Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 sts 3.6 l di{ reduced engine power}

16K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  curtc 
#1 ·
Good day all cady owners,
I am a new owner of a very low mileage hardly used sts 3.6 l di 2008 model with just over 10k miles.
i have had this car for 3 months and it drives like magic, i was surprised with the 6 cyl performance as i used to have sts northstar 95 model years ago. any way today i got REDUCED ENGINE POWER ? HELP PLS THE CAR HAS NO WARRANTY.

#2 ·
The first thing to do is check trouble codes. If you can't limp the thing to AutoZone where they'll check the codes for free you can buy a cheap CAN enabled code reader that will read the engine codes at almost any parts store or Walmart.

#7 ·
If there is a difference between commanded throttle position and actual position it will go to reduced power mode. My CTS used to do it all the time when -40F weather would hit. All I had to do to clear it was shut it off and restart it.

#9 ·
My advice is to pamper the V6. Take no chances. If your insurance doesn't have towing, add it.

Get a good code reader if you go that route. These cars have body & suspension codes as well as engine. I'd just have it flat-bedded to a delaer. Once at a dealer, they can validate the valve timing and the chain/guide wear. If that passes muster and your oil rings are OK, you're cool.

Enjoy the ride!

#10 ·
Wow , this is a cool forum , i didnt think that i would get so many useful replays that quick.
Actually the car is not salvage it is ammaculate, but been laying for a long time , it was my late aunti car which she bought it new in 2008 but unfortunatly died 4 months later, and i just took the car few months ago and put nearly 6k enjoyable miles on it, the tyres are original with 2 different sizes back and front 18 rims (make noises when first drive the car for few minutes).
the warranty expired last august (4 years or 60k KM) i live in BAHRAIN so the warranty is less here unless you buy extended warranty on purchase day.
I had Jeep grand cherokee overland hemi engine which i bought it second hand 3 years ago and bought jeep extended warranty till 100k km, the car was 2007.
but as i said cady dont offer that.

sorry to make it long, i took the car to the dealer and i will keep you posted with the outcome.
bytheway i used to be a member of this forum when i had the monster 95 northstar sts 6 or 7 yrs ago and it was very useful and enjoyable (i miss my 95 sts).

----------

and yes it did have the service light on

#12 ·
good day all,
The agent informed me today, it looks like the fuel pump failed and needs replaced + the fuel pump sensor+fuel lines+6 injectors where they have to remove the
manifold to replace them (direct injection) plus other few gaskets and sensors.
the agent doesnt know why this happened at this low mileage.
i think since the car was laying for a long time all the dirt and dust etc. blocked all the fuel systems.
ithe agent will inform me about the cost which thwy thing will be heavy $$4,000 approximate, most of it is labour cost.

usually when fuel pump fails it gives you a warning by cutting and jettering etc, and not suddenly.

#16 ·
One thing to keep in mind... Dealer Service Departments are evaluated on many factors but one of those is repairing a complaint with just one visit. (Just like hospitals are discouraged from re-admitting patients.) Cost may secondary to them.

If they replace all the things listed, what's left to be defectrive?

#17 ·
I suggested to the agent to replace the fuel pump+sensor+filter , but they would only replace the full system and would consider
a discount with a final bill of just under $$ 3,000. Again i think the job and parts are worth the money.
I remember last year i have paid large amount to replace rotors and brakes and transmission oil service on my wifes 2009 VW passat which cost me near that
so i will go a head nd keep u updated with the caddy.

#19 ·
Hi everybody, car got the fuel system replaced it drives v good, now am looking for some advise on tyres, two sizes make little choice ,
anybody with good experience as prices range between $600- $2000 and oe tyres not cheap to.?? i want all season, road and highway,
has to be reliable and long last.

#20 ·
belushi said:
Hi everybody, car got the fuel system replaced it drives v good, now am looking for some advise on tyres, two sizes make little choice ,
anybody with good experience as prices range between $600- $2000 and oe tyres not cheap to.?? i want all season, road and highway,
has to be reliable and long last.
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Look them up, plenty of reviews to help you make an informed decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.