just bought a 05 sts - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, just bought a 05 sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . ...
    BIGRED2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6 BASE MODEL

Re: just bought a 05 sts

I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . After 1 month and 1000 miles its now back at the shop of the dealer I bought it from with tranny problems . Thank god for a power train warranty , otherwise I would be very upset why I bought this car . It really is a sharp looking car , even though its looking sharp in the shop right now......lol . Good luck with yours . Sure wish I came on here first before buying it .

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

BIGRED2011, What type of tranny problem does it has. Danny

is3_ftw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Soon

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED2011 View Post
    I also just bought an 05 sts , in fact it looks identical to yours , except the grill . After 1 month and 1000 miles its now back at the shop of the dealer I bought it from with tranny problems . Thank god for a power train warranty , otherwise I would be very upset why I bought this car . It really is a sharp looking car , even though its looking sharp in the shop right now......lol . Good luck with yours . Sure wish I came on here first before buying it .
    Why do you wish you came on here before buying your STS?

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

idintokic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

I have had mine now for a month and i have put 2 thousand miles on it and i havent had any issues with it

The dealers repair shop said that the tranny needed to be serviced . Supposedly working fine now , I get it back tomorrow . The tranny worked fine , then would slip and not go anywhere . I would turn off the car for a few minutes and restart it , then it would go for about 50 feet before slipping again . I've never had this problem with any car I've ever owned , very strange to say the least . No dipstick !! what 's up with that . Then there's the cracked wheel , hopefully that can be repaired . And you wonder why I wish I came on here before buying . At least I would have known what problems to expect and what to look for . Unfortunately , most cars today are only made to last a limited time if not well taken care of . Most people don't take care of their cars properly . I'll let you know tuesday how I made out . the car only has 112,000 miles on it .

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Low fluid?

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

There aren't too many transmission issues reported with the STS. Seemed to be some issues with the torque converter. I did have to replace my trans at 67K miles, but it seems to be a very rare case.

The transmission in the STS has been used by BMW since I believe 2000 in the 3 and 5 series. In those cars i have heard there being an issue with the trans going at around 120-150K miles. That may be the case for the STS also, but right now I think there are few members with that many miles on their STS.

The dealers repair shop said that the tranny needed to be serviced . Supposedly working fine now , I get it back tomorrow . The tranny worked fine , then would slip and not go anywhere . I would turn off the car for a few minutes and restart it , then it would go for about 50 feet before slipping again . I've never had this problem with any car I've ever owned , very strange to say the least . No dipstick !! what 's up with that . Then there's the cracked wheel , hopefully that can be repaired . And you wonder why I wish I came on here before buying . At least I would have known what problems to expect and what to look for . Unfortunately , most cars today are only made to last a limited time if not well taken care of . Most people don't take care of their cars properly . I'll let you know tuesday how I made out . the car only has 112,000 miles on it .
    Ah, I see now. Lets hope for the good news
    I found out about forums from my car I presently own, which is an 01 Lexus IS300. I found out a lot about my car through forums. Now I find myself looking for an STS, which I am doing a lot of research and figuring out what to expect and the cost to replace parts. Unfortunately, the STS support is small and limited. When I get one, it will have over 60k miles. Im a motor reliability kind of person, so, Im just sitting and waiting to hear more reviews about cars that reach 80-120k miles and figure out what I want.

It's good to see all the common problems along with different repair options in the many posts in the forums . You know the manufacturers and dealers will help you , but its usually on your dime . Got the car back last night , seems to be fine . The dealers repair shop said the tranny fluid life percentage read 0% , which probably shut down the tranny intermittently until it was serviced . I know the DIC shows the motor oil life percentage , maybe the computer monitors the tranny fluid as well . I personally have never heard of anything like this , but you learn something new everyday . They also replaced one coil pack that was causing a miss in the engine . All covered under their used car warranty , happily didn't cost me anything but a little aggravation .

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    I haven't heard of a tranny fluid life monitor. Anyone with a TechII able to chime in? Seems a little odd that if it does exist that it would stop the car from driving. I don't believe the OLM stops you from starting the car if it gets too low. But I've never had the OLM down to 0 either.

curtc is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57
    I haven't heard of a tranny fluid life monitor. Anyone with a TechII able to chime in? Seems a little odd that if it does exist that it would stop the car from driving. I don't believe the OLM stops you from starting the car if it gets too low. But I've never had the OLM down to 0 either.
    My 04 CTS had a trans fluid life monitor.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The dealers repair shop said the tranny fluid life percentage read 0% , which probably shut down the tranny intermittently until it was serviced .
    If this is a 2005 & up STS, find a different dealer after your warranty is up. They are feeding you fiction. If they lie now, you can't trust them.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

SRX first gen also has the trans fluid life monitor.

Did u buy her at a caddy dealer?

josephdav01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I've had my 05 sts since Oct 2009. I have put over 50,000 miles on mine with no major issues. I have drove it to New Orleans three time from San Antonio TX. I've had to make minor regulatory maintenance updates. 2 set of tires. New spark plugs. New brakes and rotors, which I changed myself, it was very easy. Now I need new shocks. I love this car and the engine is really strong. The car has taken care of me and I love taking care of the car. Oh, mines is a 05 sts, v8 Northstar awd.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.