2005 STS radio wiring guide for sat radio.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS radio wiring guide for sat radio. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. I desperately need a wiring guide on my 2005 STS radio. I need to know colors for the ...
    ZenBearSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6 3.6

2005 STS radio wiring guide for sat radio.

Hi all.
    I desperately need a wiring guide on my 2005 STS radio. I need to know colors for the wires used for the sat radio. I am trying to hard wire an aux input for my MP3 player but just can't find anything to guide me as to which wires to cut. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2005 STS radio wiring guide for sat radio.

There is no line level input to the radio for XM. It's a digital interface from the module in the trunk. Perhaps a member with the shop manual can provide the connector pin-out diagram to prove it to you.

I assume you don't want to use an FM modulator. I don't blame you but they do work. I'm not sure if anyone makes an add-in module for the base radio. I'd check Pacific Accessories Corporation.

I use their uPAC-STS with my Nav/radio. It pirates the digital XM interface and allows rudementary control through the tuning knob and displays on the Nav screen. Ludacrisvp has the newer module.

Good luck!

Great. The more I research the more it looks like ill have to use a modulator. Any cons to installing an aftermarket stereo? I figure that route would loose some of the cars programmable functionality. Is it severe? Or is this a good option?

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

I'm not sure where where the digital audio output information came from in the past, but this is incorrect. The SDAR (S-Band Digital Audio Receiver) converts the signal to an analog audio signal internally and this is what is sent to the radio.

On the back of the radio, you will have 16 cavity BLACK connector. Pin 1 (Light Green w/White stripe) is LEFT audio signal, Pin 2 (Light Blue w/White stripe) is RIGHT audio signal, Pin 9 (Gray w/Black stripe) is audio common and Pin 10 is a bare wire used for the drain (or shield).

So DD, ZenBear could use pins 1 (L), 2 (R) & 9 (Common) for audio-in on the XM setting?

I was sure a digital add-in module was required to tap XM.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

Should be able to. On the STS, this audio input is shared between the SDAR and TV module (for export vehicles so equipped). I think in this application, as long as the input is properly coupled with the output of whatever is being connected, and the signal level is correct, there shouldn't be a problem. In the scenario ZenBear is proposing, the XM will be disabled. As far as the radio is concerned, it will not have any control over the device being attached. It will continue to scroll XM channels up and down as selected because it won't know it isn't controlling the SDAR, but what plays will be whatever audio is coming out of the attached device. Some of the interfaces (if I'm not mistaken) will allow the radio to control the attached device. This is a cheap and dirty way to attach only the audio signal.

This is all great info guys. I will take it into consideration. I am also proposing to install an after market touchscreen stereo in ace of the stock one with the options I am looking for. My main concern is will this limit the cars memory controlled accessories? Is there an aftermarket 'brain' I can get to keep the cars full functionality?

Members have been known to mount the OEM radio in the trunk. I think it's only needed to change settings.

DBB
    DBB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Members have been known to mount the OEM radio in the trunk. I think it's only needed to change settings.
    I saw within the forum where this was being done to older 90's Cadillacs. Will mounting the oem radio in the trunk allow for an aftermarket radio to keep all oem functionality?

Yep! Some just swap it back or connect it in to change settings (they are stored in a body module but changed through the radio).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.