Cadillac Owners Forum banner

STS in the Snow?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  ECha3 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing an STS from the estate of a friends father who recently passed. 2005 V8 AWD. 59K mi. It looks like a brand new car. I am told he babied the car. Always garaged, and religiously maintained by the dealer.

Anyway I intend to use this car as a daily driver here in New England. I am interested to hear from you folks in the snow belt who drive your STSs all year long. How does the car handle in the snow? What do you do for winter wheels and tires? I noticed that Tire Rack does not offer steel wheels for the car.

Thanks for looking!

#7 ·
My RWD STS performed admirably this winter here in MN. Lost the rear end a couple times but the TC and Stability System saved her. I ran Cooper Weather-Master ST/2's on 17" CTS wheels. Dunno if I'd trade her for an AWD model, I like that extra speed.

#12 ·
I've seen plenty of 4WD/AWD vehicles in the ditch this winter, in fact, most of them fall into that category. AWD helps for sure but it doesn't magically turn a car into a snow machine like some seem to think.

I went through one winter in my CTS and am hoping this winter wraps up soon (please, please, please go away! Got dumped on AGAIN!) in my RWD STS...Haven't had much trouble getting around except for few select moments when having AWD may or may not have helped.

In summary, it's all about the rubber and the driver. Good tires do wonders in snow, whether they are dedicated winter tires or all seasons.

#16 ·
I'm not in the snow belt, but I make sure to take my '06 STS AWD out when it does snow. Car does really well. As previously mentioned, use your brain first.

First week or two of owning my STS, I got a little aggressive during a light snow, tried to pass people around a corner, back end came out from under me, had a moment when I was certain I was going to wreck my new ride (and look like a mega douche idiot), but then the stability system kicked in and it was like it magically straightened itself out. Don't recommend it though, it's hard on your heart (and on your ego).

#17 ·
jdpimp said:
First week or two of owning my STS, I got a little aggressive during a light snow, tried to pass people around a corner, back end came out from under me, had a moment when I was certain I was going to wreck my new ride (and look like a mega douche idiot), but then the stability system kicked in and it was like it magically straightened itself out. Don't recommend it though, it's hard on your heart (and on your ego).
Same, that computer sure does its thing pretty well. Twice this winter I've hit patches of glare ice and had the stability system save my ass...Pretty sure I would've ditched her without its assistance.

#19 ·
my '05 sts awd handles snow (in michigan) fairly well on my 'all-season' summer tires, but the real difference-maker (as it was on my old rwd cars) is the set of blizzak's (ie, REAL snow tires) I use during winter
- simply put, my old rwd car had better traction w/ blizzaks than my awd sts with 'all-season' tires - no comparison; add blizzaks to awd and you'll be truly amazed
If you want the safest and best handling on snow and ice (eg, actual traction on ice), do your research on the blizzaks (and the several other similar snow tires that are now on the market)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.