Hate to introduce myself like this!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Hate to introduce myself like this! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Having previously owned a Lincoln LS and being involved with lincolnvscadillac.com I was excited to find a forum for my ...
    5TA1NER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Hate to introduce myself like this!

Having previously owned a Lincoln LS and being involved with cadillacowners.com I was excited to find a forum for my 2006 STS. Well... I need help already. I bought this car 4 weeks ago with 50,000 miles on it. This thing is great inside and out except for the oil consumption issue. Explained this issue to the dealer and they have offered me one of 3 options.

1. Replace current motor with a used one.
    2. Rebuild the current motor with upgraded parts.
    3. Buy back the car.

I am most likely interested in option 2 depending on how much the buy back offer is. I am assuming it will be for what I owe? (Not sure on this one, anyone ever had a dealer buy back a car?) I am interested to know what you would do in this situation. Is there anything else I should be wary of on this car? Still trying to learn as fast as I can but wasn't hoping for this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: Hate to introduce myself like this!

Welcome back! If the car is a V6, I would take the buy back and get a NorthStar car...no less than a 1SF optioned one with adaptive cruise.

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

DTA1NER, Does your car have a V-6, if so new pistons rings will do, Just like my car. Some do have a problem with the torque converter, that will be $1,000. Danny

Yeah, it is a V6. I wouldn't mind the buy back. I did want a V8 since that's what my Lincoln.

You will LOVE the NorthStar...seriously.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

^^^ If you've got a V6 with a good timing chain & guides, that's worth more than a little oil.

I am not sure what would be included with the engine rebuild, still trying to find that out, however I would imagine the kit comes with timing chain and guides especially since it needs to be taken off with the crank.

The V8 aside, if you find a car with the adaptive cruise and heads up display, you reach a whole new level of cool. I especially enjoy putting the transmission in manual mode, shifting and being treated to a full multi-color tachometer and gear indicator on the windshield in front of me

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD

I would chose to have the dealer buy the car back. But I'm partial to the Northstar myself
    chazglenn3 and chazglenn3 like this.

aliskerov is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

I suggest a buy-back, unless they try to give you less then what you paid. V8 is the way to go, as the V6s seem to have some kinks in the timing belt design and oil consumption issues. If anything else goes wrong, you may regret not taking the offer.
    chazglenn3 and chazglenn3 like this.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I've had two STS's ('06 and '11); neither have burned oil (noticeably between oil changes), both had all the power I needed. For me I would get the rebuild then make sure that the rebuilt engine got broken in correctly; I'm thinking that the engines that are burning oil were too gently broken in and never got the rings burnished properly (in the first place). At least that's my opinion on this issue; opinions may vary, so you'll need to make the final call based on your like of your current vehicle and what your wants include. Best of luck (in your decision).

1crock is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

If you're happy with the car, other than the oil consumption, I'd have them do the rebuild but only after getting in writing exactly what that includes. A properly rebuilt/remanufactured engine will take care of any problems you might otherwise experience.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

5TA1NER, I'm so sorry to hear you've been having these concerns so shortly after you purchased your STS! As a Customer Service representative, I can't provide much in the way of DIY advice; however, I would certainly be happy to document any feedback you share with me and contact your dealer on your behalf to follow up on concerns. Please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

At what rate is she consuming oil?

2.5 quarts in 2,000 miles. i should finally be getting the buy back quote tomorrow. Only problem with a buy back is that the dealer is a chevy dealer so their options of what is available outside of used crap is pretty bad. Great dealer they just don't usually get a lot of cadillacs. I am hoping that they would go to an auction to find what i want. we will see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.