Cadillac Owners Forum banner

05 STS Remote start not working??

54K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  curtc 
#1 ·
Trying to get remote start to work on my 05 sts the remote has a 1 on the back I know some said if its 3/4 it won't work. I hit lock twice and hold the start button on remote and orange front lights flash but no startup. Any help much appreciated. Also how can I make it beep when I lock the doors twice I like that feature

#31 ·
The fob's number has no real meaning. Your car can match up to four fobs and one of yours may be a replacement that is not matched to the car as one of the first two. Only those two can remote start your car.

Anything else will not be inexpensive to repair.

Good luck.

#32 ·
Yeah, I would think it has to do with the fob's and their respective settings in the system. Make sure you are saving the setting for enabling the remote start, it has to be something easy, just not real obvious...keep trying!

#36 ·
Ok I'm convinced it's a car battery issue if I turn the car on and check the battery it's at 12volts and charges up to 14 quickly. If I turn the car off then the remote start will work. So I guess the battery drains slowly over a few days and doesn't have enough power to start it up

#37 ·
:yeah: that is pretty much how mine works too...random cold starts won't work on the first attempt, but will on the 2nd typically...I'll be getting a new battery soon.

#38 ·
Yeah the STS is REALLY REALLY picky about its battery. 8 years on a 5yr? Battery is definitely on borrowed time. Consider yourself lucky it even starts. When mine died in my DTS there was zero warning just one day it wouldn't even try to turn over and a truck couldn't jump it. New battery put in and it started without any effort.

#41 ·
Service manual says it needs to be 690 CCA (cold cranking amps), model number is 101-6YR, should provide 63 A/H (Amp hours) and a 110 minute reserve capacity.

If you feel there might be parasitic draw:

Check and record the current reading.
Note the battery reserve capacity, amp hour rating. Refer to Battery Usage.
Divide the reserve capacity by 4, amp hour rating by 2.4.
Compare this to the multimeter milliampere reading taken in the previous step. The parasitic current drain should not exceed this number.
Example: If a battery has a reserve capacity of 100 minutes , (60 A/H) the current drain should not exceed 25 mA .

#44 ·
I've got an '06 STS with about 70k miles, battery in FOB and Car are both fairly new, but that's probably not the issue. I've got the amber radio setup. I go into the settings and the "remote startup" is not checked. I go into the sub-menus, uncheck everything, re-check everything, and press the back button. Everything EXCEPT "remote startup" is checked. I then look at the sub-menu's again....everything is still checked. Oh, and no..no check-engine light.

#47 ·
Julia369, Please post the year and model of your Cadillac. Thanks.

The valet switch controls the fuel fill door, not the ability to put gas in the tank. Some Cadillacs have had trouble with clogged fuel tank vents or the EVAP vent system causing premature pump shutoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.