Considering STS need some help/opnions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By orange57
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Considering STS need some help/opnions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well long story short I just won my Social Security battle, which was a 7 year ordeal with 3 appeals ...
    auroraandy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 N* (Dk. Toreador Red/Black Int)

Considering STS need some help/opnions

Well long story short I just won my Social Security battle, which was a 7 year ordeal with 3 appeals and such, but that means I get a 7 year back pay check of 7 years at $850 a month, it will be broken down into 3 checks (will receive first one about 3-6 months from now); i'm just glad this SSI battle is over with, sick of seeing people who get SSI who don't deserve it and are not disabled and are just lazy and don't want to work, however back on topic. Right now I own a 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora with the 4.0 N* which I love, I was going to consider selling it and throwing in a grand or so loan and get a 1998-2003 Seville STS (or SLS with all optional features that it can come equipped with, but still would prefer the STS); however now that I know i'm coming into some decent money I was thinking about good, efficient, fun to drive and very expensive priced cars when they were brand new and dropped their value a lot in just a few years, and the 2005+ Cadillac STS is all of that (it's value did drop A LOT!).

However I would definitely prefer a 2008?+ (The STS with the 6 speed transmission, and also what year does the 3.6 V6 get direct injection implemented into the V6 too?). I'd REALLY love a Northstar, but despite the STS weighing the same as the Aurora & Seville 4.6 (aurora and Seville achieve same fuel economy) and it having a 5 speed auto (2005-2007) vs a 4 speed auto, and having new features like a lot of new fresh redesigning for the 2004+/RWD Northstar engines (like Variable Valve Timing, Increased C/R, etc. And the new epa fuel economy estimates, the aurora has a 1 mpg higher rating on the highway.

But another thing I liked when they made the 2004+/RWD N* Redesign, they fixed pretty much most head gasket/HG bolt/HG thread issues that causes the head gaskets to leak (my dads was a certified GM technician at a caddy dealer, and he said he's never done a head gasket replacement on any 2004+/RWD Northstar V8, but the rear main oil seal he has had to replace/fix (they did do a better job when they made that special gasket that squeezes on the rear main) so it isn't nearly as much a common problem as it is on pre 2004 Northstar & Especially Pre 2000 Northstars. But as long as the Headgasket/HG bolt & thread issue is 98% fixed i'm ecstatic about that, because even if a rear main seal would go their tough to replace but it's no replacing both head gasket jobs and then doing inserts on top of it! But as I said before the Aurora V8 I have nows Fuel Economy is (by the new EPA rating which is the only rating the STS csn be compared to because they only used this new rating for the STS years.

I'd love to have a Northstar, but i've been checking out Fuel Economy stats between the 3.6 DI V6 & the N* 4.6 V8, but the pre 2008 (NON Direct Injected 3.6 V6) actually gets LESS miles to the gallon according to the NEW EPA Fuel MPG Economy ratings the pre 2008 (Non Direct-Injected 3.6 V6 & 5 speed automatic, unlike the 2008+ have 6 speeds) obtains 16 mpg city/25 mpg highway & 19 mpg combined via 2008 EPA fuel economy ratings, however original non-epa factory/window sticker pre-2008 rating was 18 mpg city/27 mpg highway: 21 MPG combined mpg.

he pre 2008 years/5spd automatics with the Northstar 4.6 V8 is rated by the new EPA rating at 15 MPG City / 24 MPG Highway: Combined Driving is 18 MPG. The pre- EPA rating fuel economy rating system/available before 2008 for the V8 in 2005 is 17 mg city/26 mpg highway: cobined driving mpg is 20). But my point is unless your going to get a 2008+ STS with the base 3.6 DI V6, why the hell would you buy a V6 first off your short 65 horsepower AND your get 2 whole less miles per gallon on both city and highway driving (thats going by the new EPA fuel economy ratings

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Considering STS need some help/opnions

An AWD/RWD STS can be an expensive car to own when the maintenance issues show up, which they will. Be sure to have a sock full of spare cash ready to throw at it. Parts can be pricey and scarce even when purchased at the local salvage yard. The electronics can be more than daunting to even the most experienced factory trained mechanic let alone a DIYer. If you have to budget your car pennies and cannot afford to just walk away from it when the catastrophe hits, these cars are not for you. All that being said, I love mine and it's the most pleasurable car I have ever owned.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I love my STS. With the automatic entry/exit seat adjustments, I found the STS more convenient than most others I tested (even the DTS). I love the V8 power & AWD but you may not really need either.

The 2008 & up V6 is DI but ACC is only available with the V8. Try several differently equipped cars. They vary greatly and are not practical to upgrade.

I'd have to agree it's not a great choice for someone on a fixed income, but maybe you have other resources.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

You seem to put a lot of emphasis on the MPG's that you may or may not get. If you are concerned about your fuel economy, a large, heavy V8 luxury sedan may not be your best option. And as the others have said, make sure you have some cash on hand to fix things. Nothing on this car is cheap. There aren't too many DIY threads in here unfortunately. The majority of owners prefer to take the car to the dealer, which is the best approach as there are many computerized sensors that a ratchet just can't diagnose. I love having the V8 and the power on tap.

auroraandy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 N* (Dk. Toreador Red/Black Int)

Fixing things is really not an issue besides parts and the occassional yelling you hear a technican make when working on a car (my dad was a certified GM TECHNICAN from about 1980 til he quit the Cadillac Dealer in 2009 and opened his own shop), he's worked in just about every GM shop there is (pontiac,buick,olds,chevrolet & worked of late at the local caddy dealer) so he's had his experience with the Northstar as well as the 3.6DI&NON-DI, he's also worked at a ford dealership for around 4 or so years and for the one year was named to be one of the top 50th ford technicans in the ENTIRE USA for that year (pretty impressive, even though it wasn't for GM I don't know if GM calculates that and even if they did this was in the mid-late 90's when GM had LOTS of manufacturers where ford was just ford, lincoln & mercury and at that time mercury really had 2 cars the cougar and the wannabe crown vic, Lincolns maybe 1 or 2 popular models as well (like the mark & LS series) but really it was just FORD (nowhere near close to all of gms manufacturers and how many models each of the manufacturers put out, probably 5x as many lineup models than ford when including merc and linc.

And also already owning the 1st generation northstar (well pretty much have a 1g Aurora, same as the N* just smaller bore which in my eyes makes the engine a bit more durable in the long run because it's less moving weight/rotating mass (with the 4.6 pumping it's larger bore pistons which weigh more an putting more of an effort/burden on pretty much everything to a point but especially the lowerend like the rods & crankshaft , than what the 4.0's smaller bore pistons do, not too mention the thicker bore walls is atypical when companies decide to make an engine forced induction they usually destroke for bigger cylinder walls because of the added strength, even though the 4.0 has quite a bit of added weight, but maybe why shelby chose the l47 instead of the L37 or LD8 to modify for it's shelby series car.

However back on topic though having the aurora i've had my share of experience with the Aurora engine with almost 165k miles on her now since I bought it at just over 105k it's been a decent car reliability, but their are some near lemons out there i've seen on forums and in real life, but it's all in all I believe it's mainly how it was maintained but don't diagree some engines don't come out of the factory a ticking lemon to happen though! (but that amount is slim, especially since the assembly lines for cars are less personal and more robotic and follow duplicity alot more than when the assembly was mostly people things differed alot more from part to part.

I'm not really worried about gas mileage, but however do think the STS-4 Northstars MPG stinks vs the sts-4 with the 3.6 the awd barely affects the MPG, and another thing I couldnt believe was when the 3.6 were pre Direct Injection the northstars actually achieved 2 more mpg on city AND highway!! Then when they became direct injected their MPG became incredible when comparing them to pre-DI especially when the 6 speed became the tranny of choice!

Now have any of you considered the CTS, (I sometimes try too, but I love the N* so much it kind of gets it out of my head), what special features/options does say a 2007 STS have (Example like: HIDS, Moisture Sensing Wipers, Auto Detecting Cruise Control, Radar Automatic Highbeams, Auto-Angling headlights which angle themselves on corners, cooled/heated seats, navigation, what all kind of features the Driver Info Control Center can do). And i've also heard very good thing of the magneride and on the STS it's adjustable I hear?

I think if I choose the STS i'd def. go with the N* (especially pre 3.6 Direct Injection because they get less MPG's then the N*), as much as i'd like AWD for the extra weight/lessened performance and added fuel economy increases for the area i'm in which is Southern New Jersey (which if we see snow it's usually 6 inches), now we have had freak years but even then their may be one or two big storms with say 10-14 inches, but lately it barely snows at all so not worth it in my book. Especially since if I got that one package that includes the LSD it wouldn't be an option, and if someone could enlighten me on the NON-AWD N* V8 packages (i've heard the 1SG is the most superior package for the V8 STS RWD) what does this package include?? And what other packages are their and what do they include, as well as the most base STS V8 their is?

