Madtuner ECM and TCM Review - 2005 Cadillac STS N* - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Madtuner ECM and TCM Review - 2005 Cadillac STS N* in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't know about others, but I'd be fine with a somewhat more agressive 'Performance' setting but significantly softer Touring ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Madtuner ECM and TCM Review - 2005 Cadillac STS N*

I don't know about others, but I'd be fine with a somewhat more agressive 'Performance' setting but significantly softer Touring setting. A long time ago, there was a thread debating whether changing the shifter to Sport Mode affected MRC. I don't think it does on my car.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I don't know about others, but I'd be fine with a somewhat more agressive 'Performance' setting but significantly softer Touring setting. A long time ago, there was a thread debating whether changing the shifter to Sport Mode affected MRC. I don't think it does on my car.
    I would agree. Even though mine is too new for mad tuner's mods that is what I would want.

madtuner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I already started driving on AWD touring settings in a non-AWD car and whatever I had left over in there from my last experiments made the AWD settings feel like my old Olds Delta 88 boat. Ha.

Just so it's clear - are you looking for more of a boat feeling on the highway or is the general issue with how rough you can feel everything when you go over an obstacle such as a pothole?

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Ew. If I wanted a boat I'd buy a Deville. Maybe a little softer in touring would be nice but sport increase in performance I would like.

My awd isn't as firm as I'd like in the twistes at high speed but when I went from p zero Pirellis to dws continentals I noticed a drastic loss in performance handling as well due to the much softer sidewall

I would like a Deville DTS F45 CVRSS feeling in touring mode with a sportier performance mode.
    Other wise why bother with user controlled suspension settings if it is hard to tell that you've changed it...

Quote Originally Posted by madtuner View Post
    Just so it's clear - are you looking for more of a boat feeling on the highway or is the general issue with how rough you can feel everything when you go over an obstacle such as a pothole?
    My comments were more related to lower speeds. The 'slope' of the curve is going to be a very personal decision. Here're my guesses:

The Performance setting needn't be much less compliant below 30 mph but should become firmer at a greater rate as speed increases.

The Touring setting is OK at Interstate speeds but below 65 mph should begin softening and by 50 mph & down soft is good. I'd reserve 'boatlike' for 25 mph & down.

There is no reason why we couldn't have a tank and boat in the same package if that's we wanted, we just have to find some happy mediums. 1BadCadSTS, is that thing finally fixed? I might ask you to help road test some of these settings since you're good at noticing subtle differences.

PS. I can confirm that the sport shifter mode does nothing to the suspension settings.

It's reduced but noticeable especially when I run 87 octane (only when I take it on long trips do I run low octane). I found this (link below) and while my ECM has been replaced (the cause of my constant cam position sensor code issue) and has more recent cals in it it leads me to believe the issue is something in what the ECM commands not the TCM lock up commands.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/ts...-07-30-044.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    It's reduced but noticeable especially when I run 87 octane (only when I take it on long trips do I run low octane). I found this (link below) and while my ECM has been replaced (the cause of my constant cam position sensor code issue) and has more recent cals in it it leads me to believe the issue is something in what the ECM commands not the TCM lock up commands.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/ts...-07-30-044.pdf
    You know, I think mine does a bit of that too at low speeds while decelerating and it's not even an AWD. I do think it's driveline-related though. The reason why you might see it more with low octane is because your car has less torque then (the ECM will pull timing with lower octane). I don't think the ECM is directly responsible.

In any case, thanks for the input everyone. I will take all your requests in consideration when I develop the suspension calibrations.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 130K mi.

Echas, the 2005-2009 Jaaaaaag XJ Super V8, with air suspension, is JUST LIKE THIS!

It's ultra-cushy, until you want to do something, then it firms a LOT before you're done with input from the steering/accelerator/brakes.

Amazing, really.

I can confirm today that the AWD has the softest settings of all available, which is consistent with my observation yesterday when I mentioned that my car felt like a boat with the AWD settings after the stiffer settings I had in there prior.

Quote Originally Posted by madtuner View Post
    ...the general issue with how rough you can feel everything when you go over an obstacle such as a pothole?
    This is certainly part of the issue.

I think E described a pretty well touring setting.
    We could give Cadillac its signature ride back being semi floaty in touring mode then go full on tank mode for performance mode.

Damn. Sounds like I need rwd suspension settings in my awd lol.

Evidently the AWD hardware adds so much stiffness and transmits so much of the road to the driver that it would take a dynamic canceling system to achieve the feel in the RWD models.

Calling Dr. Bose....

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Evidently the AWD hardware adds so much stiffness and transmits so much of the road to the driver that it would take a dynamic canceling system to achieve the feel in the RWD models.

Calling Dr. Bose....
    EChas3,

I believe you misunderstood. Believe it or not, the AWD has the softest settings of all STS configurations. With that in mind, I don't believe the ESCM has enough of an adjustment range to make you entirely happy, but at least what you have now can be improved.

I've been doing some more testing over the last few days, including a speed bump and Chicago pothole test and I kept refining my "soft" tune only to realize that my end results are almost identical to the SRX SUV settings...

At any rate, I will do some testing soon with one of the customers who decided to keep his cable and we'll get a second (unbiased) opinion on this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.