06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by dannyquest jonesjacob1, Could be a bent rim. Can you rotate wheels front to back to see if ...
    jonesjacob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts

Re: 06 STS new to me... Bad rear suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    jonesjacob1, Could be a bent rim. Can you rotate wheels front to back to see if any things changes. Maybe a belt seperation. Lift the car up and spin the wheels by hand to check for run out or bump in the tread. At 50mph put the transmission in neutral to see if vibration stops. Danny

----------

jonesjacob1, Just before my torque converter was replaced it would shake under light acceleration up hill. Danny
    I dropped it into neutral going about 60 down a hill this morning and the vibration stayed. Im hoping that means not the toque converter. ..

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

jonesjacob1, Was engine at idle. Swap wheels with some one. Better yet test drive a STS from a car dealer and swap wheels. A tire can be balance perfect but can roll like an egg. Danny

Quote Originally Posted by dannyquest View Post
    jonesjacob1, Was engine at idle. Swap wheels with some one. Better yet test drive a STS from a car dealer and swap wheels. A tire can be balance perfect but can roll like an egg. Danny
    Ya she went down to idle after I put it into neutral.

That's a good idea, I'm pretty sure the steering vibration is going to be tire related. What is concerning me more is how low the rear sits. I put a couple pieces of equipment in the trunk today and it looked close to bottoming out. Just hoping the dealership doesn't try to say nothing is wrong or say it isn't covered or some other bs...

dannyquest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS 95,000 miles

jonesjacob1, That what the saleperson/dealer always say. There nothing wrong, its will be fine. Trust me. Danny

STS-4000 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-4 1SG, ACC, HUD, F55/FE3

My sts also sits low in the rear. I wonder if that's a magride thing?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

^^^ No.

I'll be taking her in next week. Wish me luck! Also going to opt for an extended warranty, sounds like money well spent. Hopefully I can purchase it while it's still under the 60 day warranty. They didn't tell me about it when I bought it. ..

STS-4000 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-4 1SG, ACC, HUD, F55/FE3

Right on. Keep us updated, man.

JJ- If the dealer's Finance or Business Manager didn't try to sell you a warranty, they may not like that area of the business. Most dealers find them a profitable product. Are they a Cadillac dealer?

Do they have a strong service department?

06WhiteDiamond is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS4

Quote Originally Posted by mckellyb View Post
    Or, if both front and rear tires are the same size, remove the center cap on one of the rears and see if it says REAR on the wheel.
    17" Polished wheel
    235/50/17 all around.

Yeah its a bit confusing, is their any sort of RPO code that would also show the staggered setup? I removed the center cap on one of the rear wheels and the only thing i saw was "GM" beneath the center cap by the lug nuts. I recently had the car in the shop for wheel balancing i guess they may have put the rear rims on the front of the car without knowing that i have the staggered setup?

B1n2fra is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 1SG Cadillac sts v8 awd
    Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteDiamond View Post

17" Polished wheel
    235/50/17 all around.

Yeah its a bit confusing, is their any sort of RPO code that would also show the staggered setup? I removed the center cap on one of the rear wheels and the only thing i saw was "GM" beneath the center cap by the lug nuts. I recently had the car in the shop for wheel balancing i guess they may have put the rear rims on the front of the car without knowing that i have the staggered setup?
    If you had a staggered setup it would show two different tire sizes in the door jam on the sticker. I bought my car used and it had 245 45 18 all the way round but when I read the door jam I seen that the car originally came with the staggered tire setup of 235 50 18 front and 255 45 18 rear.
    EChas3 and EChas3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteDiamond View Post
    I recently had the car in the shop for wheel balancing i guess they may have put the rear rims on the front of the car without knowing that i have the staggered setup?
    Don't ever expect a shop to know your car. A staggered setup isn't normal or easy to see. Would you notice the difference in a tire 8 inches wide versus 8.75 inches wide?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.