Also the only car i'd think about buying over the STS would be the 2005+ M35/M45.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

You can't trust the EPA estimates. If you get snow more than 3 times a year, get snow tires or the AWD. Don't get the AWD unless you need the AWD.

Test drive differently equipped STS before deciding on the options you want and then don't settle for something else.

----------

We love ours!

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

Quote Originally Posted by auroraandy View Post
    Fixing things is really not an issue besides parts and the occassional yelling you hear a technican make when working on a car (my dad was a certified GM TECHNICAN from about 1980 til he quit the Cadillac Dealer in 2009 and opened his own shop), he's worked in just about every GM shop there is (pontiac,buick,olds,chevrolet & worked of late at the local caddy dealer) so he's had his experience with the Northstar as well as the 3.6DI&NON-DI, he's also worked at a ford dealership for around 4 or so years and for the one year was named to be one of the top 50th ford technicans in the ENTIRE USA for that year (pretty impressive, even though it wasn't for GM I don't know if GM calculates that and even if they did this was in the mid-late 90's when GM had LOTS of manufacturers where ford was just ford, lincoln & mercury and at that time mercury really had 2 cars the cougar and the wannabe crown vic, Lincolns maybe 1 or 2 popular models as well (like the mark & LS series) but really it was just FORD (nowhere near close to all of gms manufacturers and how many models each of the manufacturers put out, probably 5x as many lineup models than ford when including merc and linc.

And also already owning the 1st generation northstar (well pretty much have a 1g Aurora, same as the N* just smaller bore which in my eyes makes the engine a bit more durable in the long run because it's less moving weight/rotating mass (with the 4.6 pumping it's larger bore pistons which weigh more an putting more of an effort/burden on pretty much everything to a point but especially the lowerend like the rods & crankshaft , than what the 4.0's smaller bore pistons do, not too mention the thicker bore walls is atypical when companies decide to make an engine forced induction they usually destroke for bigger cylinder walls because of the added strength, even though the 4.0 has quite a bit of added weight, but maybe why shelby chose the l47 instead of the L37 or LD8 to modify for it's shelby series car.

However back on topic though having the aurora i've had my share of experience with the Aurora engine with almost 165k miles on her now since I bought it at just over 105k it's been a decent car reliability, but their are some near lemons out there i've seen on forums and in real life, but it's all in all I believe it's mainly how it was maintained but don't diagree some engines don't come out of the factory a ticking lemon to happen though! (but that amount is slim, especially since the assembly lines for cars are less personal and more robotic and follow duplicity alot more than when the assembly was mostly people things differed alot more from part to part.

I'm not really worried about gas mileage, but however do think the STS-4 Northstars MPG stinks vs the sts-4 with the 3.6 the awd barely affects the MPG, and another thing I couldnt believe was when the 3.6 were pre Direct Injection the northstars actually achieved 2 more mpg on city AND highway!! Then when they became direct injected their MPG became incredible when comparing them to pre-DI especially when the 6 speed became the tranny of choice!

Now have any of you considered the CTS, (I sometimes try too, but I love the N* so much it kind of gets it out of my head), what special features/options does say a 2007 STS have (Example like: HIDS, Moisture Sensing Wipers, Auto Detecting Cruise Control, Radar Automatic Highbeams, Auto-Angling headlights which angle themselves on corners, cooled/heated seats, navigation, what all kind of features the Driver Info Control Center can do). And i've also heard very good thing of the magneride and on the STS it's adjustable I hear?

I think if I choose the STS i'd def. go with the N* (especially pre 3.6 Direct Injection because they get less MPG's then the N*), as much as i'd like AWD for the extra weight/lessened performance and added fuel economy increases for the area i'm in which is Southern New Jersey (which if we see snow it's usually 6 inches), now we have had freak years but even then their may be one or two big storms with say 10-14 inches, but lately it barely snows at all so not worth it in my book. Especially since if I got that one package that includes the LSD it wouldn't be an option, and if someone could enlighten me on the NON-AWD N* V8 packages (i've heard the 1SG is the most superior package for the V8 STS RWD) what does this package include?? And what other packages are their and what do they include, as well as the most base STS V8 their is?

Also the only car i'd think about buying over the STS would be the 2005+ M35/M45.
    I'm going to go on a limb and say that you probably have the highest average words per post of any member on this site...
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Funny. Now we just need to find who has the fewest. Different styles on here for sure.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS | 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

I've owned an Aurora 4.0, a N*, and currently a 3.6DI. Get the N*

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    Funny. Now we just need to find who has the fewest. Different styles on here for sure.
    OK, Danny

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Win.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    OK, Danny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.