Nav updata issues need some help or advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Nav updata issues need some help or advice! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey all! So I have an 07 N* with the Bose 5.1 Nav Unit. Since I've owned the car I've ...
    Romors86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Diamond White Luxury Sport STS V8

Nav updata issues need some help or advice!

Hey all! So I have an 07 N* with the Bose 5.1 Nav Unit. Since I've owned the car I've actually never used the navigation as I didn't have a disk. Recently I was able to obtain a free copy of the 2013 maps, and thought awesome can finally use it. Put the disk in the nav unit and nothing it wouldn't read it. After some research on this very useful website I see there is a software update for my unit. So I print out the TSB floating around here and set up an appointment at Ed Morse Cadillac in Del Ray Beach, FL. So yesterday I drop the car off at 8:30 am now the service adviser was very friendly and didn't know of this update but once I gave him the paper work he looked it up and assured me they had the update disk floating around and could get it done. 8 hours later he calls to tell me my unit wouldn't take the update and he thinks it needs to be REPLACED!!! I find this way to hard to believe everything else works great Radio, Xm, OnStar, Bluetooth. I asked if he had an old disk we could try to see if it would at least read that and no he didn't. So now they want me to leave my car with them for god only knows how many days to really dig into it (his words not mine). But before I do that and see the $ rack up I wanted the opinion of the community, maybe someone has an old Nav disk they could allow me to use to test my system or just point me in the right direction. Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm going crazy trying to get this damn Nav working. Thanks again guys for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: Nav updata issues need some help or advice!

I would assume they simply are unable to do the update and want to replace the whole unit and take the gamble that the replacement will already have the update on it.
    (May be a lack of tech knowledge or are unable to locate the firmware upgrade disk).

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

... quite possible

or the nav drive really is toast

... would kind of make sense as to why there was no disc in there in the first place
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Well I don't want to rule out the drive being OK until I can actually test it with an older disc. Rippy any way you could help with that? I don't mind paying for it at all. Would hate to change out my whole unit without ruling out all the possibilities first. Also they did state they've never done this update before so it could very well be lack of knowledge. Also even if my Nav unit was "Toast" that wouldn't stop the entire unit from receiving the update, which according to them its not taking the update. On the TSB it says certain on screen buttons would be moved around but everything is the same as it was, so I can tell no update has been applied to the software period regardless if the disc drive works or not.

----------

I bought the car used and was told the owner didn't turn it in with the old disc.

hmm... not sure if i can help

what you would need is a 2005 or 2006 disc that is known to be good and working
    the best way to get a hold of one might be used car lots ... check around for one that has a 2005 or 2006 with nav and then go down there and ask nicely to try their disc in your car

that or buy one on ebay for like $50 and hope/trust that it's good and not damaged or scratched
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Man this whole Nav system thing is turning out to be a real pain! I appreciate the advice Rippy, Ill check out ebay and see what I find. Think I should call up another dealer and find one with experience doing this update? And I remember seeing a thread where you had the actual update disc that is proven to work. Anyway I could possibly get you to shoot a copy to my dealership if at all possible?

PontiacV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS, Sold: 1997 Cadillac Seville STS (EXP)

...btw...the update contains 2 CDs...it's not a single one...

GM 15943724
    CD1 Software Version V01.0C
    CD2 Software Version V0FC1

...both must be used...and a Tech II...

(...my dealer lost his set...ordered a spare and after 2 month or so he received only one (copied) disc and didn't get the second...gladly I could find myself a set on ebay in between... )

...thats the "service" from Cadillac Europe...

Pontiac thanks for chiming in! Now I'm really starting to doubt that my dealership even has the correct CD's, they certainly only mentioned it as using one disc. Are those your copies Pontiac? If so anyway you'd be willing to copy and send to my dealer?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Here is some more info from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by WillySTS View Post
    Here is the Nav Radio update

Document ID# 1889058
    2007 Cadillac STS

Map DVD Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth #05-08-126-001A - (01/18/2007)
    Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac STS
    Built Prior to December, 2006
    with Navigation Radio (RPO YQ4)

Condition

Some customers may comment of any or all of the following conditions:
    • Poor performance of the voice recognition system.
    • The memory seat function operation is too complicated to set.
    • The navigation radio touch screen locks up.
    • The navigation radio displays "Disc Inserted is Not a Map DVD" even though a map DVD is installed.
    • A telephone number cannot be dialed via "Bluetooth". This occurs after the customer has added and/or deleted more than 50 inputs.
    • When using "Bluetooth", the outbound caller is very faint and cannot be heard well.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by the navigation system software.

Correction

Important: After the software updates are complete, the customer may notice that some functions have been moved to different screen locations.
    Some voice recognition commands that were used infrequently have been deleted.
    If a voice command is not recognized, the navigation radio will now prompt the user to speak the command up to three times.

Technicians are to perform a software update on the audio and navigation systems using the following procedure:
    1. Record the customer's radio station presets.
    2. Connect a Tech 2® to the vehicle and cycle the ignition to ON with the engine off. This mode can be reached by depressing the lower part of the ignition switch for about 5 or 6 seconds.
    The upper button, with a circle on it, will illuminate.
    3. Wait until the audio or map screen is displayed after the Cadillac logo screen.
    Important: If the navigation system software is the same or higher than version 0FC, the software update will not start and the navigation software update is not necessary.
    DO NOT insert disc 2 into the radio.

