headlights interchangable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By ddalder
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, headlights interchangable? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; looking into buying a new passengers side headlight because mine gets moisture in it evey once and a while and ...
    scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

headlights interchangable?

looking into buying a new passengers side headlight because mine gets moisture in it evey once and a while and found one on ebay, but was wondering if a light that was not equiped with hids interchangable on a car with hids, i dont see why not ill just use my ballest and such. anyone done this before or is something different?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Re: headlights interchangable?

I'm fairly certain that you'll find the internal structure is different.
    EChas3 and EChas3 like this.

okay thanks all i wanted to know!

cadillacst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac sts

Okay so I understand the Halogen is different from the inside compared to HID/XENON. But what about from the outside? Meaning can scott9001 just buy HID/XENON headlight and put on his car?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    An HID bulb is totally different from an incandescent bulb, both internally, externally, and how it mounts.

you can buy a universal hid kit to mount int a normal headlight tho.

I question this practice though. I'm no expert on HID's, but my understanding is that reflectors and other components change how light is projected. The light source positioning, including filament orientation (in halogen bulbs) are all engineered into the housing to ensure a proper light pattern. These aren't just about projecting light in a "generally" forward direction. I'm suspect of many aftermarket products and whether they really provide what is "technically" required.

Installing HIDs in a reflector type housing that was not originally designed for them, not only causes glare to everyone around you, but is illegal.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Members have reported good results despite such concerns. Opinions vary.

Yes, however member opinions on performance are less than scientific. There are clear reasons (glare already mentioned as one of them) as to why these are engineered as they are. If this was only about overall forward projected light ("performance"), there would be no need for different assemblies in left hand rule of the road versus right hand rule of the road.

And opinions aside, again, it's illegal.

ottawagta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

I changed them over. The outer housing and the inner plastic reflector had the same part/cast #s stamped on them ( I made sure of that). I had to change over the wiring harness, the mounts that hold the bulbs, and a little chunk of metal that was visible once the mount (upper if I recall corrrectly) was off (it differs between the two styles). If you take them apart side by side you will see what needs to be changed over. It was the only way I was able to get a replacement headlight when I bought the car (from a dealer). There is no difference in light pattern or projection between the factory assembled one and the converted one when driving or looking at my car head on.

I sealed the grey access doors with silicone, as well as along the edges of the light where the lens and backing join. No water intrusion yet.

cadillacst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac sts

ottawagta .... did you change a normal halogen assembly with a HID assembly ? or did you just change the bulb?

ottawagta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS

Cadillacst, a story for you...

The car I bought has factory HID. I bought my car from a dealer on a trip, 500km from home over a weekend and wanted to take it home Monday. That didn't give them enough time to order and replace the water logged HID headlight. They told me the remaining warranty would cover it, take it to my local dealer. Local dealer said "No Way".

After many days of contact with the dealer I purchased the car from, they said they would get another headlight in for me, Which I was able to pick up, as I was going past them again (by chance).

When I got the original headlight out, and then compared them, they had given me a halogen one. I was sick and tired of dealing with them, and the prospect of getting another HID headlamp was slim to none, so I carefully looked over the two headlights and realized the outer lense and body, as well as the inner reflectors were the same cast/part#'s. From there, I went ahead and swapped the parts.

I will not go through that kind of hassle again....

----------

And no one was more surpised than I was that the bulb and water soaked ballast still worked!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.