Another "whats that noise" question with video
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Another "whats that noise" question with video in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So here's a video of the noise I keep hearing every time I step on the gas. First off, vehicle ...
    Four Fins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 Sedan, 06 STS

Another "whats that noise" question with video

So here's a video of the noise I keep hearing every time I step on the gas. First off, vehicle is a 06 STS v6. It usually only happens at about 2000 rpms and doesnt matter if its cold, warm, or hot. If I gently push on the pedal you can't hear it, it only wants to show up under stress (going up a hill, heavier acceleration). I've tried a tank of top tier fuel and I've also replaced the purge valve thinking that was it but no luck. It sounds like its coming from the back of the engine towards the top but can't tell for sure because it only happens while driving. I can't replicate the noise at a stop while in park, neutral or drive. Anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbaKQ...ature=youtu.be

----------

Oh, and in the video you can hear it kick in especially right around the 28-30 second mark. Sounds like a marble in a tin can.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Another "whats that noise" question with video

I guess this doesnt sound familiar to anybody?

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Not 100% sure if its the same noise (hard to hear in the video) as I have.
    To me it sounds like heat shield around the exhaust near where the exhaust comes down by the ground for the first time.
    Not sure how to explain it better than that. When this happens can you open the window or maybe even the door to see if you can better locate it?
    Mine seems to want to make noise if i coast around 28-32mph then lightly accel (around 1800-2100rpm).
    (keep in mind i have v8 awd though and you have a v6 rwd?)

No idea what bad timing chains sound like though so who knows you could be dealing with that.

Yeah, I guess it could be a heat shield. It's harder to hear with the window open and yes its a v6 rwd. I would imagine that with the timing chains going bad you could hear it even before 2000 rpm but I could be wrong. It's just weird that I can cruise on the freeway going 60 and you wont hear it at all but once you step on it or even mid-throttle you can hear it. Or I could be going 25 and mid-throttle and its the same sound at the same rpm.

dwarren88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    So is it the timing chain going bad that creates the ticking sound?

Thats the question I need the answer too. I hope its something else thats not as serious.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.