I got a question about fog lights
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, I got a question about fog lights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; What bulb does it take an or can I get a kit to match the HIDs? I like to ride ...
  1. #1
    army_kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36

    I got a question about fog lights

    What bulb does it take an or can I get a kit to match the HIDs? I like to ride around with my fog lights on and the passenger side one went out this morning.. Any advice helps

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    20,949
    DO NOT put HIDs in the fog light assemblies. They're designed to disperse the light from a relatively low output, incandescent bulb, at a wide angle. Installing HIDs will just cause a lot of glare for anyone driving near you.

    Not sure on bulb number. Check your owners manual, or look on the bulb itself. You can get a slightly brighter incandescent bulb, that comes very close to factory HID color temperature.

  4. #3
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    The lamp is the H3-55w.
    If you want HIDs you will need to retrofit a different projector into the fog housing, the projector is not designed for HIDs nor long enough for any lamp to use in it that will be safe.
    Might look into retrofitting the morimoto mini matchbox projector or the morimoto mini h1.



  5. #4
    army_kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thanks guys.. I think I'm just going to stick with the regular bulb

  6. #5
    DarkMingBlueSTS's Avatar
    DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    497
    I have hid fogs, I didn't replace anything but the bulb and added the ballasts for them...maybe I have them angled down a lot but they are not blinding anyone...6000k 35w which match my low beams....to me they look great....not too blue and not too white

  7. #6
    army_kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMingBlueSTS
    I have hid fogs, I didn't replace anything but the bulb and added the ballasts for them...maybe I have them angled down a lot but they are not blinding anyone...6000k 35w which match my low beams....to me they look great....not too blue and not too white
    From where?

  8. #7
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    Many places offer H3C HID lamps for sale, we are just suggesting that you do not use them.
    There are 2 versions of H3C HID lamps out there, the one with the green arrow (not sure where to get them) matches the filament placement of the H3-55w halogen lamp and would likely work OK in the fog light, however I can imagine they are likely very fragile in comparison to the other H3C HID lamp (red X). The second lamp which is more like a normal HID lamp places the light source too far inside of the fog light thereby reducing the output significantly.


  9. #8
    army_kid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    I get you.. I think I'm just going to stick with oem bulbs for now.

  10. #9
    Hoosier24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    47

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    Would silverstars be a little better match than OEM? I use the automatic brights feature so i seldom have the fogs on

  11. #10
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    I had them in mine, they both burned out in less than 2 months (I did not touch the lamps either, the glass fractured at the base of each lamp causing them to go out which also happened to the previous lamps in the car and possibly the most recent set that the dealer just replaced)... mind you I have my fogs on anytime the parking lights are on (not when DRL is on) and I have overrode them so they stay on during the autohighs. But color wise, yes they were a little closer but not worth the money.

  12. #11
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    20,949
    PIAA Intense White bulbs (or Xtreme White if you want a slightly blue light) last longer.

  13. #12
    1BadCadSTS's Avatar
    1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp
    I had them in mine, they both burned out in less than 2 months (I did not touch the lamps either, the glass fractured at the base of each lamp causing them to go out which also happened to the previous lamps in the car and possibly the most recent set that the dealer just replaced)... mind you I have my fogs on anytime the parking lights are on (not when DRL is on) and I have overrode them so they stay on during the autohighs. But color wise, yes they were a little closer but not worth the money.
    How did you get your fogs to stay on with highs?

  14. #13
    Ludacrisvp's Avatar
    Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    St Michael, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,212
    May be frowned upon but basically a jumper triggering the fogs on whenever the parking lights are on in the relay center under the hood. Which works out fine for me since if you turn on fogs the parking lights come on anyways and anytime my headlights are on I want to have the fogs on and since the parking lights stay on during high beams its all good. Added benefit is that fogs are on during remote start now.
    In my Deville I did this with a couple of diodes instead jumping between the high low and fog relays. I chose parking lamp this time as the headlight relay wasn't doing it for me in the STS.

  15. #14
    scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    354

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    i have a h3 hid in my fogs no problems at all bought them at vvme.com

  16. #15
    Hoosier24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    47

    Re: I got a question about fog lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    May be frowned upon but basically a jumper triggering the fogs on whenever the parking lights are on in the relay center under the hood. Which works out fine for me since if you turn on fogs the parking lights come on anyways and anytime my headlights are on I want to have the fogs on and since the parking lights stay on during high beams its all good. Added benefit is that fogs are on during remote start now.
    In my Deville I did this with a couple of diodes instead jumping between the high low and fog relays. I chose parking lamp this time as the headlight relay wasn't doing it for me in the STS.
    This intrigues me, got a pic?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting