06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys and gals! I recently purchased this 06 STS AWD with 70k. Lots of life left on the Continental ...
    jonesjacob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts

06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension?

Hey guys and gals! I recently purchased this 06 STS AWD with 70k. Lots of life left on the Continental tires. Im about 20 days into my 60 day warranty.

Ive put about 100 miles on it and noticed a slight shake in the steering wheel and a vibration coming through the body, most noticeable above 50 mph. No shimmy/shake under braking. I took it in to a local Chevy/GMC dealer (not where I bought it due to distance) and had it aligned, balanced, and road tested. It was out of alignment, wheels were out of balance, and the road test came back good (15 pounds whatever that means). The mechanic said all of my suspension components were good. It did help the steering wheel shake and body vibration but did not totally eliminate it.

In my opinion it seems that the rear of the car is sitting lower than it should be. And it "squats" quite a bit under harder acceleration, from a stop and rolling.

Ive attached a couple pictures of the car. You can tell it sits much lower in the rear than the front. Im thinking the source of the problem could be from bad rear shocks/struts (im not too knowledgeable on suspension stuff)...

I guess Im hoping ya'll can chime in and point me in the right direction before I approach my Dealership about getting it fixed.

Thanks!!!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    V6 or N*. Rpo F55 magride?

Re: 06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension?

4.6 N* with Magride...

Do you hear the rear air ride compressor self test on start up?

About 10 seconds after start up I can hear the compressor kick in for about 10 seconds

Then your air ride is functioning fine

I should add that the shake in the steering wheel is very slight. Its a high "frequency" shake but not a lot of force behind it. Some may not even think its worth bothering with. The vibration through the body is more noticeable, but again, not super bad. The steering wheel vibration is more noticeable on a hill climb or in like a clover leaf. When there is some force/acceleration behind it.

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    I would say tires need balancing but you said you did that so maybe loose lug nuts drive shaft out of balance or shaking. I'm just guessing here what could cause a vibration. Or tires are just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by B1n2fra View Post
    Tires need balancing maybe. Cheap thing to t try
    Tires are balanced.

dannyquest is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

jonesjacob1, Could be a bent rim. Can you rotate wheels front to back to see if any things changes. Maybe a belt seperation. Lift the car up and spin the wheels by hand to check for run out or bump in the tread. At 50mph put the transmission in neutral to see if vibration stops. Danny

----------

jonesjacob1, Just before my torque converter was replaced it would shake under light acceleration up hill. Danny

[/COLOR][QUOTE=jonesjacob1, Just before my torque converter was replaced it would shake under light acceleration up hill. Danny[/QUOTE]

Did you take it in for the shake and they told you it was the converter? How did you know the converter was going out?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Tires can have tread left and still have uneven wear; much more likely than driveline issues.

Baby needs new shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Tires can have tread left and still have uneven wear; much more likely than driveline issues.

Baby needs new shoes?
    I didnt want to say anything because I was hoping somebody would think the fact it sits so low in the rear was a problem... But the after the dealer balanced and aligned and it still had a slight vibration (but better) he said it may just need new tires... I thought Continental's were good?

What could be causing it to sit so much lower in the rear than the front?

Ludacrisvp is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

check for oil (MRC fluid) leaking from the shocks?
    Maybe its the front that is the issue... as in its higher than it should be causing the back to squat?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Even the best tires naturally develop wear patterns. Failure to rotate tires regularly makes those wear patterns more severe. Rotating them regularly evens our wear and lengthens treadlife, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.