4. Eject the map DVD, if loaded. Load the navigation system software update CD, disc 1, into the map DVD loading slot.
    5. The statement "Preparing to load system software" will appear on the screen along with a progress bar.
    When the green progress bar reaches the end, the navigation software update using disc 1 is complete and the system will automatically restart.
    6. Eject software update disc 1 from the map DVD slot.
    7. Load the audio system software update, disc 2, into the map DVD slot.
    8. A progress bar will be displayed on the lower left side of the screen. Japanese text will appear above the progress bar.
    When the yellow progress bar reaches the end, the audio system software update using disc 2 is complete and the system automatically restarts.
    9. Eject the audio system update CD, disc 2, from the map DVD slot.

10. Use the Tech 2® to complete the following steps to initialize the audio and navigation software:
    10.1. Select: Diagnostics
    10.2. Select: Model year
    10.3. Select: Vehicle type
    10.4. Select: Product make
    10.5. Select: Product line
    10.6. Select: Product series
    10.7. Select: F7 Body & Accessory
    10.8. Select: Entertainment
    10.9. Select: F5 Module Set-up
    10.10. Select: F2 Navigation Radio
    10.11. Select: F0 Audio Update Initialize (takes approximately 30 seconds)
    10.12. Select: "Next".
    Note: A loss of communication will be experienced, power the Tech 2® off and then back on and follow steps 10.1 through 10.9,
    then proceed to step 10.13 to continue initializing the Navigation system.
    10.13. Select: F1 Navigation Update Initialize (takes approximately 30 seconds)
    10.14. Select: "On". The "Commanded State" will switch from "none" to "on" and the screen will flash and come up to the radio display.
    10.15. Exit back to the "Body/Accessory" screen then select F7: Body/Accessory
    10.16. Select: Entertainment
    10.17. Select: F4 Module information
    10.18. Select: F1 Navigation radio. Verify that the software versions are:
    - Navigation system software version = 0FC1
    - Audio system software version = 010C
    30. Cycle the ignition to OFF.
    31. Open and close the driver's door and wait for 60 seconds.
    32. Cycle the ignition to ON.
    33. Load the customer's map DVD into the lower slot located below the navigation system screen.
    34. After inserting the map DVD, touch the "I agree" screen button. If the "I agree" screen does not come up, select the "globe"/map key to access the navigation screen.
    35. Reset the radio presets to the customer's preferences.
    36. Verify that the navigation system reflects the correct location of the vehicle. If necessary, recalibrate the navigation system.
    Refer to the STS Owner Navigation Manual supplement (pages 2-59 and 2-60) for more information.
    37. Cycle the ignition to OFF. The software update is now complete.

Voice Recognition Commands

Please provide an updated list of the voice recognition commands that are currently available to your customers.
    Customers with a 2005 model year vehicle may not have had some of these commands available to them with their old navigation system software.
    Refer to the latest list that is a part of the Owner Manual Supplement on the Navigation System that is available in SI.
    Information about voice recognition is available in SI. Refer to Voice Recognition.

Parts Information

Obtain a software upgrade disc set by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center at 1-877-628-3472 per Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-012A
    (DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information). The center will require your BAC code, dealer code and shipping address.
    Advanced Vehicle Navigation (AVN) software discs are for the dealer to update the navigation radio software only.
    They DO NOT update or replace the navigation map disc that is supplied with the vehicle. Please order these parts only as needed.
    There is a limited supply of these discs available. Do not order these discs for stock. The AVN software update discs can be used to reprogram more than one vehicle.
    The first update disc for each part number is free. Subsequent copies of the same part number for the same dealer will cost $50.

Part Number Description Qty
    15943724 Disc - Navigation Data (Software Update Disc Set) 1

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    R9707* Radio/Navigation Reprogram 0.7 hr
    *This labor operation is for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".
    They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.
    Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.
    If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.
    See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
    © Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    Note: Code 9448 may not work for all units (it would seem that 660 works for some units as well, another possible is 295660) and certainly be aware that you should exercise extreme caution on what you press in here.

Quote Originally Posted by ssstealth View Post

From the NAV screen push "MENU" and then hold center of screen next to title for 5+ seconds and enter "9448" when you get the keypad.

Push the "Software Info" button...

Push the "Next Page" button

Now you can read the version number in the left column

carter527 and carter527 like this.

I do have .iso copies of those two cd's

one is small enough to email but the other has to be broken up into about 6 or 7 .rar files to squeeze through email servers

if you can use WinRAR i can email them to you and you can burn your own copies

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    FYI, I did not need the firmware upgrade until the 2012 disc. The 2011 disc and earlier still worked with the old firmware. Others on this site reported the same thing.
    dkozloski and dkozloski like this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Hey '86 - Why not just try a dealer with a good service department?

Go see a movie or have lunch while they upgrade your firmware. It shouldn't take an hour.

Yeah, lots of us have had it done. I've had it done to two cars. Some of us got lucky and had good dealers. Others had to find a good one.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by carter's_sts View Post
    FYI, I did not need the firmware upgrade until the 2012 disc. The 2011 disc and earlier still worked with the old firmware. Others on this site reported the same thing.
    What version number was the disc for 2011?

I have an 07 and it came with version 3.0, I was able to find version 5.0 on ebay (2009 I think it was) and it worked without a trip to the dealer.

It's a real shame GM doesn't include the update with the nav disc, it used to be part of the nav disc.

I just looked at my past eBay purchase and it was version 7.0. I bet if the OP got that version it would work. I only ever had the Western US disc.

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    What version number was the disc for 2011?

----------

Check this out. Right from the GMNAVDISC.COM Web site...............Dealers should not be charging for the upgrade:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...llProducts=YES

Attention Model Year 2005-07 Cadillac STS owners with vehicles built before December 2006: This map update is compatible with your navigation system. However, before this disc can be installed, your vehicle may require a software update. Please contact your local dealer to determine if this software update is required for your vehicle. If it is, your dealer will make arrangements to update your system's software at no cost to you.

I started a new thread with this info because a lot of people might be interested in this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.