Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine Replacement question

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  curtc 
#1 ·
Hey,

So I have a 05 STS V6 that had to get a new engine since the timing chain messed up on me...long story. I love the car so much that I went on and did that. I am having the new engine put in now. But I was wondering since that car has remote start is that something that needs to be moved from my old engine onto this new one so it still works, or is it something that just plugs into the new engine?? I really don't want to lose that feature.

Thanks,

#2 ·
This is built in to the car computer systems. It will be there when the replacement is done.
Its not like an after market system that is tapped in to existing wiring (but even then it would likely still be there after the replacement too unless the installer did it poorly).

#6 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 STS also, I think you should know that I'm not so sure it was the timing belt. I found out the hard way that these V6 engines are notorious for play in the camshaft that grinds down the camshaft sensors and destroys the engine. when it happened to me it just stoped and I got a cam sensor code. I'd watch the new one because it's going to happen again. Other that there great cars.

#7 ·
The timing chain(not a belt) issue is WELL documented here on CF....The 3.6L LY7 engines used from 2004(CTS) to 2007(STS/CTS) are notorious for using oil due to a very poorly designed PCV system. Low oil causes added friction to be applied to the timing chains and they eventually develop slack and often completely break while the engine is running causing severe valve and cylinder wall damage. This issue is even present in the newer LLT direct injection 3.6L so GM still didn't get it right...Hence why I bought a Northstar :)

#8 ·
Get off the N* comment, my V6 has 137 thousand miles with no problems, never replaced any timing chains, some people have had problems, yes! but its not like everyone haves problems. the N* is not that much better. the one I had in my Deville leaked like a cist and it went through way more oil than my V6 sts.

#9 ·
The Deville Northstar is a different animal. Engine was redesigned for RWD. Probably the reason we hear about more issues with the V6 is that it was used in more vehicles and is more common of an engine. GM uses that engine across their fleet. That and the CTS sold in much greater numbers than the STS. The only vehicles with the Northstar were the STS, SRX and XLR, which didn't sell in huge numbers compared to other vehicles.

#10 ·
Redesign? for a RWD? im sorry but that was funny, all GM did was try to fix the head gasket problem, changes from FWD to RWD? turn the engine 90 degrees. no brainer. Im just saying that the V6 is not a bad engine and its funny how people that have a N* want to put it down when they hear a few people talk bad about the V6 but they have no first hand knowledge.

#12 ·
Redesign? for a RWD? im sorry but that was funny, all GM did was try to fix the head gasket problem, changes from FWD to RWD? turn the engine 90 degrees. no brainer. Im just saying that the V6 is not a bad engine and its funny how people that have a N* want to put it down when they hear a few people talk bad about the V6 but they have no first hand knowledge.
Ummm...I have first hand knowledge, I owned a 3.6L CTS...Also have a friend who works as a tech at a GM dealer...guess what he says about the LY7 and LLT V6's? "DON'T EVER BUY ONE!"

I'm not saying they are all completely junk, just acknowledging the fact that they have a serious design flaw.

The redesign of the Northstar not only included a change to RWD/AWD but they also added VVT...The HG issue is pretty much non-existent with these, my dealer says they have NEVER done one.

Reactions: sub613
#18 ·
7 northstars have gone through my family 1 had hg issues.
1 3.6 is in my family and the thing drinks oil worse than that n* with a bad hg blew coolant.

The 3.6 non di is junk. The problems of them are documented and well known. Did gm ever issue a recall for Hgs? Nope. But you bet your ass there's a recall on the 3.6 timing chains.

#19 · (Edited)
1BadCadSTS said:
The 3.6 non di is junk. The problems of them are documented and well known. Did gm ever issue a recall for Hgs? Nope. But you bet your ass there's a recall on the 3.6 timing chains.
There is no recall, just special coverage on 2007 LY7's for 10 years/120k...05\06 STS (04 CTS too) owners got nothing...

Reminds me of the 05 catalytic converter coverage....Same cats in the 06's, just as big of an issue, yet no coverage...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.