2008 STS front lights ID and allowable combinations
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2008 STS front lights ID and allowable combinations in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just bought a 2008 STS and I am having a problem determining which light is which on the front of ...
    GuaymasJim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

2008 STS front lights ID and allowable combinations

Just bought a 2008 STS and I am having a problem determining which light is which on the front of the car. Being an old fart, I have been around cars for 50 years, but the terminology is confusing me.

There are two large bulbs and a very small bulb in the head light assembly (high and low beam), a rectangular orange light just below the assembly and then a rectangular while light below that. I have no idea what the little light is called and unfortunately one of them is burned out. I understand that the entire headlight assembly has to be removed (along with the front bumper to change bulbs so I would like to try to do everything I need to do the first time. I too have a lot of condensation in both L/R assemblies that needs to be addressed.

I don't seem to be able to get the combinations I want using the light switches on steering column.

I would like to have the orange light on most all of the time regardless of what other lights are on. Also, I would like the lowest lights (daylight running lights--I think) on when the high beams are on. (If you saw the highway I frequently drive you would understand why!!!) I need to really light up the road because there are some really dangerous potholes, road damage, big rocks, car parts, and other objects I would rather avoid.

I have read other parts of this forum and it is my understanding that since my STS has headlight washers I have HID bulbs. I would like to bump up the brightness on all of the front lights brightness as much as is legal.

Any discussion/suggestions would be very much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: 2008 STS front lights ID and allowable combinations

Imagine this is the headlight:

O
    Q.

And this is the foglight/DRL/Signal:

Ø
    @

--------------

So for the headlight:
    O = Low beam Halogen H11 ~3700k (yellowish white) color or HID D1S ~4300k (whitish yellow) color
    Q = High beam Halogen H11? Or 9005? ~3700k (yellowish white) color
    . = "City Light" Halogen? 194 lamp ~3700k (yellowish white) color

--------------

For the foglight/DRL/Signal:

Ø = DRL or Turn Signal 3157NA Amber colored (thanks darkmingblue... Forgot that one)
    @ = Fog lamp H3-55W ~3700k (yellowish white) color

--------------
    Possible Stock Combinations are:
    Low beam + City
    Low beam + City + Fog
    Low beam + City + High beam
    City + Fog
    DRL only
    DRL + City
    DRL + City + Fog

Flash-to-pass in daytime will illuminate High beam only, at night it will turn off fog lamps for the duration of the flash.

I don't know of an easy method of making the high beams the DRLs and don't recommend it at least not at full intensity.
    When GM did highbeam as DRL they wired the headlights differently so that they were wired in series to provide half voltage and reduce intensity for the highbeam lamps.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: 2008 STS front lights ID and allowable combinations

The . or 'City' light is also know as the 'peanut bulb'. The OEM version for HID-equipped cars has a blue tint to help with color-match. I think Cadillac did a better than average job with lighting but should have put the headlight washers on a separate switch; but they don't use as much solvent as it seems.

There are laws that restict fogs & high-beams so do your homework rather than get surprised. With some regularity, approaching drivers think I'm running with my brights on (I'm not). Yes, they really are aimed correctly. I do like the Intellibeam and it works very well but isn't perfect; I use the lever-reset on those fdwe occasions when a quick cancel is polite.

The headlight assemblies do not need to be removed to change bulbs. Some members don't remove the bumper cover but I convinced they don't save much (if any) time.

----------

I don't much care for the extreme LED highlights in the new cars. It's more gaudy than classy to me.

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    The amber bulb is a 3157

DarkMingBlueSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 6 CYL
    Yeah you nailed it Luda except for the 3157 and I realized I forgot the A after 3157

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.