fan clutch - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, fan clutch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for the kind words, Jones! I can definitely check my resources on your behalf for details, although (as a ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: fan clutch

Thanks for the kind words, Jones! I can definitely check my resources on your behalf for details, although (as a Customer Service representative) I am unable to provide much in the way of DIY instructions. So, I do recommend consulting with your dealership about your installation concerns in the meantime!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Some N*'s are noisier with no real problem. If yours is one of those & it bugs you, that's that.

Did the new bracket help?
    Are you sure the noise is near the fan?
    Can you reproduce the noise with the car standing still?

If so, the old hose trick may pay a dividend...

Take a short (2-3') length of garden hose and put one end to your ear while your assistant reproduces the noise. Be careful near the fan bot could it come from any other area?

neverlateSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Some N*'s are noisier with no real problem. If yours is one of those & it bugs you, that's that.

Did the new bracket help?
    Are you sure the noise is near the fan?
    Can you reproduce the noise with the car standing still?

If so, the old hose trick may pay a dividend...

Take a short (2-3') length of garden hose and put one end to your ear while your assistant reproduces the noise. Be careful near the fan bot could it come from any other area?
    I have used a mechanics stethascope but the noise isnt present at idle or in neutral. The new fan bracket did take out some noise when it was replaced but the noise i am hearing is very evident when under light acceleration or if i was to hold the car in 1st gear and let the engine stay at a slightly elevated rpm. if the engine is in higher gears and a load is applied without an upshift it sounds normal but dont let it upshift as the higher rpms with no real drag will make this sound like a diesel engine. If you are between cars or near a building it is very pronounced. The worst is 1-3 gear. i am almost wondering if it could be in the timing chains or their guides.i do not know anything about this VVT and overhead cam set up as I have been driving a Corvette with their LS series engines and understand that architecture. This is the first time in all my years building some extreme horsepower that I can't put my finger on the issue. If i dont get an solid answer this week it may be time to let it go and find something else.I really like this car though and it would be hard to give it up.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

How about light throttle with the brakes on? (I'm still hoping to localize the sound.)

The V8's don't have a pattern of timing chain/guide wear but anything can happen.

neverlateSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    How about light throttle with the brakes on? (I'm still hoping to localize the sound.)

The V8's don't have a pattern of timing chain/guide wear but anything can happen.
    just an update my car has been at the dealer for a couple of days and they now have a case number given to me from customer service and have been consulting with the engineers at Cadillac. They admit they can hear what i have been complaining about but cant put their finger on it yet.They hooked a tech 2 to the car and had the shop tech/foreman take the car home to drive it in extended traffic and such. Hopefully this will help narrow down the issue. Yes they asked my permission.It has to be very frustrating for them also as it seems to be evasive at times. I will post the outcome as soon as I know something.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.