Startup Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Startup Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; About 90% of the time, when I start my car in the mornings before heading to work, it will run ...
    maiahsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 STS AWD 1SG

Startup Issues

About 90% of the time, when I start my car in the mornings before heading to work, it will run for a bout 15 seconds, and then shut down. When I restart it, I have to hold my foot on the gas because it's idling so rough that it won't continue to run. Then after about 15 seconds of that, it will smooth right out and run like butter. And will remain perfect until I shut it off for an extended amount of time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Re: Startup Issues

Take a look at the intake bolts, they often loosen and cause a lean condition (or you may have another vacuum leak elsewhere). Too Lean shows-up first during cold (extra rich) start & run conditions like you're describing...
    dkozloski and dkozloski like this.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If you get a Check Engine light, reading that would be the obvious first step. but if not, the loose bolts mentioned above often don't set a code.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3
    If you get a Check Engine light, reading that would be the obvious first step. but if not, the loose bolts mentioned above often don't set a code.
    A local mechanics shop said that the car had nine codes. He said that some codes cause other codes. Something about air. He says now I need to go to a dealer.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

If you have the Northstar, I second the recommendation to check the intake manifold bolts. Or, check the vacuum line that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the brake booster. I had mine come loose once, and the car idled terribly. Although in my case the tube had come off and was fixed once I put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by orange57
    If you have the Northstar, I second the recommendation to check the intake manifold bolts. Or, check the vacuum line that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the brake booster. I had mine come loose once, and the car idled terribly. Although in my case the tube had come off and was fixed once I put it back on.
    I have the Northstar. After pulling the codes, it seems that nine triggered. But the technician indicated that sometimes some codes will trigger other codes.

But there was indication of air problems. And they suggest I go to the dealer for that.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k
    Why take it to the dealer just yet?

What were the codes?
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Quote Originally Posted by maiahsdad View Post

I have the Northstar. After pulling the codes, it seems that nine triggered. But the technician indicated that sometimes some codes will trigger other codes.

But there was indication of air problems. And they suggest I go to the dealer for that.
    Ok, but before you go check the intake bolts. It is very easy to do. There are 10 to 12 going around the manifold. If any are loose, tighten them and then remove the negative from the battery to try and clear the codes. As we have been saying, loose intake bolts can cause a lot of codes. And if the first shop that looked at it wasn't knowledgeable on the STS they could easily over look it. It just may save you a trip to the dealer and a few hundred dollars.

Ok, but before you go check the intake bolts. It is very easy to do. There are 10 to 12 going around the manifold. If any are loose, tighten them and then remove the negative from the battery to try and clear the codes. As we have been saying, loose intake bolts can cause a lot of codes. And if the first shop that looked at it wasn't knowledgeable on the STS they could easily over look it. It just may save you a trip to the dealer and a few hundred dollars.
    Are these intake bolts easy to get to? I don't own any tools here in Indiana. I would need to go and purchase what I need. Does anyone have any diagrams to show me what to do, and what to torque the bolts at?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Basic hand tools especially in 1/4 will prove beneficial.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A 1/4" drive ratcheting torque wrench, a 6" extension, a universal joint socket that fits the bolts, and a combination wrench are all I needed. If you take off the oil filler and power steering caps and yank off the beauty cover it's all in front of you.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Be careful not to over tighten. The proper torque is very light. Somebody got it handy? 12 in/pds?

89 in-lbs for the manifold bolts.

89 in-lbs for the manifold bolts.
    So we're saying to torque the bolts to 89 pounds? Not sure what the "in" represents.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

that would be 'inch pounds' as opposed to the normal foot pounds.
    I believe people refer to this as just a bit tighter than finger tight.
    Keep in mind that the intake is plastic and over tightening will be an issue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.