebay that are a direct replacement otherwise if you had halogens then ddm is what I have installed in probably a dozen different vehicles with probably 2 of them having problems with faulty ballasts and their warranty return is a PITA to say the least. PM if you got any other questions cause your generation STS isnt as easy to change the bulb as mine lol

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado_97 View Post
    Did you have factory HID's cause you can get 6000k or 8000k HID's for your sts on ebay that are a direct replacement otherwise if you had halogens then ddm is what I have installed in probably a dozen different vehicles with probably 2 of them having problems with faulty ballasts and their warranty return is a PITA to say the least. PM if you got any other questions cause your generation STS isnt as easy to change the bulb as mine lol
    Unfortunately i have stock halogen setup so i am simply doing the HID conversion, also thinking about doing the fogs at the same time.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    I have 6000k lows and fogs...I love the color

J.Chorba23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS
    I just installed DDM 6000k 35w lows and fogs..color is great and they very bright. You'll be pleased. Installation is a pain in the a$$ though

5TA1NER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

I had 6000k hid's from ddm in Lincoln. Haven't made it into the Cadillac yet but I cant imagine it will be that much longer. Those things were awesome and lasted the year I had the car with them.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

5000k looks blue as hell if you get those ac ballast. i kept 5000k bulbs and got ddm 55w ballast and now have oem color with much brighter output. Ive had retros and these dont fall short from an oem setup with phillips 85122 bulbs. I stop paying attention to the flicker of cutoffs years ago but do wish I had tsx color band or atleast thick burple like e55 maxima

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

I put my hids in Friday night but I had factory ones I put 6000k I must admit install was not as hard as people let on

Quote Originally Posted by scott9001 View Post
    I put my hids in Friday night but I had factory ones I put 6000k I must admit install was not as hard as people let on
    yeah its easy if you have a intake and dont put the bolts back in the bottom of the fuse box, just the 1 10 mm at the top will do lol. hardest thing is the city light but ive did it so many times its no issue anymore

Well based on sheer responses i am in the process of ordering the 6000k 35w slim ballast kit, is the harness necessary?

the relay harness isnt, but the h11 that comes with the kit is.

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warren View Post
    yeah its easy if you have a intake and dont put the bolts back in the bottom of the fuse box, just the 1 10 mm at the top will do lol. hardest thing is the city light but ive did it so many times its no issue anymore
    I put it all back to the way it should be! No leaving bolts and no I don't have a intake I removed the bumper as required.

Quote Originally Posted by scott9001 View Post
    I put it all back to the way it should be! No leaving bolts and no I don't have a intake I removed the bumper as required.
    i take my bulbs out a lot so thats why i didnt bother putting them back. and thats too much work to take the bumper off, i took the bumper off the cts when i put hids in back in 06 but its a way to get those in without taking bumper off as well. same thing at work a t.o. might say remove this that and this but when you you got enough birds out the hangar you learn to do it faster and skip unnecessary steps, but i cant leave bolts off on anything at work

I ordered the 6000K slim ballast set, will post pictures in this thread for future members that may have the same questions as myself. Thanks for all the reply's, I still find it unbelievable that the whole front bumper has to be removed to install the HID's but i guess that's just Cadillac engineering at its finest.

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 129k
    Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteDiamond
    I still find it unbelievable that the whole front bumper has to be removed to install the HID's but i guess that's just Cadillac engineering at its finest.
    The car wasn't exactly marketed to DIY'ers. I think their goal is to make it as difficult as possible so more owners just bend over at the stealership.
    orange57 and orange57 like this.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.