fan clutch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, fan clutch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i am experiencing a knocking noise in what i thought was my engine it turns out that the noise is ...
    neverlateSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4

fan clutch

i am experiencing a knocking noise in what i thought was my engine it turns out that the noise is being generated by what i am seeing as wear in the bushings that drive the fan from the crank studs. if i rotate the fan from side to side you can see the y shaped bracket move about the studs and it makes a clunking sound as it it hits the limit of the bushing wear. I am just out of warranty and dont hold much hope in any dealer help. i am considering replacing the bracket and fan clutch assembly. has anyone else had to do this? hard to believe the dealer could not find this for the last 8 months after repeated complaints with the typical can't duplicate customer complaint reponse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1crock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

Re: fan clutch

If you have written proof that you complained about this while the car was under warranty, it's still covered. Take it back and show them what the problem is.
    EChas3 and EChas3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1crock View Post
    If you have written proof that you complained about this while the car was under warranty, it's still covered. Take it back and show them what the problem is.
    I called around for parts today and they are not available locally only from lansing mich. I contacted the dealer that did all my service work and he set an appointment for Tuesday to evaluate and then see if we can get some help from GM. He said there is no guarantee since we are out of warranty. Wish me luck.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If they were unable to fix it while under warranty, it's covered. Be nice but be persistent. A good service manager will go to bat for you. A great dealership won't stop until you are completely satisified.

My wife & I have bought 5 cars from a great dealership.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by neverlateSTS View Post
    I called around for parts today and they are not available locally only from lansing mich. I contacted the dealer that did all my service work and he set an appointment for Tuesday to evaluate and then see if we can get some help from GM. He said there is no guarantee since we are out of warranty. Wish me luck.
    Neverlate, I look forward to your updates after consulting with your dealer this week! If you do have concerns after speaking with them and receiving a diagnosis, please let me know. Customer Service is happy to step in to follow up with your dealer on your behalf if you wish!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

jonesjacob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts

Has anyone converted to an electric fan? Seems like this would be a good upgrade and maybe help with a few better mpg's...

Electric fans are standard. I think option V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE is worth a few HP.

Katie thanks for your concern and response the service director called a rep last tuesday and agreed to cover the repair. I took it in on Thursday and they replaced the worn out bracket mount assy. unfortunately it only eliminated part of the noise. I am considering taking it to another Cadillac dealer and paying them to test the car and figure out what this noise is. I cant believe that GM would make an engine in a car this expensive that would sound like a diesel on acceleration. My son was home this weekend and he heard it also. Both of us have been building and racing for many years and this has us stumped.I have a Northstar in my Dads DTS and it has never made a peep and it is an '01. This has been ongoing for the last 23000 miles. I am very dissapointed with the results and no one can tell me if I should be alarmed or not. I asked about the VVT functions but it seems like it is a secret. oh well Thanks again Katie I will see what i can figure out I am looking for a Northstar expert in the Tampa area.

Say, why the AWD in Florida?

Good luck with your issue!

i purchased this awd because it was the nicest piece I could find and had all the equipment I wanted.It has a solid roof which was hard to find. The awd is actually very nice when we get the hard rains of summer that spring up. Probably would not do it again as it is just more upkeep and rotating mass.Gas mileage suffers locally but highway is ok.I really like this car but if I don't get this issue solved in the next week I will probably off it on a trade for something else and cut my losses.I don't know enough about Northstar engines to solve this but I have built some on the edge horsepower and never had this kind of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Electric fans are standard. I think option V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE is worth a few HP.
    Is the V03 code in the VIN? I definitely have a clutch fan, which surprised me. My 06 seems to have every other option.. im definitely going to talk to a dealer about getting an electric fan.

Anybody do an aftermarket install? I've tried searching but no luck. The search on this Site kinda sucks...

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjacob1

Is the V03 code in the VIN?
    No.

All RPO codes are on a label somewhere in your car. Not sure exactly where on an STS, on the underside if the spare tire cover?

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Yeah it should be under the spare tire cover.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesjacob1 View Post
    ...Is the V03 code in the VIN?...
    Jones, I see MoistCabbage and Ludacrisvp stepped in to assist! I also wanted to let you know I'm happy to provide you with a copy of your STS's build sheet with all its option codes. Simply send me an email with the last eight of your VIN (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com), and I'm happy to to pass that information along to you.

Quote Originally Posted by neverlateSTS View Post
    Katie thanks for your concern and response the service director called a rep last tuesday and agreed to cover the repair. I took it in on Thursday and they replaced the worn out bracket mount assy. unfortunately it only eliminated part of the noise. I am considering taking it to another Cadillac dealer and paying them to test the car and figure out what this noise is. I cant believe that GM would make an engine in a car this expensive that would sound like a diesel on acceleration. My son was home this weekend and he heard it also. Both of us have been building and racing for many years and this has us stumped.I have a Northstar in my Dads DTS and it has never made a peep and it is an '01. This has been ongoing for the last 23000 miles. I am very dissapointed with the results and no one can tell me if I should be alarmed or not. I asked about the VVT functions but it seems like it is a secret. oh well Thanks again Katie I will see what i can figure out I am looking for a Northstar expert in the Tampa area.
    Neverlate, I'm sorry the concern persists for you, and please do keep me in the loop if you would like any assistance working towards a resolution. We're happy to help where we can!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Katie,

This is why I love my Cadillacs! Proactive customer service reps! I'll be getting that to you soon!

Do you have information on the "Performance cooling package"? Cost, installation procedure, etc?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.