just bought a 05 sts - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, just bought a 05 sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . ...
    BIGRED2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6 BASE MODEL

Re: just bought a 05 sts

I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . After 1 month and 1000 miles its now back at the shop of the dealer I bought it from with tranny problems . Thank god for a power train warranty , otherwise I would be very upset why I bought this car . It really is a sharp looking car , even though its looking sharp in the shop right now......lol . Good luck with yours . Sure wish I came on here first before buying it .

dannyquest is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 99,000 miles

BIGRED2011, What type of tranny problem does it has. Danny

is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED2011 View Post
    I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . After 1 month and 1000 miles its now back at the shop of the dealer I bought it from with tranny problems . Thank god for a power train warranty , otherwise I would be very upset why I bought this car . It really is a sharp looking car , even though its looking sharp in the shop right now......lol . Good luck with yours . Sure wish I came on here first before buying it .
    Why do you wish you came on here before buying your STS?

idintokic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

I have had mine now for a month and i have put 2 thousand miles on it and i havent had any issues with it

The dealers repair shop said that the tranny needed to be serviced . Supposedly working fine now , I get it back tomorrow . The tranny worked fine , then would slip and not go anywhere . I would turn off the car for a few minutes and restart it , then it would go for about 50 feet before slipping again . I've never had this problem with any car I've ever owned , very strange to say the least . No dipstick !! what 's up with that . Then there's the cracked wheel , hopefully that can be repaired . And you wonder why I wish I came on here before buying . At least I would have known what problems to expect and what to look for . Unfortunately , most cars today are only made to last a limited time if not well taken care of . Most people don't take care of their cars properly . I'll let you know tuesday how I made out . the car only has 112,000 miles on it .

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Low fluid?

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

There aren't too many transmission issues reported with the STS. Seemed to be some issues with the torque converter. I did have to replace my trans at 67K miles, but it seems to be a very rare case.

The transmission in the STS has been used by BMW since I believe 2000 in the 3 and 5 series. In those cars i have heard there being an issue with the trans going at around 120-150K miles. That may be the case for the STS also, but right now I think there are few members with that many miles on their STS.

The dealers repair shop said that the tranny needed to be serviced . Supposedly working fine now , I get it back tomorrow . The tranny worked fine , then would slip and not go anywhere . I would turn off the car for a few minutes and restart it , then it would go for about 50 feet before slipping again . I've never had this problem with any car I've ever owned , very strange to say the least . No dipstick !! what 's up with that . Then there's the cracked wheel , hopefully that can be repaired . And you wonder why I wish I came on here before buying . At least I would have known what problems to expect and what to look for . Unfortunately , most cars today are only made to last a limited time if not well taken care of . Most people don't take care of their cars properly . I'll let you know tuesday how I made out . the car only has 112,000 miles on it .
    Ah, I see now. Lets hope for the good news
    I found out about forums from my car I presently own, which is an 01 Lexus IS300. I found out a lot about my car through forums. Now I find myself looking for an STS, which I am doing a lot of research and figuring out what to expect and the cost to replace parts. Unfortunately, the STS support is small and limited. When I get one, it will have over 60k miles. Im a motor reliability kind of person, so, Im just sitting and waiting to hear more reviews about cars that reach 80-120k miles and figure out what I want.

It's good to see all the common problems along with different repair options in the many posts in the forums . You know the manufacturers and dealers will help you , but its usually on your dime . Got the car back last night , seems to be fine . The dealers repair shop said the tranny fluid life percentage read 0% , which probably shut down the tranny intermittently until it was serviced . I know the DIC shows the motor oil life percentage , maybe the computer monitors the tranny fluid as well . I personally have never heard of anything like this , but you learn something new everyday . They also replaced one coil pack that was causing a miss in the engine . All covered under their used car warranty , happily didn't cost me anything but a little aggravation .

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    I haven't heard of a tranny fluid life monitor. Anyone with a TechII able to chime in? Seems a little odd that if it does exist that it would stop the car from driving. I don't believe the OLM stops you from starting the car if it gets too low. But I've never had the OLM down to 0 either.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57
    I haven't heard of a tranny fluid life monitor. Anyone with a TechII able to chime in? Seems a little odd that if it does exist that it would stop the car from driving. I don't believe the OLM stops you from starting the car if it gets too low. But I've never had the OLM down to 0 either.
    My 04 CTS had a trans fluid life monitor.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The dealers repair shop said the tranny fluid life percentage read 0% , which probably shut down the tranny intermittently until it was serviced .
    If this is a 2005 & up STS, find a different dealer after your warranty is up. They are feeding you fiction. If they lie now, you can't trust them.

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

SRX first gen also has the trans fluid life monitor.

Did u buy her at a caddy dealer?

josephdav01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I've had my 05 sts since Oct 2009. I have put over 50,000 miles on mine with no major issues. I have drove it to New Orleans three time from San Antonio TX. I've had to make minor regulatory maintenance updates. 2 set of tires. New spark plugs. New brakes and rotors, which I changed myself, it was very easy. Now I need new shocks. I love this car and the engine is really strong. The car has taken care of me and I love taking care of the car. Oh, mines is a 05 sts, v8 Northstar awd.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.