Engine Replacement question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Engine Replacement question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey, So I have a 05 STS V6 that had to get a new engine since the timing chain messed ...
    KingMack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 3.6L V6

Engine Replacement question

Hey,

So I have a 05 STS V6 that had to get a new engine since the timing chain messed up on me...long story. I love the car so much that I went on and did that. I am having the new engine put in now. But I was wondering since that car has remote start is that something that needs to be moved from my old engine onto this new one so it still works, or is it something that just plugs into the new engine?? I really don't want to lose that feature.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

Re: Engine Replacement question

This is built in to the car computer systems. It will be there when the replacement is done.
    Its not like an after market system that is tapped in to existing wiring (but even then it would likely still be there after the replacement too unless the installer did it poorly).

Ok, Great thanks a lot. I was worried about that.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

This does assume the new engine is correct for the car. If it's used or rebuilt, it needs to be out of the same year STS or checked for compatibility. 'Small' differences can lead to trouble.

Good luck!

Thanks, I really hope there will be no problems the engine is the same just a different year. However I did check compatibility and it said it was compatible. So I am praying for no issues.

caddyman72 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1974 Eldorodo Convt. (58,000 miles) 2005 STS

Hello, I have a 2005 STS also, I think you should know that I'm not so sure it was the timing belt. I found out the hard way that these V6 engines are notorious for play in the camshaft that grinds down the camshaft sensors and destroys the engine. when it happened to me it just stoped and I got a cam sensor code. I'd watch the new one because it's going to happen again. Other that there great cars.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 121k

The timing chain(not a belt) issue is WELL documented here on CF....The 3.6L LY7 engines used from 2004(CTS) to 2007(STS/CTS) are notorious for using oil due to a very poorly designed PCV system. Low oil causes added friction to be applied to the timing chains and they eventually develop slack and often completely break while the engine is running causing severe valve and cylinder wall damage. This issue is even present in the newer LLT direct injection 3.6L so GM still didn't get it right...Hence why I bought a Northstar
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

carter527 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 3.6L VVT 1SB White Diamond Pearl

Get off the N* comment, my V6 has 137 thousand miles with no problems, never replaced any timing chains, some people have had problems, yes! but its not like everyone haves problems. the N* is not that much better. the one I had in my Deville leaked like a cist and it went through way more oil than my V6 sts.

orange57 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS Northstar RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by carter527 View Post
    Get off the N* comment, my V6 has 137 thousand miles with no problems, never replaced any timing chains, some people have had problems, yes! but its not like everyone haves problems. the N* is not that much better. the one I had in my Deville leaked like a cist and it went through way more oil than my V6 sts.
    The Deville Northstar is a different animal. Engine was redesigned for RWD. Probably the reason we hear about more issues with the V6 is that it was used in more vehicles and is more common of an engine. GM uses that engine across their fleet. That and the CTS sold in much greater numbers than the STS. The only vehicles with the Northstar were the STS, SRX and XLR, which didn't sell in huge numbers compared to other vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    The Deville Northstar is a different animal. Engine was redesigned for RWD. Probably the reason we hear about more issues with the V6 is that it was used in more vehicles and is more common of an engine. GM uses that engine across their fleet. That and the CTS sold in much greater numbers than the STS. The only vehicles with the Northstar were the STS, SRX and XLR, which didn't sell in huge numbers compared to other vehicles.
    Redesign? for a RWD? im sorry but that was funny, all GM did was try to fix the head gasket problem, changes from FWD to RWD? turn the engine 90 degrees. no brainer. Im just saying that the V6 is not a bad engine and its funny how people that have a N* want to put it down when they hear a few people talk bad about the V6 but they have no first hand knowledge.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    People on here do love to slam the V6. I think there have been a few horror stories and those get repeated a lot. It would be interesting to know the actual percentage of V6s that have had issues. My V6 has had no issues and doesn't use any oil.
    carter527 and carter527 like this.

Redesign? for a RWD? im sorry but that was funny, all GM did was try to fix the head gasket problem, changes from FWD to RWD? turn the engine 90 degrees. no brainer. Im just saying that the V6 is not a bad engine and its funny how people that have a N* want to put it down when they hear a few people talk bad about the V6 but they have no first hand knowledge.
    Ummm...I have first hand knowledge, I owned a 3.6L CTS...Also have a friend who works as a tech at a GM dealer...guess what he says about the LY7 and LLT V6's? "DON'T EVER BUY ONE!"

I'm not saying they are all completely junk, just acknowledging the fact that they have a serious design flaw.

The redesign of the Northstar not only included a change to RWD/AWD but they also added VVT...The HG issue is pretty much non-existent with these, my dealer says they have NEVER done one.
    Subsailor613 and Subsailor613 like this.
    Past Cadillac's

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    Ummm...I have first hand knowledge, I owned a 3.6L CTS...Also have a friend who works as a tech at a GM dealer...guess what he says about the LY7 and LLT V6's? "DON'T EVER BUY ONE!"

I'm not saying they are all completely junk, just acknowledging the fact that they have a serious design flaw.

The redesign of the Northstar not only included a change to RWD/AWD but they also added VVT...The HG issue is pretty much non-existent with these, my dealer says they have NEVER done one.
    Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the 3.6 but that is not the case for everyone. what 1 in 100 motors might have this problem? even then thats not bad. quit ragging on the 3.6 like carter sts said, the same story keeps getting repeated

Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the 3.6 but that is not the case for everyone. what 1 in 100 motors might have this problem? even then thats not bad. quit ragging on the 3.6 like carter sts said, the same story keeps getting repeated
    I never said ALL of the V6's are bad, just that they are well known for burning oil and snapping chains, something I'll stay clear of from now on...Peruse the 1st Gen CTS forum, TONS of timing chain horror stories there...More CTS's got the 3.6 so more of those have been impacted by this issue and this forum has plenty of evidence to back that up. Why the special coverage for the 07's and not 04-06? Cause those were out of warranty and no longer a worry to GM? It's the same engine and same chain, no reason to exclude those except to save face...GM knows they screwed up, just afraid to admit it.
    carter527 and carter527 like this.
    Past Cadillac's

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    I never said ALL of the V6's are bad, just that they are well known for burning oil and snapping chains, something I'll stay clear of from now on...Peruse the 1st Gen CTS forum, TONS of timing chain horror stories there...More CTS's got the 3.6 so more of those have been impacted by this issue and this forum has plenty of evidence to back that up. Why the special coverage for the 07's and not 04-06? Cause those were out of warranty and no longer a worry to GM? It's the same engine and same chain, no reason to exclude those except to save face...GM knows they screwed up, just afraid to admit it.
    Okay I agree with that statement!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.