Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By BaTu
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    jkharnage is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS (4.6 L) and just got a code P0340. What concerns me is it definition “Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)”. First, should I replace the sensor and wait to see if the code comes up again or do I need to check the continuity of the circuit(s)? Second, what’s the location of Bank 1 on this particular engine? I know these sensors are inexpensive and I hope to replace it myself to save some money. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Re: Code P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor

Chances are, there is nothing wrong with the CPS itself (maybe... )

You have 4 of these, as I remember when I got recurring CPS codes, and I chased them one-at-a-time for the first couple, then redid all 4 and haven't see it come back in Years. What I would do is to simply unplug/plug them in & out a few times (to "clean" the pins) then finally grease the connector the last time and see if you continue to have trouble with this. If the Same one comes back up, then maybe you should replace that one...

Okay. Whick of the four sensors is Bank 1?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Bank 1 (on all engines) is the right bank.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Bank 1 (on all engines) is the right bank.

How would a Transverse Engine have a right side?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Because a transverse engine still has a front (pulley side) and a back (flywheel/driveplate side).

Now there's two sensors on the right and left side of the 4.6L. Is this sensor (Bank 1) the inner or outer sensor on the right side? I just want to make sure I'm checking (possible replacement) the correct sensor if needed.

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
    it is upper sensor (close to the center)at passenger side of the car

I replaced one of theses sensors two years ago and that happens to be the same sensor (right side upper sensor, close to the center). I cleaned all of the connections, erased the code, and put things back together (easy). Does anybody have a diagram explaining the locations / bank numbers for these particular sensors on the 4.6L engines? I searched through the Cadillac forum but I only came across a thread for the 3.6 L STS explaining theses sensors and bank numbers.

targetSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG

7 8
    5 6
    3 4
    1 2

Front of car
    |
    V

• DTC P0340 Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 1

bank 1 it's where cylinder 1 located
    Intake Camshaft located upper side, exhaust CMP - lower

so Your problem is at pass side upper camshaft
    ----------
    The intake camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a hall integrated circuit (IC) type sensor that works in conjunction with an 8-tooth reluctor wheel used to determine the position of the intake camshaft. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a 12-volt pull up voltage on the CMP sensor signal circuit. As the teeth on the reluctor wheel passes the CMP sensor, it sends a digital signal which is an image of the reluctor wheel to the ECM. The ECM processes this information to determine the exact position of the camshafts, and to determine the optimum ignition and injection points of the engine. The CMP sensor wiring consists of a 12-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. If the ECM cannot see a change in the intake CMP sensor signal, DTC P0340 or P0345 will set.
    ---------------------------
    • The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:

- Damage to the camshaft reluctor wheel

- Damage to the CMP sensor

- The sensor coming in contact with the reluctor wheel

- Foreign material passing between the sensor and the reluctor wheel

I played it safe and have a new sensor on order. It should be here in a couple of days. I have one other concern and I know its way out there but has anyone had a problem with camshaft end play on the 4.6 liter engines. I came across a technical bulliten ( for the 3.6 liter engines in the STS's) and it mentions a false reading for the camshaft postion sensor due to the camshaft havine end play and the camshaft sprocket moves away from the sensor thus not registering its signal. A bit extreme for me to mention this but I sometimes think of the worse case scenerio. Personnally it would just be my luck for something like this to happen to me.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

I had this same issue and bought sensor and put it on. Same code popped up and i said lets clean the oil out and see what happens. Boom no more codes and I even put old sensor back in to check just like Batu did. Funny thing is my car sounded different when the issue started, gas mpg was low and felt sluggish. I fixed this and tightened up intake bolts and lord have mercy the tires cant hold

caddyman72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1974 Eldorodo Convt. (58,000 miles) 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by jkharnage View Post
    I have a 2005 Cadillac STS (4.6 L) and just got a code P0340. What concerns me is it definition “Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)”. First, should I replace the sensor and wait to see if the code comes up again or do I need to check the continuity of the circuit(s)? Second, what’s the location of Bank 1 on this particular engine? I know these sensors are inexpensive and I hope to replace it myself to save some money. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Hello, I have a 2005 STS with a 6 cylinder engine. That bulliten about play in the camshaft is TRUE. I was driving down the street one day and my car just shut down. It would not restart. I was in front a a Autozone store, they brought out their code reader and said it was a cam sensor. So they pushed me into their lot, and I went in and bought one. I opened my hood and low and behold, theres four of them. I just called the dealership and let them fix it. They checked it out and said it was a cam sensor. Later they called me and told me forget the sensor, I need a complete engine. I went down and looked at it. It completely destroyed theright side of the engine. You better check it out!!! They showed me the sensor that caused this, and it was completely ground down from the movement of the camshaft.

Charles Warren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v8 and 2003 cts 3.2

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...088&cc=1432044 are talking about these or the other pieces. Ones a phaser and the other is whatever it is. I will admit if you remove pigtails and have oil in them just use compressed air and spray some elec contact cleaner and air it out again and should fix your issues

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.